Non Immigrant O-A visa from LA consulate

The website for the LA consulate leaves much to be desired.  I only see information about an O-A visa under a heading that states "Maximum stay 90 days, extension of stay may be applied in Thailand".  The details page for that type of visa mentions nothing about period of stay permitted or how long the visa is valid.  The website of the Thai Embassy in Washington, DC describes the O-A visa to be as expected with a maximum stay and validity of 1 year for the same $200 price.

There are also several broken links on that website for the LA consulate and the staff seem spectacularly uninterested in helping via e-mail.

Has anyone received an O-A visa from the LA consulate?

I probably will just use the DC embassy for my visa since I will be applying by mail anyway.  I would prefer to use LA to get faster turnaround time.

PS This link to access Thai customs information in English coughs up an error.  (http://en.customs.go.th/content.php&ini_content=customs_offences&lang=en&left_menu=menu_customs_offences)

Anyone have a link that works?

Edited by gamb00ler

Yes... that's the detail page that makes no mention of visa period of vailidity or period of stay.  On an earlier page that visa is listed under that heading I described in OP.

A OA long stay visa allows unlimited one year entries for a year from the date it is issued. It does matter where you apply for it will be the same.

Good link for the customs site. http://www.customs.go.th/cont_strc_simple.php?ini_content=individual_F01_160426_01&ini_menu=menu_individual_submenu_02&lang=en&left_menu=menu_individual_submenu_02_160421_01

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

A OA long stay visa allows unlimited one year entries for a year from the date it is issued. It does matter where you apply for it will be the same.

Good link for the customs site. http://www.customs.go.th/cont_strc_simple.php?ini_content=individual_F01_160426_01&ini_menu=menu_individual_submenu_02&lang=en&left_menu=menu_individual_submenu_02_160421_01

Based on your knowledge and experience I will weight your answer higher than any answers from the LA consulate (if I ever do get a response e-mail). ????

Thanks for that customs link.  The link on LA consulate page and the Wiki page both were out of date.

I eventually used Google advanced search of the customs.go.th domain and found that working link.

Los Angeles is commonly known as one of the less Friendly Thai consulates to deal with. I dealt with and got great results with the Denver consulate but I thought I read somewhere now you have to apply at the one in your area. I was in California at the time.

Just now, hereforgood said:

Los Angeles is commonly known as one of the less Friendly Thai consulates to deal with. I dealt with and got great results with the Denver consulate but I thought I read somewhere now you have to apply at the one in your area. I was in California at the time.

The consulate in Denver is a honorary consulate. They cannot issue a OA visa, multiple entry tourist visas or multiple entry non immigrant visas.

Only the the official consulates in New York, Chicago and Los Angeles can offer the same services as the embassy in Washington DC.

The consulate in Denver is a honorary consulate. They cannot issue a OA visa, multiple entry tourist visas or multiple entry non immigrant visas.
Only the the official consulates in New York, Chicago and Los Angeles can offer the same services as the embassy in Washington DC.
Here is a photo of the non-immigrant multiple-entry Visa they issued me clearly you can see it's from the Denver consulate or honorary consulate whichever maybe the rules have changed and now they cannot issue them?20190518_100223.jpg

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, hereforgood said:

Here is a photo of the non-immigrant multiple-entry Visa they issued me clearly you can see it's from the Denver consulate or honorary consulate whichever maybe the rules have changed and now they cannot issue them?

That was way back in 2005.

For about 3 years now they are no longer allowed to issue multiple entry non immigrant visas.

• Thanks 1

Look at the DC Embassy for more information.  However, the LA consulate has more stringent paperwork requirements than the Embassy, for some unknown reason.  So, get the visa information from DC and the paperwork information from the Consulate.

Also, there is the new insurance requirement coming soon so you may want to hurry your application.

Have never had a problem with LA Consulate.  Thai guy working the Visa window can seem a bit "Official" but always a treat when Bernard is working the window.  Knows me on sight and asks how the family is and such.

Edited by DrPhibes
Typo

Got my OA in early 2017.  Unless it has changed all the information was on the website.  Dropped my packet off on Wednesday morning and picked up my passport with the new OA on Thursday morning.  I might attempt a redo in early 2020 or get an Elite Visa.  

I finally got an e-mail response from the LA Consulate confirming that they do issue the O-A visa I'm interested in.  Their website provided an email link for visa information.  That link sent the message to Bernard.  He responded saying that he is no longer in the visa section of the consulate.  However, I had also sent the request using the e-mail link for general consulate information.

I'm aware of the possibility that Thailand may add the requirement for health insurance.  I will apply in early June and hopefully avoid that issue.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Dinobot said:

What is the health insurance requirement and when did it or does it go into effect?

That is unknown at this time since it has not been given final approval yet after being proposed.

• Like 1