Why has Thai Visa mellowed?

elgenon

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

As long as an insult is witty it makes my day.

Funny. When I used to live in New York, I was fond of saying that I did not mind the "attitude" of most New Yorkers, because they had the substance to back up the attitude. Most New Yorkers do. Alot of substance. When I moved to LA, I felt the opposite. There is a tiny percentage of the population of Los Angeles that has any substance at all. On any level. Attitude without substance is very annoying. It is like debris spewn from an empty suit! 

Professional Troll Teams ?   ????  :biggrin:  took a rest.

I noticed that a number of are favorites are conspicuous by their absence. They seem to have cleared out when the Health Insurance requirement was announced.  Perhaps a well deserved vacation.

Well you do what the boss says.   :thumbsup:

10 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

Professional Troll Teams ?   ????  :biggrin:  took a rest.

I noticed that a number of are favorites are conspicuous by their absence. They seem to have cleared out when the Health Insurance requirement was announced.  Perhaps a well deserved vacation.

Well you do what the boss says.   :thumbsup:

I think that we have very similar views on that topic.

Nevertheless..as a previous poster has remarked perhaps there is more of a feeling of solidarity under stress?

I was amazed by the complete lack of social 'glue' between "farangs" up where I lived-the Thai had it all over us.

Maybe mellowed its certainly more controlled than it was in the "good old days" 10/12 years ago, but then again its not surprising as now its a thai owned company.

Also TV seems to assume its the one and only forum and the oracle for expats here

In my circle of expats all here for over 15 years a couple read it very occasionally the others certainly know of it and avoid it like the plague.

For real Thai news and humour I just wish "Not the Nation" would return

1 minute ago, poohy said:

Maybe mellowed its certainly more controlled than it was in the "good old days" 10/12 years ago, but then again its not surprising as now its a thai owned company.

Also TV seems to assume its the one and only forum and the oracle for expats here

In my circle of expats all here for over 15 years a couple read it very occasionally the others certainly know of it and avoid it like the plague.

For real Thai news and humour I just wish "Not the Nation" would return

Do your chums then frequent a forum where a moderator continually slags off farangs that live in Isaan as low-life, perhaps being his own members.....Are your chums hi-so farangs....????

20 minutes ago, transam said:

Do your chums then frequent a forum where a moderator continually slags off farangs that live in Isaan as low-life, perhaps being his own members.....Are your chums hi-so farangs....????

Nah

sorry no hisos, normal working expats, no members of other forums certainly they dont live or venture anywhere near Issan 

Strange eh? 

20 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

Many have left I think or just don't bother. I post far less than I used to and others I know do too. Too easy to upset someone.

I do think that you are just looking for someone to blame as to why you and others dont post much (fear of upsetting others), 

12 minutes ago, poohy said:

Nah

sorry no hisos, normal working expats, no members of other forums certainly they dont live or venture anywhere near Issan 

Strange eh? 

I wonder why....Fear.....?

1 hour ago, Gecko123 said:

Just a couple of observations...

Not that long ago it seems all anyone seemed to argue about was whether your wife is a bar girl. Now all people seem to argue about is whether you belong here without 800K in the bank or without medical insurance. Kind of makes me nostalgic for the good ole days. :smile:

My sense is that the number of people who are newly retiring in Thailand has slowed down considerably and that's being reflected on the forum. There's always been a tension between newcomers (I was once one, too) who want to see Thailand in a positive and upbeat light and those who have become more cynical over time.

To a certain extent, the recent immigration changes has forged a degree of solidarity between what used to be called "Thai bashers" and "Thai apologists." However you may feel about Thailand, these changes have had to be an eye-opener for many. To my mind, immigration has displayed a glaring lack of empathy towards the established retirement expat community and for many this has triggered a broader re-evaluation of how Thais see expats and what the future may hold. That's generated more of a sense of solidarity than I've seen before in the five years I've been a member.

I also think that maybe five years ago there was a demographic on the forum which I would characterize as 70+, hard drinking, minimal Thai language skills, and harboring bitter resentments towards Thailand about having been taken advantage of financially or emotionally, and who used the forum to vent these frustrations towards Thailand and Thai people. Through a combination of mortality, currency devaluations, and difficulty in meeting stricter immigration regulations, many of those people have moved on and no longer participate on the forum.

Excellent post that sums up nicely what are IMO the principal reasons. 

I will also note what seems to be a smaller number as well of positive expats, the rose tinted glasses crowd, if you will. 

There seem to be generally far fewer farangs around which was Thailand's intention, after all, so makes sense. 

