METV details

I'm going over METV details, and although I've gathered most of the important pieces of information, there are a few things which I'm having difficulty confirming.

I'm Canadian and would be staying in Thailand for more than 9 months. I would probably be getting a job after some months—w/ work permit and change to Non-Immigrant B visa—but would like to make sure I don't have issues if I choose to stay longer as a tourist.

METV
Note:
- Can only be obtained in country of citizenship/residence
- Starts when issued in home country (not on arrival)
6 months validity
30-day extension of stay possible for 1,900 THB

So, maximum stay possible would be (BR = border run):
60 days + BR + 60 days + BR + 60 days + BR (before last day) + 60 days + 30-day extension = 9 months

- Can you do a new 30-day extension after each 60-day stamp?
- Do you need to do your 30-day extension before your METV expires (before 6 months)
- What options do you have once you go past 9 months of the METV?

5 minutes ago, KevT said:

Yes, but before the visa has expired this may not make sense, depending on the hassle/cost involved in doing a border run. Remember, a border run gives you 60 days versus only 30 days for an extension.

6 minutes ago, KevT said:

- Do you need to do your 30-day extension before your METV expires (before 6 months)

No. The extension is to your permission to stay, and is not tied to your visa's expiry date in any way.

6 minutes ago, KevT said:

(Remember that your METV will give you a bit less than nine months as it is not practicable to enter Thailand on the same day the embassy issues the METV.)

Your options really depend on how much longer you want to stay, and will also potentially be impacted by changes in immigration/consulate rules that happen over about the next year. To extend your stay for a few months, it is pretty easy to get single entry tourist visas from consulates in the region, returning via a land crossing. You can also (limited to twice per year) do border hops by land to get 30-day visa exempt entries which, like entries using tourist visas, can be extended for a further 30 days on payment of 1,900 baht. Avoid using those valuable visa exempt entries by land unless you have a firm plan to go back home for an extended period after using them.

For a longer stay, unless you find a job and switch to Non B visa with work permit and extension based on working, the main options are Non Ed visa to study, or marriage to a Thai and the visas/extensions that are facilitated by that. If you are wealthy, look into the the Thailand Elite visa. If you are aged over 50, you have additional options.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, KevT said:

Yes, so that would reduce the number of border hops needed, 1,900 Baht for each extension.

No, just before your final 60 day stamp expires.

After that:-

• Single-entry tourist visas from local embassies (with extensions), visa-exempt entries => both of these will eventually attract the attention of immigration.
  • Get a job ????
  • Get married to a Thai :whistling:
  • Over 50? Retirement extension.
  • Thailand Elite ($$$)

• Thanks 1

Thank you very much, this clarifies a lot. 

For the 30-day extension, if you leave the country and return (say even if there is 15 days left of the extension), is it cancelled and the new 60-day ME stamp takes precedence?

57 minutes ago, KevT said:

For the 30-day extension, if you leave the country and return (say even if there is 15 days left of the extension), is it cancelled and the new 60-day ME stamp takes precedence?

Extension will require evidence of TM30 for immigration after each previous border run.

Up to 1600baht fine if not done.

The TM 30 form - All you need to know about it and why it matters to you

No extensions = no visits to immigration.

Out.

Edited by Enoon

21 hours ago, KevT said:

Unless you have a re-entry permit (which in the situation you describe you would not have chosen to get) your old permission to stay is completely gone once you leave the country. Assuming you have an unexpired multiple entry visa, you can use it to get a new permission to stay.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1