Are you eating 3 square meals a day whilst living in Thailand? If so what?

davidst01

I'm finding that Im hungry all the time. If we go out to dinner I get home and still hungry lying in bed. 

Personally, I cant eat anything with fortified vitamins in it. Thus cant eat breakfast cereal or commercial breads. I usually eat porridge oats and eggs for breakfast. Good bread is hard to find in my area. 

Lunch today was 'pad see you' (noodles with pork). Hungry again at 4pm and boiled some pasta... added pesto sause on top. 

Dinner. If cooking at home I might cook a steak or pork, roast vege or steam. 

What are you cooking at home? Please give an idea about what sort of food you are eating. I think I need more ideas about what to eat admitting in advance that my cooking skills are below average

thanks

i try to cook foods the ingredients are readily available. throwing a fish or chicken in a pan with some vegies, olive oil and garlic is my go to. whatever we have, onions, mushrooms, carrots, their long string beans. maybe a sauce like an oyster sauce or soy sauce can go in. maybe some pepper. eat over rice. 

could also throw potatoes in the above mix and forego the rice. can also spice it up with thai chilies of course. 

on another note, current knowledge seems to be swaying more to WHEN you eat than what. there is some amazing facts developing with this, i would not write this stuff off: 

rice, rice, rice and more rice. noodles then rice.

No,seriously, my wife makes cheese and peanut butter sandwiches which i take to work for brekkie which i eat with jok from the street seller inc. poached egg. lots of fruit before lunch. generally buy a rice dish with chicken for lunch. the girls inn my office eat all manner of spicy salads throughout the day so i sort of get force fed mouthfulls of that. 

missis or my son cook dinner and its brown rice and something sorta healthy. in the week theres a steamed fish in lime, a curry, a pork steak with mash if Im lucky and various thai concoctions.

im skinny so i need calories. i supplement with chocolate and biscuits. Breakfast is bigger than dinner as i need energy througout the day rather than at night. 

im not entirely sure why i spent the last 5 minutes relaying that to you but hey, its Friday and im about to hit the beer.:)

I always thought breakfast, lunch, & dinner were 3 different meals before moving here....Now it's whatever order they make it for that day.....Always have (as do my wife & daughters) sourdough toast in the morning, followed by ? ......

We will have breakfast cereal (shredded wheat with brown sugar), sometimes.....

My wife teaches/taught our girls

to cook & is very cautious about fried foods and avoids the typical Thai fry stuff....She's heavy on the veggies.....

When in the states it's usually more Thai style then American style....It's funny to watch the other campers (RV) sniffing the aroma from the Thai food & identify/locate it....A far cry from what they're used to....

48 minutes ago, davidst01 said:

I'm finding that Im hungry all the time

Well, that's an Asian trope if ever I heard one. A fry up in the morning, a pie and a glass of milk at lunchtime, bangers and mash with gravy for dinner (followed by apple crumble with thick custard); a glass of wine (or whiskey, or ovaltine) and cheese for supper. That should solve your problem. In reality, I tend to buy stuff at the local market, and add it in to bought dishes - I'm going through a peppers phase at the moment - white, black, green, yellow, red. Apart from that I add an egg and garlic to every dish. Occasionally, I'll buy some potatoes, csrrots, brocolli or cauliflower, a meat pie, and indulge myself.

10 minutes ago, nausea said:

Well, that's an Asian trope if ever I heard one. A fry up in the morning, a pie and a glass of milk at lunchtime, bangers and mash with gravy for dinner (followed by apple crumble with thick custard); a glass of wine (or whiskey, or ovaltine) and cheese for supper. That should solve your problem. In reality, I tend to buy stuff at the local market, and add it in to bought dishes - I'm going through a peppers phase at the moment - white, black, green, yellow, red. Apart from that I add an egg and garlic to every dish. Occasionally, I'll buy some potatoes, csrrots, brocolli or cauliflower, a meat pie, and indulge myself.

And your weight is ???????

7 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

And your weight is ???????

187bs, 5'10", age 64, I'm working on it. Actually, the stuff I quoted is what I used to do in the UK c. 25 years of age, never felt hungry though. 

1 hour ago, davidst01 said:

What are you cooking at home?

Breakie at 11 am Toast and butter and marmite & coffee.

