Jump to content

Flynn detailed attempts to obstruct Russia probe - U.S. court filing


webfact

Recommended Posts

Flynn detailed attempts to obstruct Russia probe - U.S. court filing

By Nathan Layne

 

2019-05-16T222931Z_1_LYNXNPEF4F1TH_RTROPTP_4_USA-TRUMP-RUSSIA-FLYNN.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Former national security adviser Michael Flynn exits a vehicle as he arrives for his sentencing hearing at U.S. District Court in Washington, U.S., December 18, 2018. REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst

 

(Reuters) - Former U.S. national security adviser Michael Flynn gave Special Counsel Robert Mueller information about attempts by people tied to the Trump administration and Congress to obstruct the Russia investigation, court documents released on Thursday showed.

 

The documents revealed for the first time sections that had originally been blacked out before last month's release of Mueller's report on his probe into Russia's meddling in the 2016 election. The new disclosures were made at prosecutors' request.

 

Flynn "informed the government of multiple instances, both before and after his guilty plea, where either he or his attorneys received communications from persons connected to the Administration or Congress that could have affected both his willingness to cooperate and the completeness of that cooperation," Mueller wrote in a memo originally submitted ahead of Flynn's planned sentencing on Dec. 18, 2018.

 

"The defendant even provided a voicemail recording of one such communication. In some instances, the SCO was unaware of the outreach until being alerted to it by the defendant," he wrote, using the acronym for the Special Counsel's Office.

 

U.S. District Judge Emmet Sullivan, who is overseeing Flynn's case, further ordered the government to disclose transcripts of the voicemail recording and of Flynn's conversations with Russian officials by May 31, and an unredacted version of the sections of Mueller's report relating to Flynn.

 

Flynn pleaded guilty to lying to FBI agents about his December 2016 conversations with Sergei Kislyak, then Russia’s ambassador in Washington, about U.S. sanctions imposed on Moscow by the administration of Trump’s Democratic predecessor Barack Obama. The conversations took place between Trump's November election victory and his inauguration in January 2017.

 

Flynn had been scheduled to be sentenced on Dec. 18 but the judge fiercely criticized the retired U.S. Army lieutenant general for his actions and delayed his sentencing until after he had finished helping prosecutors with other probes.

 

Mueller has asked for the judge not to sentence Flynn to prison given his substantial cooperation.

 

Flynn is still cooperating with prosecutors in the Eastern District of Virginia against his former business partner, Bijan Rafiekian, who was indicted on allegations of unregistered lobbying on behalf of Turkey. Rafiekian has pleaded not guilty and will take his case to a trial scheduled to begin in July.

 

Mueller completed his investigation in March. While he did not find that there was a conspiracy between Moscow and the Trump campaign to influence the 2016 election, his report describes multiple actions Trump took to try to impede the investigation. The report stopped short of declaring Trump had committed a crime.

 

(Reporting by Nathan Layne in New York; Editing by James Dalgleish and Paul Tait)

 

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-05-17
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, webfact said:

Former U.S. national security adviser Michael Flynn gave Special Counsel Robert Mueller information about attempts by people tied to the Trump administration and Congress to obstruct the Russia investigation,

 

So maybe Mueller's team was, after all, hunting for a coven of witches that Trump had surrounded himself with.  Or, maybe it was more of a warlock hunt?  🙂  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Still beating this dead 4 legged quadruped? While most people have moved on to the delicious new and most important phase of the Russia collusion hoax ie the hunters becoming the hunted. I expect Mueller, Comey, those that paid for the fantasy Steele report which was known to be nonsense by the FBI, and the rest of the swamp beasts to be behind bars for spying on Trump and launching an illegal investigation/soft coup attempt in the not too distant future. A much more exciting development than still harping on about the collusion that wasn't.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Barr is in a bit of fix now.

 

He has been ordered by Judge Sullivan to release all redacted portions of the Mueller report that relate to Flynn.

 

Apart from seeing what was redacted we will also get to see if the reason Barr gave for those redactions is legitimate.

 

Those who attempted to obstruct, justice are about to be exposed, one of whom is reportedly a member of Congress.

 

Orifice twitching time is upon them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TopDeadSenter said:

A much more exciting development than still harping on about the collusion that wasn't.

