Are you eating 3 square meals a day whilst living in Thailand? If so what?

davidst01

Today: Glass of tomato juice and 3 boiled eggs for brekky. 2 big mugs of tea.

Lunch is 2 banana cupcakes with a coffee. 

Afternoon grazing on a banana, a dozen grapes and an apple.

Tea. Poached chicken breast, asparagus and mashed carrots.

Supper. Bag of Lays and some chocolate. 

Through the evening I will drink another 4 big mugs of tea and a glass of water with my chicken.

23 hours ago, BritManToo said:

This is an easy meal,

Roast pork steak (80bht for 2 Tesco, in the oven on 225 for 20 mins), baked potato (microwave for 6 mins), fried bell peppers, and onion gravy (45bht Tesco)

Bread, I make myself in a bread machine (16bht for a 750gm white loaf) every two or three days.

Yogurt (easy to make at home) with mango and honey is a decent snack.

pork steak.jpg

bread.jpg

yogurt3.jpg

geeze .. that looks good .... I haven't had a hot meal like that for years. good one !

28 minutes ago, champers said:

Through the evening I will drink another 4 big mugs of tea and a glass of water with my chicken.

Do you eat with your chicken? Not too many of them drink tea, methinks. 

Cereal or Omlette

really enjoy the long crusty sour dough loaf and fill it with salad and cheese, egg or chicken.

always keep a supply of peanut butter.

pork chops sprinkled with chilli ???? and soy sauce with noodles.

i enjoy a su day carvery.

But most of all, I want to be invited to eat at Britmantoo’s house. The meals look delicious and the bread ????. Bread machine- great idea.

2 hours ago, PaoloR said:

I only eat Thai food.

I eat every 3 hours or so, but not after 7 p.m.

Why do so many people try and eat European food that is both expensive, difficult to obtain and unsuited to the climate?

If I lived in Isaan I would eat Isaan food; I live in the South so I eat mostly Southern food.

You can't assimilate easily into a culture like Thailand, where food is second only to religion, unless you share their food and way of eating.

If I need to eat Isaan "food" to assimilate - it aint going to happen - have you eaten Isaan food in Isaan, the quality leaves a lot to be desired as does the taste!

I used to eat a lot of Thai food when I lived in Bangkok & Pattaya, now living in Isaan I eat very little.

Mostly we eat at home, not that many decent restaurants up here, though there are lots of cheap ones :wink:

I like to eat twice a day within an eight hour window, great believer in eating for your genetic/blood type, which for me means a lot of protein, nowhere near enough protein in most Thai dishes.

We cook in bulk and usually have in the freezer.

Roast Beef

Beef stew

Chicken stew

Fresh bean soup with ham

Tuna & Prawn cakes

Meat Balls

Spaghetti sauce

Chilli con carne

Meat pies

Fish pie

Curried prawns

& lots of beer in the fridge.

1 hour ago, Isaanbiker said:

Try and eat European food? What's the problem, you can find all ingredients for an affordable price at the market, Big-C and other places. 

If you don't know how to make such food, Google it and you'll find plenty of recipes online.

I like to eat Thai food, but really appreciate some different food from time to time. I can't just eat rice every day, or noodle soup.

And I never buy hot food that comes in a plastic bag.

I'd imagine He's worried about the estrogen in the plastic. 

how old are you ?

over 40 = you only need 2 meals a day

if you fill up with carbs all the time = hungry

add more healthy OILS to your meals

learn to fast... start with skipping a meal ... in a few weeks, try skipping 2 and see how you feel...

On 5/17/2019 at 12:29 PM, davidst01 said:

What are you cooking at home? Please give an idea about what sort of food you are eating. I think I need more ideas about what to eat admitting in advance that my cooking skills are below average

thanks

Unfortunately we eat too much in my house, as both my lovely girlfriend, our daughter and myself cook excellent meals – I'm not a great cook, but "distress teaches every woman to spin" – and I'm actually not a eating that much here in Thailand. I was eating more in my home country, but that might be to gain some fat to survive during a long and cold winter...????