Aft, 3 beers with mango and BBQ biscuits.

Eve can of cold low sugar bake beans spooned out the can.

Wife gone holiday with family. ???? 

Actually, doing some intermittant fasting & the results have been good.....

Now the wife is too after watching me (which is saying something with regard to the typical Thai "grazing" technique).

Generally, bread and coffee breakfast...rice and a couple of dishes with pork, chicken, or shrimp to cover rice with fresh veggies and fresh fruit for dessert for lunch...may have rice with topping from lunch with an egg on top...or noodles...always bottled water for lunch and dinner...ice creme treat most afternoon between meals...never eat again after the evening meal...

• 3 weeks later...

Being hungry is normal when you're used to constantly eating. Just like any addiction, you have to ignore the side-affects in order to overcome them. That means being hungry for a while and not caving to it. Intermittent fasting is great, because it trains your body to eat when you're ready, and not just when it's sending out signals to eat. Most people who try to eat 3 or more times a day end up overeating, but someone who eats one big meal per day and fasts for the rest of the day will be much healthier overall.

Breakfasts --

Alternative between watered down yogurt type bowls with grains, nuts, and fruits and egg and avocado based plates.

Typical main meals to cook at home --

Soups (noodles, spices, chicken, vegetables, mung beans, Asian spices)

Tuna salad 

Pastas with chicken, vegetables and either tomato sauce or home made pesto (including smoked salmon)

Stir fries with rice noodles chicken, tofu, and vegetables in a spice blend including XO sauce

Yes I eat a lot of chicken. To prepare I take boneless skinless chicken breasts and poach for 20 minutes. The water can be used as soup stock. The meat can be used hot or cold for about four days.

3 meals a day?

More or less.

Often if my second meal (usually out) is very filling just have a snack as a third meal such as peanut butter on bread with soy milk or even just fruit. 

39 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Breakfasts --

Alternative between watered down yogurt type bowls with grains, nuts, and fruits and egg and avocado based plates.

Typical main meals to cook at home --

Soups (noodles, spices, chicken, vegetables, mung beans, Asian spices)

Tuna salad 

Pastas with chicken, vegetables and either tomato sauce or home made pesto (including smoked salmon)

Stir fries with rice noodles chicken, tofu, and vegetables in a spice blend including XO sauce

Yes I eat a lot of chicken. To prepare I take boneless skinless chicken breasts and poach for 20 minutes. The water can be used as soup stock. The meat can be used hot or cold for about four days.

3 meals a day?

More or less.

Often if my second meal (usually out) is very filling just have a snack as a third meal such as peanut butter on bread with soy milk or even just fruit. 

you give me some good ideas... thanks

On 5/17/2019 at 5:29 PM, davidst01 said:

What are you cooking at home? Please give an idea about what sort of food you are eating.

This is an easy meal,

Roast pork steak (80bht for 2 Tesco, in the oven on 225 for 20 mins), baked potato (microwave for 6 mins), fried bell peppers, and onion gravy (45bht Tesco)

Bread, I make myself in a bread machine (16bht for a 750gm white loaf) every two or three days.

Yogurt (easy to make at home) with mango and honey is a decent snack.

pork steak.jpg

bread.jpg

yogurt3.jpg

On 5/17/2019 at 5:29 PM, davidst01 said:

I'm finding that Im hungry all the time. If we go out to dinner I get home and still hungry lying in bed. 

Personally, I cant eat anything with fortified vitamins in it. Thus cant eat breakfast cereal or commercial breads. I usually eat porridge oats and eggs for breakfast. Good bread is hard to find in my area. 

Lunch today was 'pad see you' (noodles with pork). Hungry again at 4pm and boiled some pasta... added pesto sause on top. 

Dinner. If cooking at home I might cook a steak or pork, roast vege or steam. 

What are you cooking at home? Please give an idea about what sort of food you are eating. I think I need more ideas about what to eat admitting in advance that my cooking skills are below average

thanks

I've been intermittent fasting for the past 3 month.   I eat once a day, so I go 23 hours with just water and then have a meal, usually around 17:30.   I eat mostly protein and fats as I have cut out as many carbs as I can.   By doing that I've lost 14 kgs, got my weight down to under 70 kgs and feel far healthier than I have for a few years.  I just turned 52 and I'm in the same physical shape as when I was 30, plus I can wear the same sized clothes as I did when I was 30.   

