Jump to content
BANGKOK 20 May 2019 05:19
khunbillmex

Does a Non-O convert to an O-A if I change from Marrraige extension to Retirement extension?

Recommended Posts

A few years ago I arrived with a Non-O and went through the steps to get the yearly extension based on marriage . When my year was up I got all the paperwork together including my Income Affidavit from the US Consulate. The IO saw that and said why bother with all this paper when a Retirement extension was a lot easier - she pulled out the paperwork she wanted and returned the rest to me. Ever since I have been doing Retirement extensions each year- did making  the change from Marriage Extension to Retirement alter my visa status as well?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You actually don't have a visa of any kind.

You have an extension of stay/permission to stay for one year at a time.

Your original visa is only mentioned because you must have one so you can convert to EOS/PTS.

The visa is gone, dead.

An O-A visa can only be obtained in your home country at a Thai embassy/consulate.

Edited by overherebc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No.

 

All you have done is changed the reason for your stay.

 

A category ‘O’ is issued to enter the country for ‘Other’ reasons which are interchangeable. Staying with family or retirement are two of the ‘other’ reasons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, overherebc said:

You actually don't have a visa of any kind.

Yes they do.

 

2 minutes ago, overherebc said:

You have an extension of stay/permission to stay for one year at a time.

Your original visa is only mentioned because you must have one so you can convert to EOS/PTS.

The visa is gone, dead.

The visa can no longer be used to enter the country, but it is still relevant to the reason for extension of stay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only consequence if you were to change to using "based on marriage" for your next extension (or for someone switching in the other direction), is that the new extension would not begin at the end of your current extension, but would instead begin on the date of your application. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Yes they do.

 

The visa can no longer be used to enter the country, but it is still relevant to the reason for extension of stay.

 

12 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Yes they do.

 

The visa can no longer be used to enter the country, but it is still relevant to the reason for extension of stay.

@elviajero Read carefully, I said that. 

'The visa is only mentioned because you need one before you convert to EOS/PTS'.

Are you here for the half hour arguement or the full hour???

Edited by overherebc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, fishtank said:

You don't have a Visa status.

You have a 12 month extension of stay based on retirement.

Yes they do!

 

Their visa status is ‘non-immigrant’.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, overherebc said:

The visa is only mentioned because you need one before you convert to EOS/PTS'.

Are you here for the half hour arguement or the full hour???

Sorry but I agree with elviajero. The visa is not only for the "conversion to Extension of Stay" but is required for every subsequent Extension. That's the reason why Immigration report this "old" visa to your new passport everytime you change it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, overherebc said:
6 minutes ago, fishtank said:

No they do not.

Correct.

I challenge either of you to remove the entry visa sticker from your passport before applying for an extension of stay and report back how you get on!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Pattaya46 said:

Sorry but I agree with elviajero. The visa is not only for the "conversion to Extension of Stay" but is required for every subsequent Extension. That's the reason why Immigration report this "old" visa to your new passport everytime you change it.

And if you get a new passport do they put an old ( could be 10 years ) visa in your passport? No, because they don't transfer visas, they only note the number because you must have 'had' a visa to 'convert' to an extension of stay.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Yes they do!

 

Their visa status is ‘non-immigrant’.

Wrong. No doubt about that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, elviajero said:

I challenge either of you to remove the entry visa sticker from your passport before applying for an extension of stay and report back how you get on!

If it was in an expired passport and I was getting a new EOS after two or three passports then I could wipe my bum with it and throw in the fire.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...