Where I live both BigC and Tesco makes nice bread at affordable prices – I also have the choice of dedicated bakeries, but the super stores are more convenient, as I'm already shopping there – so bread in the freezer, and when use it, it goes a few minutes in a hot air oven, and then its delicious. Not all bread sorts can however be used for that, but one learn to pick the right ones, so I always have gourmet bread – a the smell of same – in the house. Some times my daughter also bakes bread.

I'm a cheese lover – even that much, that a dinner for example could be cheese, bread and red wine, eventually also with some French-style ham – but I eat a variety of other dishes. By the way, I read in a newer scientific study that cheese eaters lives longer, so I plan on getting full tax-value of my life-long government retirement pension...????

My girlfriend mainly cook the Thai dishes, that's her specialty, but as I'm not into too spicy food – I like to taste the food, not taste chili whatever I eat – she often make two version, one with food taste for me, and one with nothing but else but chili taste for our daughter and herself. I have many favorite Thai dishes like beef in oyster sauce, pork with fried onions and garlic, massaman curry with chicken, laap mo with fresh raw vegetables, pork in sweet'n'sour; but by girlfriend also cook traditional Danish-style crispy pork ("flæskesteg", I taught her, and its a hit among her Thai friends) with boiled potatoes and brown sauce; and a variety of Italian pasta dishes, and lasagne, are further gourmet specialties from the girls, and with oven baked garlic bread as side dish. Furthermore potato-salat that could be served with a big BBQ-steak as side dish, or just a plain Angus-beef burger...????

I don't eat much rice, as it makes one feel stuffed, and hungry again a few hours later; however, a fresh harvested Jasmin-rice do taste delicious, just like we potato-farangs (farang = white potato) loves fresh new small potatoes...????

I like to cook Western-style food, very easy, as that food is quite simple without too much stuff mixed together. Some are dishes from my home country, some are inspired from travelling. I introduced the use of double-cream to make sauce – I'm Danish, so in the eyes of a Thai, my country is mainly inhabited by cows producing oceans of fat milk and whipping cream for cookies...???? – and the girls adapted it, as it makes the sauce taste so much better (in Thai dishes it however need to be coconut milk).

Easy to make is for example the popular Danish bowl dishes, which could be both yellow curry, or red paprika – from light taste to spicy, depending of one's taste – one of our common favorites is pork sirloin cut in fairly large pieces (chicken filet can also be used), bit cuts of onions and pepper fruits, freight in butter (of course), and seasoned (curry or paprika with a bit of oregano or parsley), adding (lots of) double cream (or cooking cream), finished when the creamy sauce gets fat after a few minutes. Served with mashed potatoes, or farm cut fried potatoes; alternative rice can be used. The dish can be supplemented with either crispy bacon, or small cocktail susages, or both. Takes about 15-20 minutes to make.

A Russian variant could be beef stroganoff, where beef meat is used instead of pork. Fry the beef, add a bit of water and let if boil at low power for quite some time, so the meat gets tender – Thai beef can be used, if boiled long enough time – add cut onions and/or pepper fruit, bit of paprika and tomato sauce, and lots of double cream.

French style hashish is also easy to make from chopped meat – can be beef or BBQ-spiced pork – freight in butter, add a bit of water, and taste with salt and pepper, and a tiny bit of tomato sauce or tomato/chili sauce. Served on a plate with mashed potatoes on top. Quick and easy to make. A crispy french-style flûte bread or baguette is a nice supplement.

Swedish pytt-i-panna is nice to get rid of left overs of various meat, cooked or fresh, sliced into small pieces and freight in butter together cut onion and small pieces of potatoes. A freight egg on top and HP sauce is a must for some.

