Certifying Documents

khastan

Does anybody know Is there anywhere in Nong Khai I can get a Bangkok bank statement and a copy of my passport certified. Despite me having an account with the Midland/HSBC for nearly sixty years. and living in the same house in Thailand since 2007 they now want me to prove my identity and address.

They are now telling me they want a certified translation in English of the address on the bank statement because it's in Thai and are suggesting the bank does this!! Anybody in Nong Khai that can do this for me please.?
https://www.hsbc.co.uk/help/security-centre/hsbc-safeguard/faqs/documents-and-certification/#overseashow

1 hour ago, khastan said:

Does anybody know Is there anywhere in Nong Khai I can get a Bangkok bank statement and a copy of my passport certified.

it's almost identical to certifying a UK DWP pensions life certificate.

Dunno about Nong Khai but you get a Bkk bank statement from your Bkk bank branch.

A copy of your certified passport you get from the Thai UK embassy.

You can get local policemen to certify documents.

On 5/17/2019 at 7:53 PM, khastan said:

They are now telling me they want a certified translation in English of the address on the bank statement because it's in Thai and are suggesting the bank does this!! Anybody in Nong Khai that can do this for me please.?
https://www.hsbc.co.uk/help/security-centre/hsbc-safeguard/faqs/documents-and-certification/#overseashow

For the Bangkok Bank statement to reflect your address in English you need to have the bank enter you address in English in their system.   When you give them your address, like when opening an account, even if you write your address in English on the application Bangkok Bank will enter that address in Thai....and actually it gets entered twice in their system....both times in Thai.  

You can have them change one section to English.  I did this approx two months ago when needing a Bangkok Bank statement with my Thailand address in English.  Needed it to validate/provide proof of my address for an OFX money transfer account.  This was at my branch on Silom Rd in Bangkok. 

When I first got the statement it showed my address in Thai....I asked the bank rep in the statements section to provide it in English....the rep said no-can-do until I go to the accounts area of the bank (like where you open a new account) and have may address changed to English in their system. 

I went to the accounts section, told them what the other section said and what I needed, and they immediately began the process to change my address from Thai to English in their system.   Filled out a couple easy forms....they then took the forms and entered the info in their system as I watched....I did this on all three of my accounts with Bankgok Bank...changed all three account address to English versus Thai. 

OK I now have my Thailand address in the Bangkok Bank system in English.  I go back to the statements section, ask for a statement with signature and stamp, it only takes them a few minutes to generate this, and the statement now contains my Thailand address in English.

5 hours ago, Pib said:

For the Bangkok Bank statement to reflect your address in English you need to have the bank enter you address in English in their system.   When you give them your address, like when opening an account, even if you write your address in English on the application Bangkok Bank will enter that address in Thai....and actually it gets entered twice in their system....both times in Thai.  

You can have them change one section to English.  I did this approx two months ago when needing a Bangkok Bank statement with my Thailand address in English.  Needed it to validate/provide proof of my address for an OFX money transfer account.  This was at my branch on Silom Rd in Bangkok. 

When I first got the statement it showed my address in Thai....I asked the bank rep in the statements section to provide it in English....the rep said no-can-do until I go to the accounts area of the bank (like where you open a new account) and have may address changed to English in their system. 

I went to the accounts section, told them what the other section said and what I needed, and they immediately began the process to change my address from Thai to English in their system.   Filled out a couple easy forms....they then took the forms and entered the info in their system as I watched....I did this on all three of my accounts with Bankgok Bank...changed all three account address to English versus Thai. 

OK I now have my Thailand address in the Bangkok Bank system in English.  I go back to the statements section, ask for a statement with signature and stamp, it only takes them a few minutes to generate this, and the statement now contains my Thailand address in English.

do you recommend this OFX money transfer account ?    especially, when the BBL ACH transfers  stop being allowed ...

is this the same as  https://www.ofx.com/en-gb/  ? 

How does it compare to  Transferwise or is it preferred over transferwise

12 hours ago, mooping20Baht said:

do you recommend this OFX money transfer account ?    especially, when the BBL ACH transfers  stop being allowed ...

is this the same as  https://www.ofx.com/en-gb/  ? 

How does it compare to  Transferwise or is it preferred over transferwise

I do not recommend OFX "unless", repeat, unless they give you preferred customer exchange rates. 

While the OFX public exchange rate webpage shows mid markets rates (like what Transferwise actually give the OFX) the rates on the OFX public webpage are "not" actual customer rates. Only when opening an account will you see the real customer rates....and apparently they have different tier customer rates.

When I first opened an account with OFX the customer rates I was being offered were just too low....I was still better off using my bank or Transferwise to do transfers.   So, I never did any transfers.  Then around the first of this year I notice several ThaiVisa poster quoting the OFX rates they got for their transfers....good rates.  OK, I log back onto my account and see the rates I'm now being offer for transfers is much better.  In fact, since their are no sending fees on "my" OFX account (it varies if fees apply based on the country you sign up in....that is the US, UK, AU, etc).  And although the exchange rate was lower than the mid market/Transferwise rate, since there were no sending fees like Transferwise oe your sending bank charge the total amount of baht posting to my Thai bank account would basically equal, plus or minus a little, of a Transferwise transfer. 

For example as I wrote this post I logged onto my OFX and Transferwise account and prices out a transfer of $2,500USD to my Thai bank account.  Without showing the total cost analysis showing all fees, exchange rate, receiving bank fee, etc., for Transferwise Bt79,464.25 and for OFX Bt79,364.25 would have posted to my Thai bank account. 

If doing a 2000GBP transfer OFX would put Bt80,703.00 and Transferwise would put 80,802.70 into my Thai bank account after all the exchange rate/fees dust settled....once again, this is if you are getting an OFX preferred customer rate.

However, I'm getting preferred customer exchange rates for some unknown reason.   Other folks who have signed up for OFX get lower rates....like rates I got when first signing up.  Additionally, OFX uses SWIFT to get the funds into Thailand...not the peer-to-peer method used by Transferwise. 

Transferwise transfers are faster than OFX by a day or three from the US or AU....can't speak to transfer of GBP from the UK.   My Transferwise transfers of USD takes one or two business days....for OFX it takes four business days due to an ACH 3 day hold/clearing period they use since I'm funding the transfer via ACH.  If funds are pushed/wired to OFX then that extra holding/clearing period do not apply.  Also, I think OFX customer service is superior to Transferwise as you can get a human on the line at OFX 24/7 within minutes of calling.

So, do I recommend OFX.  No, unless you get preferred customer rates....if getting such rates then definitely Yes.

See this recent TV thread talking OFX

Hi Pib

Thank you for your helpful post . I tried your suggestion, and no can do I am afraid. I have asked them in the past to also verify DWP life certificates and also my passport and got the same answer, no can! They did refer me to a Thai legal just down the road previously so I had to go there again to get me passport certified and an English translation of my address duly stamped and signed and dated. I am waiting now to see if the HSBC bank will accept this document.

Archived