Thai Airways’ profits dive 83% year-on-year

webfact

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Netflights is another UK based search option.

All the carriers from Dublin such as Emirates, Turkish Airlines, Qatar, Swiss etc

will take it in turns to be cheaper depending on time of year, time of week etc.

Always book direct with airline and try to get a connecting flight with the same airline.

The wife and  are flying to Thailand on Xmas day from Brisbane.

It cost us a little over $300.oo each for a 'PE' ticket Bangkok to Khon Kaen.

Air Asia, DIRECT from Brisbane to -Bangkok is $877.oo

Thai Air is $1318.oo

Thai Airs prices don't really affect us personally because each year on the way back to Oz we like to stopover in a different city to see something new. This year we're flying EVA and and stopping in Taipei.

That still doesn't change the fact that Thai are not really competitive

10 minutes ago, Creasy said:

The wife and  are flying to Thailand on Xmas day from Brisbane.

It cost us a little over $300.oo each for a 'PE' ticket Bangkok to Khon Kaen.

Air Asia, DIRECT from Brisbane to -Bangkok is $877.oo

Thai Air is $1318.oo

Thai Airs prices don't really affect us personally because each year on the way back to Oz we like to stopover in a different city to see something new. This year we're flying EVA and and stopping in Taipei.

That still doesn't change the fact that Thai are not really competitive

Does the air aisa flight have the same inclusions as the Thai flight or do you have to pay for luggage/meals/entertainment/seat selection etc etc on top ?

21 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Does the air aisa flight have the same inclusions as the Thai flight or do you have to pay for luggage/meals/entertainment/seat selection etc etc on top ?

Just checked.

An extra $66 will get you food, 20kg baggage and seat selection.

Business class is roughly $1600.oo

10 minutes ago, Creasy said:

Just checked.

An extra $66 will get you food, 20kg baggage and seat selection.

Business class is roughly $1600.oo

Good deal then, shame AA flies into DMK though.

3 hours ago, Don Mega said:

Good deal then, shame AA flies into DMK though.

One of the only reasons I sometimes avoid AA. The hordes of PRC at Don Mueng snorting, yelling, queue jumping, shoving and flag waving are enough to put almost anyone off. 

One of the most useful things to understand about Thailand 

I realize in most Western cultures we are accustomed to hearing “complaints” or suggestions in how to improve or what is wrong. Many Thais look at us “farangs” as hotheads when we get angry... but at least they hear the truth. Meanwhile in Thai cultures it is frowned upon to make suggestions or to complain. “Saving Face” is a big factor of them never improving; for, you never know what is wrong with your business or customer service. And it is a “sin” to say anything to your senior boss or manager. -So I do not expect this country to make great strides in improving itself.

1 hour ago, toenail said:

I realize in most Western cultures we are accustomed to hearing “complaints” or suggestions in how to improve or what is wrong. Many Thais look at us “farangs” as hotheads when we get angry... but at least they hear the truth. Meanwhile in Thai cultures it is frowned upon to make suggestions or to complain. “Saving Face” is a big factor of them never improving; for, you never know what is wrong with your business or customer service. And it is a “sin” to say anything to your senior boss or manager. -So I do not expect this country to make great strides in improving itself. 

Those Thais that are intelligent and can think outside the box find themselves suppressed by archaic customs. Truth is a stranger. My Thai gf has a tendency to do the exact opposite of any sensible advice I give her. Maybe I should say "under no circumstances should you jump off the balcony"

While the numbers in the article seem to be confusing, it is possible to carry more passengers and have a lower load factor (just fly more seats than in the year before).   The loss vs the previous year can be a combination of a different mix of passengers (fewer high-yield business and first) and increased costs (yes, rerouting planes due to the closure of Pakistani airspace will be costly - just look at the profitability of Qatar after the can't use Saudi and UAE space)

But overall, Thai is simply not as good as Qatar/ Emirates and their fares are just not competitive against the low-cost carriers.  People would be willing to pay a little more to fly non-stop on a regular airline, but the difference is just too high... and nothing justifies the premium over ME and European carriers.  It will be interesting to see thoughy what happens when the low-cost options run into financial trouble (just reported today that Norwegian and Ryan Air are not doing too well).  Not sure how the low-cost airlines are capitalized and funded in Asia, but they may also not make money either a their fares

22 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

So I have read many times Thai have restricted the checked 

baggage to 20 kg I have booked a flight from Perth to Bangkok

for June and it says I can take 30 kg but on the way back I can

only 20 kg? so I have to leave 10 kg in Thailand ? what a nonsense

The cheapest fare category with T.A. is called "saver" and has a weight allowance of 20kg. The next category is "flexi saver" with an allowance of 30kg. I assume you have a mix of the two. When you get a few spare minutes, have a look on their website and you will see what I mean. Put in a destination and a date, then when the page comes up with the fares, click CONTINUE and the individual fares will come up with allowances. I paid 1000 baht extra for 30kg category one way. Coming back its 2500 baht extra. Its random as I have stated in previous posts on this thread.

Archived