Steamed salmon – so easy, just steam or boil in a bit of water – served with potatoes of a kind, or rice, and double cream sauce, especially white wine sauce would be perfect here. Just pour some double cream in a pot, warm it and add white wine, eventually a bit of salt. Fresh dill, or other fresh herb, on top. Remember coarse pepper when served. The dish can also be a starter, but probably then not too big slices, and served without potatoes and like, but just a piece of bread.

Easy kind-of chili con carne – might be difficult to find real beans – which the girl also like. Its one of the little more spicy variants. I use minced (chopped) pork meat freight in butter, or palm oil, with BBQ-spice and lots of ground chili together with a vegetable mix. I use the deep frozen mix-pack of garden peas, carrots, and corn from the supermarkets, easy to get, and taste is all right. When freight add tomato sauce or chili-tomato sauce. Remember to taste during the cooking, so its not get too spicy – or taste of nothing – serve in a bowl, and bread as side dish.

Butter can be replaced with palm oil (palm oil is best for hot food, don't consider olive oil for that), and crispy bread, like baguette or wholemeal bread, is always a nice supplement.

Just a few examples of my favorite dishes, perhaps they can inspire you...????

PS: I never eat more than two meals a day, often chicken as breakfast/brunch, and enjoy a nice dinner.

4 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

My wife makes fantastic food you won't find at a local restaurant.

My favorite ones:

Cordon Bleu, either with chicken, or pork, ham, a lot of cheese. And some / a lot of garlic.

Schnitzel Vienna Style, easy to prepare ( bread crumbs are available at Big C, etc..)

Fried fish, shrimp and other seafood. All come with a nice salad and fried potatoes, or potato salad. Very seldom with French Fries. 

Here're two examples, a Schnitzel with potato salad and squid and shrimp with potato salad.

Schnitzel with potato salad.jpg

Squid shrimp and potatao salad.jpg

how is your cholesterol ?

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

Unfortunately we eat too much in my house, as both my lovely girlfriend, our daughter and myself cook excellent meals – I'm not a great cook, but "distress teaches every woman to spin" – and I'm actually not a eating that much here in Thailand. I was eating more in my home country, but that might be to gain some fat to survive during a long and cold winter...????

Where I live both BigC and Tesco makes nice bread at affordable prices – I also have the choice of dedicated bakeries, but the super stores are more convenient, as I'm already shopping there – so bread in the freezer, and when use it, it goes a few minutes in a hot air oven, and then its delicious. Not all bread sorts can however be used for that, but one learn to pick the right ones, so I always have gourmet bread – a the smell of same – in the house. Some times my daughter also bakes bread.

I'm a cheese lover – even that much, that a dinner for example could be cheese, bread and red wine, eventually also with some French-style ham – but I eat a variety of other dishes. By the way, I read in a newer scientific study that cheese eaters lives longer, so I plan on getting full tax-value of my life-long government retirement pension...????

My girlfriend mainly cook the Thai dishes, that's her specialty, but as I'm not into too spicy food – I like to taste the food, not taste chili whatever I eat – she often make two version, one with food taste for me, and one with nothing but else but chili taste for our daughter and herself. I have many favorite Thai dishes like beef in oyster sauce, pork with fried onions and garlic, massaman curry with chicken, laap mo with fresh raw vegetables, pork in sweet'n'sour; but by girlfriend also cook traditional Danish-style crispy pork ("flæskesteg", I taught her, and its a hit among her Thai friends) with boiled potatoes and brown sauce; and a variety of Italian pasta dishes, and lasagne, are further gourmet specialties from the girls, and with oven baked garlic bread as side dish. Furthermore potato-salat that could be served with a big BBQ-steak as side dish, or just a plain Angus-beef burger...????

I don't eat much rice, as it makes one feel stuffed, and hungry again a few hours later; however, a fresh harvested Jasmin-rice do taste delicious, just like we potato-farangs (farang = white potato) loves fresh new small potatoes...????