1 hour ago, Gecko123 said:

Through a combination of mortality, currency devaluations, and difficulty in meeting stricter immigration regulations, many of those people have moved on and no longer participate on the forum.

Huh!... that's what YOU think.

6 minutes ago, transam said:

I wonder why....Fear.....?

Ha ha maybe, a few have wives  from that neck of the woods probably good enough reason NOT to visit.

Saying that, personally I have only been to Issan (well Korat) about 3 times in 20 years,..... for sure will never venture there now i love the beach too much.

1 minute ago, poohy said:

Ha ha maybe, a few have wives  from that neck of the woods probably good enough reason NOT to visit.

Saying that, personally I have only been to Issan (well Korat) about 3 times in 20 years,..... for sure will never venture there now i love the beach too much.

As a Londoner I liked Clacton, and tried to get to the Ilse of Wight or Cornwall once a year..

But, where a lady comes from in ones bigger picture means sod all....????

17 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

Excellent post that sums up nicely what are IMO the principal reasons. 

I will also note what seems to be a smaller number as well of positive expats, the rose tinted glasses crowd, if you will. 

There seem to be generally far fewer farangs around which was Thailand's intention, after all, so makes sense. 

I keep my rose colored glasses shiny and spotless but can’t be bothered to post as often as I did in years past. There just doesn’t seem to be much point. 

Just now, villagefarang said:

I keep my rose colored glasses shiny and spotless but can’t be bothered to post as often as I did in years past. There just doesn’t seem to be much point. 

What was the "point" in previously posting and what has changed to now make it being pointless ?

3 hours ago, Pilotman said:

still happening. On almost every post anyone makes, at some point out will come the haters.    

The OP obviously hasn't been reading the Trump threads. Plenty of hatred going on there.

I disagree that it's got less hatred, as perusing any thread about paedophiles will show when the armchair sadists come out in force, though I stopped reading them some time ago, so it may have changed on them.

However, there are definitely a lot less interesting threads about bar girls and ladyboys, and, IMO, there's a lot less stuff on the local sub forums of any sort worth reading now, though I will not comment as to why I think that happened. Sorry, but threads about where to find the best pizzas are not going to excite me, though perhaps that's why the forum is "quieter" than it used to be.

Just now, sanemax said:

What was the "point" in previously posting and what has changed to now make it being pointless ?

I guess I used to interact with other Farang more in the past than I do now. I have made an effort to weed out the more negative aspects of life and focus on the positive. Basically that means less time online and less Farang interaction. 

2 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

Just a couple of observations...

Not that long ago it seems all anyone seemed to argue about was whether your wife is a bar girl. Now all people seem to argue about is whether you belong here without 800K in the bank or without medical insurance. Kind of makes me nostalgic for the good ole days. :smile:

My sense is that the number of people who are newly retiring in Thailand has slowed down considerably and that's being reflected on the forum. There's always been a tension between newcomers (I was once one, too) who want to see Thailand in a positive and upbeat light and those who have become more cynical over time.

To a certain extent, the recent immigration changes has forged a degree of solidarity between what used to be called "Thai bashers" and "Thai apologists." However you may feel about Thailand, these changes have had to be an eye-opener for many. To my mind, immigration has displayed a glaring lack of empathy towards the established retirement expat community and for many this has triggered a broader re-evaluation of how Thais see expats and what the future may hold. That's generated more of a sense of solidarity than I've seen before in the five years I've been a member.

I also think that maybe five years ago there was a demographic on the forum which I would characterize as 70+, hard drinking, minimal Thai language skills, and harboring bitter resentments towards Thailand about having been taken advantage of financially or emotionally, and who used the forum to vent these frustrations towards Thailand and Thai people. Through a combination of mortality, currency devaluations, and difficulty in meeting stricter immigration regulations, many of those people have moved on and no longer participate on the forum.

LOL. I'm sure you are aware that one does not have to be in LOS to be able to post on here.

If I hated Thailand, just being out of the country would not hinder me in commenting frequently, but I don't, so I won't.

However, if the visa changes have woken some posters up to the fact that most of us are or were just visiting, even if it was a very long visit, and Thai officialdom does not give a rat's bottom as to whether we stay(ed) or not that can only be a good thing.

As one that hated going to immigration, I'm sure they just think up ways to make it more difficult for us to stay, none of which would be published before turning up to do an extension, and which were not a national requirement, just a local invention.

What government cares about expats so much it forces them to have to turn up at 4 am just to get an appointment to be able to stay and spend money in their country?

17 minutes ago, villagefarang said:

Properly because you are not liked with your comments.The haves and have nots come to mind .

Archived