Sell motorbike / requries non-immigrant visa?

cerox

Hello guys,

planning to sell a motorbike in the future. I read it is required to present a residence certificate like when I bought it. AFAIK I only get this when I am on a non-immigrant visa in the country, e.g. an ED visa.

I am asking this because I would like to keep my motorbike as long as possible and I also plan my visa. I want to avoid (For example) being the last 30 days in the country visa-exempt and not being able to sell the motorbike.

Your help is appreciated ????

In Phuket you only need certificate of resident to buy, not to sell, but in both cases they want to see if your visa still valid,  if visa expired by a few days, maybe okay, in my case they accepted it, maybe if seller visa expired long time ago, maybe not.

Also if seller not present, need to sign and give power of attorney document to buyer.

Is this another  case of different rules and regs for different provinces ,I sold a motorbike all in my name, with the registration book ,wife's granddaughters boyfriend brought it ,all I gave him was a photocopy of my passport ,no visa involved ,about 10 days later he comes back with 3-4 forms for me to sign ,all to do with the transfer to the new owners name. job done, again no one asked for my visa, never went to our local licencing centre. 

It's different from province to province. I had a signed copy of the former owner's ID card and all went well at the Land Transport office.

I had to take my license plate off, all in a sudden a 25-year-old bugger decided that I'd need a signed after printed copy.

That was a bit difficult because the lady has been living in the States for a long time.

Make sure that all documents are signed, you'll get the needed ones at your Transport department. 

Thank you for all your replies guys.

That is why I asked the question, because it still does not seem to be clear how to sell a motorbike, even though it has been discussed to many times.

When the time comes, I will do it on my last non-imm visa to be on the safe side.

Hi

In Chiang Mai I bought my bike with a tourist visa and got a cert' of residence from immigration.

To sell you need a visa of some sort, but I didn't need a cert' of residence.

This crazy rule means a lot of foreigners just leave the bikes in their name and they never get re registered, which seems to be accepted To make things easier I transferred it to a Thai friend before I left in case I couldn't return and needed him to sell it.

Thank you. I think the safest way is to get a new / last round 1y ED visa and sell it in that period in CM.

I am a little bit confused about this thread:

Need to talk to my school first; I am now abroad and was actually planning to do another ED visa later this year.

Archived