Why has Thai Visa mellowed?

elgenon

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

still happening. On almost every post anyone makes, at some point out will come the haters.    

Calling people "haters" was quite a popular accusation about 10 years ago and its a term not often used much these days , it was a one year fashionable word from about ten years ago 

8 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Calling people "haters" was quite a popular accusation about 10 years ago and its a term not often used much these days , it was a one year fashionable word from about ten years ago 

Along with "racist".....????......

Which did make me smile when being called one, me an English chap married to an Asian taking care of Asian kids....????

4 minutes ago, transam said:

Along with "racist".....????......

Which did make me smile when being called one, me an English chap married to an Asian taking care of Asian kids....????

It's called reverse racism, used as a tactic by non-Caucasians.

it has slowed down a bit but disagreeing with others is not hateful, everyone is entitled to their own opinion whether its right or wrong, calling them haters for it is a bit over the top. There are those that simply bitch about everything thai and those that are honest about what they see even if it does put some thais in a bad light, everyone is aware of the bad points here but there are those that carry them to extremes. I have noticed there are not as many now  that refuse to see anything bad about Thailand or stand up for thais when someone does complain, this in itself stops a lot of the narky comebacks but you are right, a lot of those that were very nasty/vocal no longer seem to post

3 minutes ago, seajae said:

it has slowed down a bit but disagreeing with others is not hateful, everyone is entitled to their own opinion whether its right or wrong, calling them haters for it is a bit over the top. There are those that simply bitch about everything thai and those that are honest about what they see even if it does put some thais in a bad light, everyone is aware of the bad points here but there are those that carry them to extremes. I have noticed there are not as many now  that refuse to see anything bad about Thailand or stand up for thais when someone does complain, this in itself stops a lot of the narky comebacks but you are right, a lot of those that were very nasty/vocal no longer seem to post

Hating and disagreeing are completely different

There are a lot of well thought out, articulate posts, created by people with good minds here. You just have to sift through the reactionary posts, written by guys who did not want to devote 15 seconds to formulating their post. I am often surprised by how well informed and well written some of the replies are. 

2 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

There are a lot of well thought out, articulate posts, created by people with good minds here. You just have to sift through the reactionary posts, written by guys who did not want to devote 15 seconds to formulating their post. I am often surprised by how well informed and well written some of the replies are. 

My ThaiVISA experience became so much better when I learned to use IGNORE.

Posters get to insult me once for free, then they're gone forever.

I've rid myself of around 30 now.

I'm happy for people to disagree with me, but I won't tolerate people insulting me.

1 hour ago, elgenon said:

I remember when Thai Visa forums were heavily occupied by ex-pats spewing hate and diatribe. What happened?

There seem to be regular stories of people joining the "Pattaya flying club" and theres also been a reduction of people spewing hate on these forums .

Is that just a coincidence ? 

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

My ThaiVISA experience became so much better when I learned to use IGNORE.

Posters get to insult me once for free, then they're gone forever.

I've rid myself of around 30 now.

I'm happy for people to disagree with me, but I won't tolerate people insulting me.

I tend to do the same. Often I write a reply or a post with perfectly good intentions, and some of the replies are fairly bizarre. I have thick skin fortunately, as do many men with self esteem. So, water off a ducks back, as far as I am concerned. I cannot and will not take an insult from a stranger personally. It means less than zero to me.

Just now, rumak said:

nowadays if you disagree with a member that constantly post the same "message" , and you challenge what they write (not by insults)..... well, there are one or two that run to mommy and somehow that works to keep me silent for a few days .  All that said,  i do appreciate that there are not so many posts starting with " what an idiotic"  statement .  

As long as an insult is witty it makes my day.

Just a couple of observations...

Not that long ago it seems all anyone seemed to argue about was whether your wife is a bar girl. Now all people seem to argue about is whether you belong here without 800K in the bank or without medical insurance. Kind of makes me nostalgic for the good ole days. :smile:

My sense is that the number of people who are newly retiring in Thailand has slowed down considerably and that's being reflected on the forum. There's always been a tension between newcomers (I was once one, too) who want to see Thailand in a positive and upbeat light and those who have become more cynical over time.

To a certain extent, the recent immigration changes has forged a degree of solidarity between what used to be called "Thai bashers" and "Thai apologists." However you may feel about Thailand, these changes have had to be an eye-opener for many. To my mind, immigration has displayed a glaring lack of empathy towards the established retirement expat community and for many this has triggered a broader re-evaluation of how Thais see expats and what the future may hold. That's generated more of a sense of solidarity than I've seen before in the five years I've been a member.

I also think that maybe five years ago there was a demographic on the forum which I would characterize as 70+, hard drinking, minimal Thai language skills, and harboring bitter resentments towards Thailand about having been taken advantage of financially or emotionally, and who used the forum to vent these frustrations towards Thailand and Thai people. Through a combination of mortality, currency devaluations, and difficulty in meeting stricter immigration regulations, many of those people have moved on and no longer participate on the forum.

Some posts and responses removed.

10) Do not comment on moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. This also includes posting an emoticon in response to a public notice made by a moderator. 

You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email support (at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy.

Archived