Your mind and body is just programmed to be hungry, with a bit of willpower it is easy to reprogram yourself and after a while you'll find that you can go a very long time without food.  Just make sure you are drinking water, keeping your electrolytes up and that when you do eat something it is nutritious.  

I eat what I like and I like what I eat. Not interested in special diets but that's because I don't have a weight problem.

However....tend to have bigger meals in the morning and less as the day goes on. Don't eat anything within 3-4 hours of bedtime.

Don't go out for evening meals anymore because neither of us are hungry after 7 pm

You don't need 'three square meals a day.  Look around you at most farang expats.  Notice anything?  Most of either over-weight or obese.  Farangs tend to eat too much and coming to Thailand doesn't seem to change that trend.

I only eat Thai food.

I eat every 3 hours or so, but not after 7 p.m.

Why do so many people try and eat European food that is both expensive, difficult to obtain and unsuited to the climate?

If I lived in Isaan I would eat Isaan food; I live in the South so I eat mostly Southern food.

You can't assimilate easily into a culture like Thailand, where food is second only to religion, unless you share their food and way of eating.

My wife makes fantastic food you won't find at a local restaurant.

My favorite ones:

Cordon Bleu, either with chicken, or pork, ham, a lot of cheese. And some / a lot of garlic.

Schnitzel Vienna Style, easy to prepare ( bread crumbs are available at Big C, etc..)

Fried fish, shrimp and other seafood. All come with a nice salad and fried potatoes, or potato salad. Very seldom with French Fries. 

Here're two examples, a Schnitzel with potato salad and squid and shrimp with potato salad.

Schnitzel with potato salad.jpg

Squid shrimp and potatao salad.jpg

46 minutes ago, PaoloR said:

I only eat Thai food.

I eat every 3 hours or so, but not after 7 p.m.

Why do so many people try and eat European food that is both expensive, difficult to obtain and unsuited to the climate?

If I lived in Isaan I would eat Isaan food; I live in the South so I eat mostly Southern food.

You can't assimilate easily into a culture like Thailand, where food is second only to religion, unless you share their food and way of eating.

Try and eat European food? What's the problem, you can find all ingredients for an affordable price at the market, Big-C and other places. 

If you don't know how to make such food, Google it and you'll find plenty of recipes online.

I like to eat Thai food, but really appreciate some different food from time to time. I can't just eat rice every day, or noodle soup.

And I never buy hot food that comes in a plastic bag.

I've been based here for over thirty years, yet to cook my first thing, the great thing about Thailand, especially round Pattaya, is you don't have to cook and I don't have to eat my rubbish cooking!

Most of the time i'm half pissed so I don't eat much at all.

Breakfast I might have a cup of coffee but then a bottle of beer at 9.00am .....

usually just keep drinking until i'm pissed and want sleep at 7.30pm .....next day repeat againvery-drunk.gif.d46dc7a9fdbf5531063d9f97ef7ad2a9.gif

29 minutes ago, topt said:

Any particular reason why not?

Boiling hot food in a plastic bag could cause a chemical reaction, and you might eat some stuff you don't want to know more about...

When hot food is packed in plastic, a chemical exchange between plastic and food is maximized by high temperature and the nature of the food. Certain plastic bags may cause chemical filtration into the food.

There's enough information on some websites. Also that it can cause cancer. 

17 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Most of the time i'm half pissed so I don't eat much at all.

Breakfast I might have a cup of coffee but then a bottle of beer at 9.00am .....

usually just keep drinking until i'm pissed and want sleep at 7.30pm .....next day repeat againvery-drunk.gif.d46dc7a9fdbf5531063d9f97ef7ad2a9.gif

You seem to have a very interesting life. A healthy breakfast is mandatory for me and keeps me going. Then lunch and dinner at home, often also at a restaurant.

I stopped drinking beer that much after getting used to working on a hungover many years ago. That's not what I want, life's too short to not enjoy it.

I usually don't drink at home and only have a beer, or two when I meet up with friends. I just don't want to pay money to feel bad the next day, that's all.

And to fight that bad feeling, you open another bottle. I saw my own father in a Delirium Tremens and that healed me. He passed when he's only 50 years old. 

Archived