Thai Airways’ profits dive 83% year-on-year

webfact

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Greetings all.

There incompetent idiots.

Cancelled a flight recently and was told to send an email to the UK office.

They then send the details to the head office in Bangkok, who when they can be bothered, process a refund via their bank.

Process can take up to 6 weeks but if your a lucky boy under 4.

On the same day, cancelled the first leg of my journey with British Airways online.

They gave me an exact amount, dear knows what Thai will end up giving me, pressed the cancel button and BA refunded me next working day.

Staff in London don't seem to give a fiddlers either.

Hope they go bust. Clowns.

"British airways profits tumble 62% in the 1st 3 months of this year" Daily Mail 11th May. "Easy Jet swings into a 270 million pound loss" Daily Mail today. "Jet Airways  ground all flights". They didnt have enough money to buy fuel. Any opinions on why that may be? Calling all experts,,,,,,,,,,

Dear old BA. Planes flying from London to Bangkok are meant to be 25 years old and feel it. 

However, they had a wonderful sale recently, sweetened even more by a flash extra £100 off.

Result £450 return flight from Northern Ireland to Bangkok via Heathrow at end of year.

Never seen a price close to this before.

Download the Skyscanner app and do a search for Dublin to Bangkok.

The connections/offers/hubs available is quite staggering.

I remember BA and British Midland charging £200 NI to London 30 years ago.

Inflation? What inflation.

9 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

Hmmm... I'm not so sure the younger generation would be equipped. They are products of the same, largely unchanged, broken education and cultural system. 

I employed plenty of them. The best and brightest the country has to offer. They are not up to the task. 

They need OUTSIDE help. 

Yes they do. And the junta's vaunted Thailand 4.0 has that need for foreign expertise clearly defined and stated as an integral part of the plan.

However, blindly following the 'lead' set by the Education Department, nobody at the Labour Department has considered the full implications of "you get what you pay for" in this grand plan.

Thai International is great, but the problem is they are usually more expensive to fly then their competitors are which means I end up flying with someone else.  They also don't fly to the cities that I need to go to in the USA so I again end up going with other airlines.  Even when I do fly to a US city served by Thai their competitors are cheaper and the service is as good or better.

I had my last fly by Thai air from LA to Bangkok 10 years ago. I stoped flying with Thai air since I had a bad experience with Thai air security guard at the gate in LA. The guard looked and act like a typical BKK Tuk Tuk driver ???? then I told myself that is enough, no more Thai air. ????

11 minutes ago, The Theory said:

I had my last fly by Thai air from LA to Bangkok 10 years ago. I stoped flying with Thai air since I had a bad experience with Thai air security guard at the gate in LA. The guard looked and act like a typical BKK Tuk Tuk driver ???? then I told myself that is enough, no more Thai air. ????

A 10 year old experience on a flight that no longer exists.

Thanks for playing.

PS. I thought the local ruffians we were forced to use for LAX's farcical checked bag security screening were the worst. Once onboard that virtually empty A340-500, all the stress evaporated.

3 hours ago, potless said:

"British airways profits tumble 62% in the 1st 3 months of this year" Daily Mail 11th May. "Easy Jet swings into a 270 million pound loss" Daily Mail today. "Jet Airways  ground all flights". They didnt have enough money to buy fuel. Any opinions on why that may be? Calling all experts,,,,,,,,,,

Crap management.

I've been flying  Thai Inter. over 40 years now, it has really gone downhill in the last few years, for example, little things like no salt and pepper with meals to having to Bus out to the plane in Brisbane and arriving in B.K. and having to do bus into the terminal. I wrote and complained and actually got a reply, however they pushed the blame onto everybody else except themselves.......I'm finished with them..!

6 hours ago, potless said:

I ve used Skyscanner amongst others. Not a bad place to start. Some agents have better deals than others at different times. You just need to be lucky as my previous posts on this thread suggest.

What other sites do you use?

Need to organize routes best suited for aircraft.

A380 Hong Kong to BKK top deck closed and lower

deck 1/2 full.

I asked to have a look around upstairs nice A/C.

Better planning would help reduce expenses

Not surprising really.  There are many factors which contribute to their poor performance, particularly their lack of customer service.  If you make suggestions on improvements you are ignored so no wonder travelers go to other airlines.

Some flights you can't reserve your seat or check-in online then they keep you on the tarmac for an hour without any air conditioning. Their business class seats and service are appalling. Planes are old, etc, etc.

Whenever I need to look for a flight on Skyscanner, I usually also check the price that THAI charges for the same flight - and Thai's price is almost all the time $100 - $ 150 HIGHER than any other comparable Airline. So, of course I chose the cheaper option, even though I like flying Thai....

i'm not a financial expert, but as far as i know the singaporean dollar is stronger than the thai baht, yet singaporean airlines have no dive in profits.

That’s not really a valid comparison. SQ, by it’s geography, has no wholly domestic network. For most carriers, domestic flying is a lower margin operation and has limited pricing power opportunities because there commonly is multiple domestic competitors and some may be in the LCC or ULCC format - but in most countries, the full-service carriers must operate lower yielding domestic system as that is how they create and funnel volume from smaller line or “spoke” stations, into their respective hubs to “feed” their higher margin international sectors that operate only from hubs.
I think the other thing that helps SQ, which TG does not have, is the fact that there is only one SIN-based LCC or ULCC carriers - and that one operates only on a regional basis.... yes several more LCC/ULCCs do operate to/from SIN, but as I recall only one is truly SIN-based... and that gives SQ an advantage in terms of route planning and scheduling as commonly flying a carrier that isn’t SIN-based from SIN, and going to a city other than where that carrier is home-based, means you’ll have to connect via their hub- whereas flying SQ would commonly be a non-stop... and in the pricing of airlines, non-stops traditionally have higher levels of pricing power over a connection routing... also, cargo customers tend to favor booking non-stops as opposed to a connection.

None of this IMHO means TG isn’t or hasn’t mismanaged their operations and doesn’t has some level of self-blame for the results, but does say that some of their issues are, again, in my opinion, issues that are either wholly outside of their control, systematic or structural in nature and therefore less controllable by TG.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

23 hours ago, shady86 said:

Always put the blame on external factors. Typical Thainess, never look at ownself and self improvement.

Yes !  The cause cannot possibly be the Thai management because the big boss is ex Royal Thai Airforce and knows how to fly.   Things will get worse unless they engage an experienced airline manager from overseas and stop giving such jobs to ex Thai military with no business training whatsoever.

23 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I was waiting for years for them to have sales to travel to Australia, so in all those years of travel to Australia in the interim, they have lost out as other carriers like Jetstar have fares at less than halve the price Thai airways have been offering, and those are direct flights from Phuket to Sydney, although I did fly with AirAsia to Sydney once via Malaysia, the change was a bit boring but hey, i.e. 3 hour layover, but the fare was still half the price.

The above said, Thai Airways fly bigger planes with more room, food and alcohol free, as is entertainment, but hey, iPads/tablets these days sort that out, as do ready made meals to take on board, and if you need a drink, you pay a little extra or go without.

All of the above said, I would fly Thai Airways to Sydney for $800AUS return, but not over $1,000 when I can get there direct for $580AUS from Phuket all inclusive, just have to take some food/snacks on board, it all adds up when you have a big family of 6, so if Thai Airways wants to stay in the game, it has to drop it's pants, i.e. it's called competition, or better abng for your buck !

I always used to fly Thai, but not anymore, they are too expensive. I now fly direct to Brisbane from Koh Samui with Silk Air/Singapore Air cheaper and more convenient than flying to BKK with Bandit Airways to  connect with Thai Air.

Archived