Police nationwide plan crackdown on warring students as Thailand goes back to school

webfact

Police nationwide plan crackdown on warring students as Thailand goes back to school

3pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

The Royal Thai Police have announced a nationwide crackdown on student gangs.

Their plan is simple but one that has proved problematical in the past. 

Enforcement of the law. 

This could also see parents prosecuted for the behavior of their errant children. 

Pol Lt-Gen Phromthorn Phak-at said at Royal Thai Police HQ yesterday that the police would be taking no nonsense from students as the school term started nationwide at government and private schools. 

If there is any trouble they will come down on warring students with the full force of the law. 

This was needed to protect society and those law abiding members who might get caught up in violence between school gangs. 

He said the police had a plan. They had collected data about problem students and problem areas. 

They would be visiting schools and mounting more patrols near educational establishments. 

In addition to coming down hard on the students themselves if there is any trouble they would also be using legislation promulgated in 2003 that allows the force to prosecute mothers, fathers and guardians for the actions of their children. 

Source: Thai Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-05-17

"In addition to coming down hard on the students themselves if there is any trouble they would also be using legislation promulgated in 2003 that allows the force to prosecute mothers, fathers and guardians for the actions of their children"

controversial but something i'd agree with in many countries, whether it has any affect as a deterrent is up to debate also.

anyway, i'd imagine like a lot things it's rarely been enforced here and i doubt that will change despite what the copper says

the parents do need to be held accountable in many cases as it is their pathetic parenting that allows it to happen, most dont even know where their kids are let alone care what they are doing. When the parents have allowed their kids to run free, ride bikes outside the legal times and not have curfews dependent on their age it is easy to see how it happens, maybe financial punishment etc will make them start to take responsibility or not, playing on their phones is so much more important

Put the offender's in a military run boot camp. 3 months of hard work and discipline might teach them a lesson. Reoffend next time 6 months and after that prison and since they like gangs so much, put them working on a chain gang. 

6 hours ago, webfact said:

In addition to coming down hard on the students themselves if there is any trouble they would also be using legislation promulgated in 2003 that allows the force to prosecute mothers, fathers and guardians for the actions of their children.

Does this include the "do you know who i am" parents with endless supplies of brown envelopes.

7 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

This is something I agree with and disagree with all in one sentence. How about prosecute the teachers?

Teachers are there to teach. Not babysit your spoiled children. How about you do your job and be a responsible parent.

5 hours ago, seajae said:

the parents do need to be held accountable in many cases as it is their pathetic parenting that allows it to happen, most dont even know where their kids are let alone care what they are doing. When the parents have allowed their kids to run free, ride bikes outside the legal times and not have curfews dependent on their age it is easy to see how it happens, maybe financial punishment etc will make them start to take responsibility or not, playing on their phones is so much more important

what about education in the schools once a week by the police explaining the laws and the punishment would also make the police more approachable  to the same students in the future .you cant change society overnight it has to be done slowly by education  

Recently there was documentary on CNA(Channel News Asia) about the murder of student simply because he was attending a rival Technical College.  Apparently there has been a history or violence by students at rival technical colleges.  

54 minutes ago, Longcut said:

Teachers are there to teach. Not babysit your spoiled children. How about you do your job and be a responsible parent.

Some Techno teachers as in males have been proven to have a role in this push of being a gang.

9 hours ago, seajae said:

well, and then the results of  „parenting“ in Europe on May 1st ????????

17D55BA4-5AF7-4557-9D7D-572E6FCA9D43.jpeg.f983d2eba415c23e26b833dd76bf6d48.jpeg

The issues are really not simply about placing sanctions on the students, parents, schools or whatever. In this society, loyalty to institutions has been inculcated over generations along with accepting one's position within it. These ghastly outbreaks of violence among such technical schools are in my view symptomatic of oftentimes blind obedience without reflection based simply on such demanded loyalties. Some prestigious (soi-même) Thai universities through that ridiculous US ritual of hazing push it through. It is troubling how such tribal loyalties can run amuck, and Thailand is not alone in this. Not having to join in, having a different point of view and not being scared to express it can lead to a reaction that is not equal and opposite, but stark and at times terrifying. Thailand is not alone in seeing such expressions. By the way, I speak as an individual who in the '80s in Oxford favoured a more free-market and social libertarian point of view and was castigated by some, thankfully without any machetes being used but more than compensated for by those who disagreed but wanted to know and debate why I held my viewpoints. Such late night chats remain my best memory beyond any lectures, and I am glad for them. 

7 hours ago, TEFLKrabi said:

Exactly how do the teachers control their behaviour outside school?

It's been mentioned numerous times over decades, plenty of vocational school teachers encourage these kids to fight and to maim each other for the glory of their school. 

9 minutes ago, scorecard said:

It's been mentioned numerous times over decades, plenty of vocational school teachers encourage these kids to fight and to maim each other for the glory of their school. 

How do you know this ?

Archived