 

Actually, if you had actually read the Mueller report itself instead of just Fox News reports, you would know and understand that there was PLENTY of collusion between Russian interests and Trump-related folks leading up to the presidential election.

 

Unfortunately, Mueller's take was that the main criminal offense possible to deal with such collusion was criminal conspiracy, and proving that requires being able to prove that the conspiring parties knew what they were doing was illegal conspiracy--something Mueller and Co. didn't think they could prove as regards Don Jr. and various others.

 

Likewise with Trump himself, the report calls out plenty of instances where Trump tried to obstruct the special counsel investigation into Russian collusion during the campaign, including trying to get the special counsel removed. But in part because some around Trump didn't follow thru on his orders and in part because of the high bar set for charging a sitting president, Mueller wasn't willing to go there.

 

None of that excuses or exonerates what Trump and those around him did.  Trump's lucky he managed to steal the presidency and the legal protections that comes with it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, webfact said:

The documents revealed for the first time sections that had originally been blacked out before last month's release of Mueller's report on his probe into Russia's meddling in the 2016 election.

 

I'm sure Barr had a good reason to redact this information.

 

Because it looks bad?

 

 

Honestly, they would have been much better off just releasing the entire report, unredacted, along with ALL of the underlying documentation, from the get-go. Like Ken Starr did.

 

 

 

This slow bleed will be 10x more painful.

 

Flynn's congressional testimony, along with Mueller's will be entertaining.

 

Actually, maybe this is a good thing? Stretch it out, and trump is subject to a thousand cuts.

 

 

D2SyOhBXgAUXG_F.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

Flynn was set up by Sally Yates. Gonna be real interesting as the truth comes out. These Deep State characters are already turning on each other. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:

Still beating this dead 4 legged quadruped? While most people have moved on to the delicious new and most important phase of the Russia collusion hoax ie the hunters becoming the hunted. I expect Mueller, Comey, those that paid for the fantasy Steele report which was known to be nonsense by the FBI, and the rest of the swamp beasts to be behind bars for spying on Trump and launching an illegal investigation/soft coup attempt in the not too distant future. A much more exciting development than still harping on about the collusion that wasn't.

"Collusion Delusion" seems to be a rampant disease among the left swamp creatures and all those who  believe all the fake conspiracy theories. My advice to all the conspiracy theorists, stop watching CNN, MSNBC and Al Jazeera etc. These news channels will just fill your brain with poison, falsehoods and pure nonsense. The economic statistics while Trump has been in office tell the real story.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, bungcheese said:

"Collusion Delusion" seems to be a rampant disease among the left swamp creatures and all those who  believe all the fake conspiracy theories. My advice to all the conspiracy theorists, stop watching CNN, MSNBC and Al Jazeera etc. These news channels will just fill your brain with poison, falsehoods and pure nonsense. The economic statistics while Trump has been in office tell the real story.

Says a conspiracy theorist.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Boon Mee said:

Flynn was set up by Sally Yates.

 

On a date?

 

Seriously?

 

You do realize that Flynn is a cooperating witness?

 

22 minutes ago, Boon Mee said:

Gonna be real interesting as the truth comes out.

Well, it's slowly being un-redacted so you should be happy.

 

23 minutes ago, Boon Mee said:

These Deep State characters are already turning on each other.

Flynn, McGahn, Gates, Cohen...pretty much the entire WH staff seem to be ratting each other out.

 

Be careful what you wish for. An investigation into the origins of the Mueller probe will likely be less flattering than you are probably led to believe by Fox and Friends?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, bungcheese said:

"Collusion Delusion" seems to be a rampant disease among the left swamp creatures and all those who  believe all the fake conspiracy theories. My advice to all the conspiracy theorists, stop watching CNN, MSNBC and Al Jazeera etc. These news channels will just fill your brain with poison, falsehoods and pure nonsense. The economic statistics while Trump has been in office tell the real story.

Watch FOX instead?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought that many Asian Countries were corrupt but obviously the USA beats them all. A 2 year investigation by Mueller didn't reveal any collusion only that Trump is a habitual liar. But the Mueller investigation was based on a flawed document that may have involved Obama! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, webfact said:

"The defendant even provided a voicemail recording of one such communication.

Just incredible arrogance, like President Nixon secretly taping criminal plans.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...