Why has Thai Visa mellowed?

elgenon

why-has-thai-visa-mellowed

IMO it hasn't. It's just got boring, though I keep on in the hope of an occasional decent thread to get stuck into. The occasional climate change thread does liven up the discussion.

The most interesting threads now tend to be in the divorce sub forum, though interesting ones are not frequent.

Sadly, I think the good old days of threads about interesting stuff, like bar girls/ boys and ladyboys are gone forever.

Farewell TVF that we used to love, you are missed.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think after you've been on quite awhile a lot of it become blasé.....

If someone else has posted a thought/answer that sums the way I do there's no real reason to add on, just for the sake of using words....

Most of the really sideways negative one's seemingly have somehow self purged.....Some were just internally ugly & maybe the mods showed them the door.....

Most of the "at risk" performers from years past have wandered away leaving a more "settled in" crowd....

I tend to check posts/topics less than I did before - as well as contibute.....

There's still many solid posters, but it seems a lot mellower....

Sometimes the riff raff was entertaining......

There's still a few rascals about.....

4 hours ago, elgenon said:

I remember when Thai Visa forums were heavily occupied by ex-pats spewing hate and diatribe. What happened?

I like the new TV but how did it evolve?

Everywhere nowadays, cant speak about what someone said or do even if its totally wrong, idiotic or simply below any considered normality and moral 30 years ago...freedom to speak out is gone ..CCTV cameras and Facebook sh..trowing is in......????

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Sadly, I think the good old days of threads about interesting stuff, like bar girls/ boys and ladyboys are gone forever.

Farewell TVF that we used to love, you are missed.

I do disagree , I did find it tedious and rather uncouth to participate in threads with sexually frustrated older men talking about prostitution and transsexuals and the pedo sympathizers were always there  making suspicions comments about *just turned 18 * year old girls  

2 minutes ago, Felt 35 said:

Everywhere nowadays, cant speak about what someone said or do even if its totally wrong, idiotic or simply below any considered normality and moral 30 years ago...freedom to speak out is gone ..CCTV cameras and Facebook sh..trowing is in......????

I hope TVF hasn't got a CCTV camera at my place.....Well at least not on Tuesday's.....????????

37 minutes ago, villagefarang said:

Have a look at your profile page and mine. You are clearly confused. ????

Maybe I am but not when it comes to you .I am glad you will move to the other side of town

35 minutes ago, Felt 35 said:

Ah, the era of PC, the rebel in me rises up.

Just now, BritManToo said:

My ThaiVISA experience became so much better when I learned to use IGNORE.

Posters get to insult me once for free, then they're gone forever.

I've rid myself of around 30 now.

I'm happy for people to disagree with me, but I won't tolerate people insulting me.

I think you have it right, although I have some catching up to do, only 2 posters here on ignore.

I am exactly the same as you in your last line comment.

Slightly off topic I guess but am a member on a few investment/stock trading boards.

On the 2nd largest UK based one I did manage to get my ignore list up to 46.

Only ever for insults, never for difference of opinion.

I had some fairly vicious/hateful attacks yet I always post clearly and politely ( OK maybe  a rare exception or two but in those cases if I feel I have been harsh, I apologise.)

Unfortunately they made a platform change recently and it is now no longer possible to place a poster on ignore.

Something I notice here is if someone states they have decided to leave Thailand , for whatever reason, they do seem to come under attack.

A shame as I think it is interesting to hear of alternatives.

6 minutes ago, seasia said:

I think you have it right, although I have some catching up to do, only 2 posters here on ignore.

I am exactly the same as you in your last line comment.

Slightly off topic I guess but am a member on a few investment/stock trading boards.

On the 2nd largest UK based one I did manage to get my ignore list up to 46.

Only ever for insults, never for difference of opinion.

I had some fairly vicious/hateful attacks yet I always post clearly and politely ( OK maybe  a rare exception or two but in those cases if I feel I have been harsh, I apologise.)

Unfortunately they made a platform change recently and it is now no longer possible to place a poster on ignore.

Something I notice here is if someone states they have decided to leave Thailand , for whatever reason, they do seem to come under attack.

A shame as I think it is interesting to hear of alternatives.

Your last para....Folk who leave LOS usually come up with  load of rollox as to how us remain-ers are missing out, or it's cheaper where they are, all that blah...

4 minutes ago, transam said:

Your last para....Folk who leave LOS usually come up with  load of rollox as to how us remain-ers are missing out, or it's cheaper where they are, all that blah...

If they're in Cambodia, Vietnam or the Philippines, I'm prepared to believe them.

If they're in Australia, the UK or USA, I'm suspicious of their honesty (or maybe their sanity).

If they're in Laos, no need to question their sanity.

43 minutes ago, faraday said:

Kevin, if you could translate your post, that will be absolutely smashing.

Thanks in anticipation.

not far from his home now , in all honesty asking such a high price is very hard to sell here in Chiang Rai , I know as we were thinking of selling ours and moving too.

I kind of learnt to appreciate that when one is quite laid back regarding the mix of danger and downright disregard to life approach of the majority of Thai people, best to let them get on with it.

Same approach appears to have seeped into my thinking regarding those who must blame Thailand for their misery, or to somehow feel superior. I am not here to 'fix' Thailand

Life is good, for me, for now........

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

My ThaiVISA experience became so much better when I learned to use IGNORE.

Posters get to insult me once for free, then they're gone forever.

I've rid myself of around 30 now.

I'm happy for people to disagree with me, but I won't tolerate people insulting me.

I don't use IGNORE. I usually take an insult as coming from someone who has lost or is losing the argument, and is playing the man instead of the ball.

I do enjoy an ingeniously constructed insult, even if I am the target.

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

If they're in Cambodia, Vietnam or the Philippines, I'm prepared to believe them.

If they're in Australia, the UK or USA, I'm suspicious of their honesty (or maybe their sanity).

If they're in Laos, no need to question their sanity.

Malaysia is better, too.

But God knows why anyone would choose Laos. 

6 hours ago, seajae said:

it has slowed down a bit but disagreeing with others is not hateful, everyone is entitled to their own opinion whether its right or wrong, calling them haters for it is a bit over the top. There are those that simply bitch about everything thai and those that are honest about what they see even if it does put some thais in a bad light, everyone is aware of the bad points here but there are those that carry them to extremes. I have noticed there are not as many now  that refuse to see anything bad about Thailand or stand up for thais when someone does complain, this in itself stops a lot of the narky comebacks but you are right, a lot of those that were very nasty/vocal no longer seem to post

Good post, now if we could just get rid off these members of the "if you don't like it, go home" brigade.

5 hours ago, soalbundy said:

As long as an insult is witty it makes my day.

IMHO the best insult ever was by a young dandy who offended a peer of the realm in the Victorian era. Putting on his best steamroller manner, the peer exclaimed " Young jackanapes, you will undoubtedly die of the pox or on the gallows". The dandy responded " That presumably depends on whether I embrace your lordship's mistress or your lordship's principles".

Second place goes to Winston Churchill in an encounter with Bessie Braddock. "Winston, you're drunk!".      "Madam, you're ugly. But I'll be sober in the morning".

5 hours ago, metempsychotic said:

I suspect we are reading different sites. TV bitterness still has a keen edge. 

Yes, if only certain members would stop going on about the fat, ugly, tattooed, facial haired guys.????

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

I don't use IGNORE. I usually take an insult as coming from someone who has lost or is losing the argument, and is playing the man instead of the ball.

I've noticed ???? 

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I'm surprised you notice.

I suppose that's the benefit of a classical education

Archived