I like to cook Western-style food, very easy, as that food is quite simple without too much stuff mixed together. Some are dishes from my home country, some are inspired from travelling. I introduced the use of double-cream to make sauce – I'm Danish, so in the eyes of a Thai, my country is mainly inhabited by cows producing oceans of fat milk and whipping cream for cookies...???? – and the girls adapted it, as it makes the sauce taste so much better (in Thai dishes it however need to be coconut milk).

Easy to make is for example the popular Danish bowl dishes, which could be both yellow curry, or red paprika – from light taste to spicy, depending of one's taste – one of our common favorites is pork sirloin cut in fairly large pieces (chicken filet can also be used), bit cuts of onions and pepper fruits, freight in butter (of course), and seasoned (curry or paprika with a bit of oregano or parsley), adding (lots of) double cream (or cooking cream), finished when the creamy sauce gets fat after a few minutes. Served with mashed potatoes, or farm cut fried potatoes; alternative rice can be used. The dish can be supplemented with either crispy bacon, or small cocktail susages, or both. Takes about 15-20 minutes to make.

A Russian variant could be beef stroganoff, where beef meat is used instead of pork. Fry the beef, add a bit of water and let if boil at low power for quite some time, so the meat gets tender – Thai beef can be used, if boiled long enough time – add cut onions and/or pepper fruit, bit of paprika and tomato sauce, and lots of double cream.

French style hashish is also easy to make from chopped meat – can be beef or BBQ-spiced pork – freight in butter, add a bit of water, and taste with salt and pepper, and a tiny bit of tomato sauce or tomato/chili sauce. Served on a plate with mashed potatoes on top. Quick and easy to make. A crispy french-style flûte bread or baguette is a nice supplement.

Swedish pytt-i-panna is nice to get rid of left overs of various meat, cooked or fresh, sliced into small pieces and freight in butter together cut onion and small pieces of potatoes. A freight egg on top and HP sauce is a must for some.

Steamed salmon – so easy, just steam or boil in a bit of water – served with potatoes of a kind, or rice, and double cream sauce, especially white wine sauce would be perfect here. Just pour some double cream in a pot, warm it and add white wine, eventually a bit of salt. Fresh dill, or other fresh herb, on top. Remember coarse pepper when served. The dish can also be a starter, but probably then not too big slices, and served without potatoes and like, but just a piece of bread.

Easy kind-of chili con carne – might be difficult to find real beans – which the girl also like. Its one of the little more spicy variants. I use minced (chopped) pork meat freight in butter, or palm oil, with BBQ-spice and lots of ground chili together with a vegetable mix. I use the deep frozen mix-pack of garden peas, carrots, and corn from the supermarkets, easy to get, and taste is all right. When freight add tomato sauce or chili-tomato sauce. Remember to taste during the cooking, so its not get too spicy – or taste of nothing – serve in a bowl, and bread as side dish.

Butter can be replaced with palm oil (palm oil is best for hot food, don't consider olive oil for that), and crispy bread, like baguette or wholemeal bread, is always a nice supplement.

Just a few examples of my favorite dishes, perhaps they can inspire you...????

PS: I never eat more than two meals a day, often chicken as breakfast/brunch, and enjoy a nice dinner.

Lazada carries cheap pinto and Lotus navy beans.  

5 hours ago, steven100 said:

Most of the time i'm half pissed so I don't eat much at all.

Breakfast I might have a cup of coffee but then a bottle of beer at 9.00am .....

usually just keep drinking until i'm pissed and want sleep at 7.30pm .....next day repeat againvery-drunk.gif.d46dc7a9fdbf5531063d9f97ef7ad2a9.gif

I did not believe you before, and I still do not believe you, Why? Because you are still alive.????

4 hours ago, champers said:

and these 6 big mugs of tea you drink every day, how much sugar do you put

in each mug?

I believe your talking 3 healthy meals.Fruits and vegetables etc.I don’t do that 

when I’m at my home country.I don’t eat Asian food,not even rice.In thailand 

it’s not that easy for me to eat healthy.

