Spilt Hot Chocolate on my laptop keyboard

Pilotman

Cleaned it off quickly, but the keyboard now doesn't work. is it recoverable and does anyone have any advice on how I may recover it?   The laptop itself is working fine with a remote keyboard connected.  

If it is a reasonably new keyboard, it is likely to be a separate unit that plugs into the motherboard of the laptop. It should be easily replaceable but may not be servicable.

If you are handy with pulling apart laptops, you could take out the keyboard unit and soak / submerge it in a mild dishwashing detergent. Then thoroughly rinse it in clean water. Leave it out in the sun for the day to make sure all water has evaporated and it should work again.

Might be easier to buy a replacement keyboard on Ebay or locally and have a local pc guy replace it.

25 minutes ago, Farangwithaplan said:

If it is a reasonably new keyboard, it is likely to be a separate unit that plugs into the motherboard of the laptop. It should be easily replaceable but may not be servicable.

If you are handy with pulling apart laptops, you could take out the keyboard unit and soak / submerge it in a mild dishwashing detergent. Then thoroughly rinse it in clean water. Leave it out in the sun for the day to make sure all water has evaporated and it should work again.

Might be easier to buy a replacement keyboard on Ebay or locally and have a local pc guy replace it.

Just to add if cleaning, make sure the ribbon connection to the MB is clean and completely dry before reattaching. Get the cotton buds out!

Assuming the keyboard is an individual module. It probably wouldn't hurt to leave the laptop out in the sun beside the cleaned keyboard. Just make sure it doesn't start to rain when they are out though, rumours are that the rainy season isn't far away...............:thumbsup:

33 minutes ago, WorriedNoodle said:

Many replacement keyboards can be bought cheap online. Youtube how to replace it or take it to a shop - last resort.

Prices in Thailand from about 300 to 700 Baht depending on model.

Only possible downside: if you buy here you will in most cases only have the choice of an English/Thai keyboard and not English-only (if that is what you have).

First look up your model of laptop and determine how difficult it would be to swap out a new keyboard.  Then head to you local IT mall and see if it's available.  If you don't want to DIY you may be able to find someone there to do it, should take about 20 minutes.  Stay there and watch.

Happened to me a few years back with a Toshiba laptop, think it cost around 600b for the keyboard.

On 5/17/2019 at 3:44 AM, Pilotman said:

Cleaned it off quickly, but the keyboard now doesn't work. is it recoverable and does anyone have any advice on how I may recover it?

I've had a similar mishap not chocolate though ( I'm on harder drugs 555), anyway, I sprayed CRC Contact Cleaner on the keybord, actually soaked it with the stuff, let it dry for a couple of minutes and it was working . Worth a try.

Depends very much on the laptop involved, the modern lower range types have very simple modules that will allow liquid straight past and into more sensitive areas. Check for more extensive damage and/or ingress.

They can also be a PITA to replace due to not having screws or clips but melted mounting stubs instead i.e. the maker did not want you to replace it (prefer you replace entire laptop).

I spilled coffee on mine and the keyboard never works. Took it to the  crap scam computer geeks in Tukcom. They changed to keyboard. It started to work but also started doing all sorts of queer things. They ended up saying I need new computer board, I ended up throwing it away and got a good 2nd. If you are going back to your home country give it a try there.

On 5/17/2019 at 12:28 PM, Farangwithaplan said:

Leave it out in the sun for the day to make sure all water has evaporated and it should work again.

No, don't leave it in the sun, leave it is the shade with good air circulation (wind or fan). The sun is strong and will warp plastic.

I knocked hot tea onto my keyboard. Quickly flipped it over and turned it off to let the tea drain out. I had gone through this before years ago and tried to dry the other one out with no luck, so this time after it seemed to drain the tea out, I took it into a shop at Fortune Mall near Rama 9 MRT. Shop has been recommended on TV called Pro Corner. They cleaned it and called me within an hour to pick it up. The owner said eventually the keys would start to go and recommended I order a keyboard from eBay as it would be less expensive than having him order it from a another shop. Soon after I started losing a few keys-they stopped working. So order I did and brought the keyboard and laptop back so he could install the new keyboard. No problem now and it's been a year already.

Sorry to hear about your mishap.

I have an older Lenovo T430 laptop, and it actually has a spill-proof keyboard that was tested recently when I accidentally dumped a full pint of beer on it. The keyboard was completely drenched, so I grabbed a bunch of paper towel and started cleaning it. I didn't even think about trying to power it off -- just get it dry, but my trusty Lenovo kept going without missing a beat. I finished drying it and carried on with what I was doing. That was several weeks ago, and it has been fine since. 

6 minutes ago, Inn Between said:

Sorry to hear about your mishap.

I have an older Lenovo T430 laptop, and it actually has a spill-proof keyboard that was tested recently when I accidentally dumped a full pint of beer on it. The keyboard was completely drenched, so I grabbed a bunch of paper towel and started cleaning it. I didn't even think about trying to power it off -- just get it dry, but my trusty Lenovo kept going without missing a beat. I finished drying it and carried on with what I was doing. That was several weeks ago, and it has been fine since. 

Shame about the spilt beer though ????

buy a new one, they are dirt cheap in Tesco. Don't bother to repair, you won't be able to, I have had two ruined, once when hot coffee ws spilt over it and once when my son and his friend hammered the sh1t out out of it playing games.

23 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

Leave it out in the sun for the day to make sure all water has evaporated and it should work again.

No, don't leave it in the sun, leave it is the shade with good air circulation (wind or fan). The sun is strong and will warp plastic.

Thank you. I've once forgotten my voltmeter in my car and after only two hours, it was melted. 

Of course, do you get much higher temperatures behind a windshield, but I'd never leave it in the sun. 

Archived