Does a Non-O convert to an O-A if I change from Marrraige extension to Retirement extension?

A few years ago I arrived with a Non-O and went through the steps to get the yearly extension based on marriage . When my year was up I got all the paperwork together including my Income Affidavit from the US Consulate. The IO saw that and said why bother with all this paper when a Retirement extension was a lot easier - she pulled out the paperwork she wanted and returned the rest to me. Ever since I have been doing Retirement extensions each year- did making  the change from Marriage Extension to Retirement alter my visa status as well?

You actually don't have a visa of any kind.

You have an extension of stay/permission to stay for one year at a time.

Your original visa is only mentioned because you must have one so you can convert to EOS/PTS.

The visa is gone, dead.

An O-A visa can only be obtained in your home country at a Thai embassy/consulate.

Edited by overherebc

No.

All you have done is changed the reason for your stay.

A category ‘O’ is issued to enter the country for ‘Other’ reasons which are interchangeable. Staying with family or retirement are two of the ‘other’ reasons.

2 minutes ago, overherebc said:

You actually don't have a visa of any kind.

Yes they do.

2 minutes ago, overherebc said:

You have an extension of stay/permission to stay for one year at a time.

Your original visa is only mentioned because you must have one so you can convert to EOS/PTS.

The visa is gone, dead.

The visa can no longer be used to enter the country, but it is still relevant to the reason for extension of stay.

The only consequence if you were to change to using "based on marriage" for your next extension (or for someone switching in the other direction), is that the new extension would not begin at the end of your current extension, but would instead begin on the date of your application. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Yes they do.

The visa can no longer be used to enter the country, but it is still relevant to the reason for extension of stay.

12 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Yes they do.

@elviajero Read carefully, I said that. 

'The visa is only mentioned because you need one before you convert to EOS/PTS'.

Are you here for the half hour arguement or the full hour???

Edited by overherebc

3 minutes ago, overherebc said:

The visa is only mentioned because you need one before you convert to EOS/PTS'.

Sorry but I agree with elviajero. The visa is not only for the "conversion to Extension of Stay" but is required for every subsequent Extension. That's the reason why Immigration report this "old" visa to your new passport everytime you change it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, overherebc said:
6 minutes ago, fishtank said:

No they do not.

Correct.

I challenge either of you to remove the entry visa sticker from your passport before applying for an extension of stay and report back how you get on!

1 minute ago, Pattaya46 said:

Sorry but I agree with elviajero. The visa is not only for the "conversion to Extension of Stay" but is required for every subsequent Extension. That's the reason why Immigration report this "old" visa to your new passport everytime you change it.

And if you get a new passport do they put an old ( could be 10 years ) visa in your passport? No, because they don't transfer visas, they only note the number because you must have 'had' a visa to 'convert' to an extension of stay.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, elviajero said:

I challenge either of you to remove the entry visa sticker from your passport before applying for an extension of stay and report back how you get on!

If it was in an expired passport and I was getting a new EOS after two or three passports then I could wipe my bum with it and throw in the fire.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, elviajero said:

You picked me up on this point in another thread. I was using simplistic comment to a chap that was confused about extension of stay based on retirement vs comments about "retirement visa". I kept it simple by saying he didn't have a visa. He had extension. Permit until. 

You got pedantic and said he does have a visa. (All be it expired). Your a well respected member for all your useful posts. I have related to friends often. 

Lighten up.

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

If it was in an expired passport and I was getting a new EOS after two or three passports then I could wipe my bum with it and throw in the fire.

Is sh÷#t flammable? ????????????????

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

Yes you could, because your visa information is recorded in your new passport. And if it isn’t you wouldn’t be issued an extension of stay.

2 hours ago, overherebc said:

@elviajero Read carefully, I said that. 

'The visa is only mentioned because you need one before you convert to EOS/PTS'.

I understand what you wrote and it’s wrong. And you do not convert to of from anything.

It is a requirement to have a non-immigrant visa in order to apply to extend a stay based on retirement. It doesn’t matter whether the visas use for entry has expired or is still valid, or is in an old passport.

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

You picked me up on this point in another thread. I was using simplistic comment to a chap that was confused about extension of stay based on retirement vs comments about "retirement visa". I kept it simple by saying he didn't have a visa. He had extension. Permit until. 

You got pedantic and said he does have a visa. (All be it expired). Your a well respected member for all your useful posts. I have related to friends often. 

Lighten up.

I’m not being pedantic Jack. It is factually wrong for people to say those with extensions of stay don’t have a visa, because they do. They needed it to enter the country and details of it are required for the first and all future extension applications.

What many don’t have is a visa that is still valid for entry; nonetheless they have a non-immigrant visa.

• Thanks 1