4 hours ago, possum1931 said:

and these 6 big mugs of tea you drink every day, how much sugar do you put

in each mug?

No sugar or sweeteners in my tea. I have just polished off a snickers bar; that's my sugar hit.

Hi,

Most of the days when i'm in Thailand i notice i eat only 2 meals a day. Eat breakfast between 9 and 10 and dinner around 19-20.

Just sometimes i get a hungry feeling in between. Then i eat some fruit or snack what my wife Always have in her bag .

But i think it is because i drink so much and all day when i am in Thailand. I easely drink around 3 liter water, juices, coffee, soda, etc a day.

Btw what area you stay in Thailand? I noticed it isn't that hard anymore to find a good bakkery in all Thailand these days.

14 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I did not believe you before, and I still do not believe you, Why? Because you are still alive.????

it's true ... this was yesterday ... because i was chatting with a friend and i took a photo to send him last night ...

but to be honest, I'm not feeling so good lately so I may be on the way out ...

IMG_20190512_184810.thumb.jpg.2976f16ae9a29170a16b2ecd8495190f.jpg

1 minute ago, steven100 said:

it's true ... this was yesterday ... because i was chatting with a friend and i took a photo to send him last night ...

I hope not, I do enjoy most of your posts.

21 hours ago, Tony45 said:

Constant hunger can be a sign of diabetes. Check your blood sugar.

Alas, after 10+ years spending most of my time in SE Asia I returned to the US to find I had type 2.  I can't put my finger on precisely why this happened to me, there are a lot of factors.  I have a dietary advisor (courtesy of Medicare) and have learned a lot from the sessions, eg I never really knew what a carbohydrate was. 

If interested look up something called the vagus nerve, it has to do with a certain, er, "freeway" that the body uses to digest carbs: noodles, rice, wheat products, potato, which turn into sugar the moment you ingest it.

Yes, I had that "hungry all the time thing" in Thailand and Malaysia, and eating double portions of pad thai, etc made me feel disgustingly bloated which felt just as uncomfortable.

But now, looking back, I think my two main factors was a carb-heavy diet and poor sleep -- I haven't been a sound sleeper most of my adult life.  As for exercise, I did a lot of walking in SEA and S. America, never owned a vehicle.  When I lived in Chumphon I estimate I walked 4-5 miles per day.

And for you folks of a certain age (like me) who may have had relatives with diabetes when you were a kid, it's all different now: in the mid 1990s there were some discoveries made that has re-defined the understanding and treatment of diabetes.

On 6/7/2019 at 11:14 PM, Jingthing said:

(including smoked salmon)

Ah, the advantage of being in a farang-heavy area like Bkk and Pattaya was Norwegian smoked salmon.  With cream cheese and good-quality french bread...

On 5/17/2019 at 9:25 PM, nausea said:

Well, that's an Asian trope if ever I heard one. A fry up in the morning, a pie and a glass of milk at lunchtime, bangers and mash with gravy for dinner (followed by apple crumble with thick custard); a glass of wine (or whiskey, or ovaltine) and cheese for supper. That should solve your problem. In reality, I tend to buy stuff at the local market, and add it in to bought dishes - I'm going through a peppers phase at the moment - white, black, green, yellow, red. Apart from that I add an egg and garlic to every dish. Occasionally, I'll buy some potatoes, csrrots, brocolli or cauliflower, a meat pie, and indulge myself.

That diet sounds like a recipe for getting, heart disease and a bunch of other things, ... how to get fat.

... are you one of those folks I wonder that eats their feelings?

Some folks eat because of feelings not because they are actually physically hungry although their head will tell them they are actually hungry. English styled food is not good for a healthy lean energised body.

Take a look at folks in England and the obesity rates are way higher than Asian countries, heart disease, liver, kidney, colon, bowel cancers way higher etc, and plenty of other diseases.

Eat fresh fruit, lots of lightly cooked vegetables, fish a few times a week at least, a little red meat if this is something you really like, organic free range chooks and pork, eggs, a little cultured yoghurt at least 4 times a week.

Do you exercise?

If your 40 plus and you don't exercise then get of your arse and begin to work out at least every second day, if you don't work out and raise the heart rate above 120+ this many times a week then take a good ten years of your life expectancy as a rule of thumb.

no dairy ever.  no sugar. nothing that has sugar in it. no red meat. no soda, no alcohol. (i do one glass of red wine once a week on Saturdays because girlfriend #1 likes it.) a single beer during special occasions or holidays.

Breakfast:

8 ounces water

salmon steak

kale, or bok choy or spinach.

1/2 sliced tomato.

three eggs

coffee

Lunch:

1/2 roasted chicken or chicken soup with vegetables. 

1/2 sliced tomato. kale, or bok choy or spinach.

8 ounces water

or

Green smoothie.

kale, or bok choy or spinach.

banana, blueberries, cucumber. 

chia seeds, flax seeds

unsweetened almond milk

dinner:

1/2 roasted chicken

or sliced pork. sames sides as lunch.

once a month i pig out and have something like spaghetti at a Italian restaurant.  

but eating out i order salads, salmon, chicken.  

gourmet market has a great salad bar at Terminal 21 and at Bluport HH. I can pick and choose very healthy items.

22 hours ago, steven100 said:

Leo? :bah:  I thought you said beer.

I'm probably the word's worst/laziest cook... but now I have a son, so I have to do better... I get a cooked breakfast at 7.30am and dinner at 5pm with a lighter lunch somewhere in the middle.

For basic meals I pick up 1kg mince pork, and 1kg chicken. The pork goes in with herbs, onions and tomato puree to make up enough pasta sauce to fill 4 small square glass containers which can sit in the fridge for a while - same goes for the chicken, diced and fried with some herbs then boiled up to get a good soup and again divided into 4 square dishes.... so I have 8 'ready' meals ready to go, easy to vary as you prepare them to eat with pasta, rice or potato with varying mixes of frozen veg if I didnt' get time to buy fresh (sweetcorn/carrot/peas mostly when there's no broccoli/mushrooms etc).

A halogen oven makes easy work (30 minutes) of a roast pork joint dinner too, so there's always 2-3 frozen pork lumps in the freezer.

Breakfast is a combination of bread (usually buttered toast), eggs, baked beans, bologne/bacon/sausage, glass of milk and a pot of tea (Dilmah's cheap ceylon is wonderful, one bag makes 2-3 cups strong enough if steeped for 5 minutes). I'm good with eggs now - I have one block of butter to wipe my non-stick pan with, just whisk up 2 eggs with a bit of milk and a good pinch of salt to eat on toast or buttered bread. The secret is to have the pan barely warm enough to cook the eggs - they take me a while, about 6-7 minutes gets them perfect. Any faster and they're just not so good...

Head to Makro - 800 baht buys a 2kg block of cheese (but never Aro...) which is good for occasional sandwiches/cheese on toast and adding to your sauces. Powdered 'cream base' helps turn the chicken broth into a creamy sauce for pasta too.

I believe that yer body tells you when yer in balance between what it needs and what you consume...I start to feel all weird if I don't get enough fresh fruit and vegetables, don't matter when I eat them it's just having control and eating them when your body needs them...always useta be a big drag when I was at work and out on assignment and hadta eat hotel food every day...fortunately if it was long term I was able to find accommodation where I could prepare my own food, couldn't manage otherwise...it was always easiest in the middle east as the locals include mostly fresh food in their diet and there was always an abundance in the supermarkets, nice tomatoes and salad greens, wonderful cheap feta and fresh arabic bread, etc...asians eat mostly fresh food but it ain't the same...

always helps to go down the market a couple of times per week to see what they got even if ye don't havta buy nothin'...

Archived