Don't live in Thailand, renew thai driving license after 5 years docs

It depends on your office one way or the other you will be able to renew and for those who don’t know you cannot renew your licence until it has expired twice over the last 13 years I have gone to renew the day before and every time I got turned away the last time I was told come back two months when it was clear the licence only had 1 day left before expiry  I went back 4 months later as I live on another island and had no problems they just dated it from when it expired.

When my 2 Yr licence expired, 3 mths, I needed a cert of residence and medical cert to renew. Only given out now to anyone on a current Non-Imm visa, not SETV or 30 days visa exempt. Also 2 wk waiting to take new compulsory test for all, Thai or farang. 

My licence was renewed to full 5 Yr. Still needed to do computer test with pass of 90%, and watch videos etc to get new licence. Not as straight forward as I expected but walked out with a new 5 Yr licence. This was in Bangkok. 

Do you have a IDL and a valid DL from your home country (also depends what country) depends on your country. Just Incase you

have to start over (keeps you from taking written and driving test) but yiu still have to take the braking and the other wacky test don’t know what it’s called. I had to go look at it to figure out what it was for. you’ll need a health certificate.

i just went from a 2 year to 5 year no health certificate needed. 

Best of luck and and hope you have a good local DLT. I had to go to Udon Thani (Good English speaking) which was better than the Kumphawapi office ( No English).

On 5/18/2019 at 10:19 AM, crazykopite said:

It depends on your office one way or the other you will be able to renew and for those who don’t know you cannot renew your licence until it has expired twice over the last 13 years I have gone to renew the day before and every time I got turned away the last time I was told come back two months when it was clear the licence only had 1 day left before expiry  I went back 4 months later as I live on another island and had no problems they just dated it from when it expired.

It surely must depend on the local office.

Recently, I had three months left and went to the local office as I wanted the licence with the new barcode to put on my phone.

They issued a new one there and then after a brake test and colour blindness test. I think I paid in the region of 500 baht for a five-year licence.

7 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

It surely must depend on the local office.

Recently, I had three months left and went to the local office as I wanted the licence with the new barcode to put on my phone.

They issued a new one there and then after a brake test and colour blindness test. I think I paid in the region of 500 baht for a five-year licence.

which office? 

I live in Chiang Mai Province and renewed my 5 year license about 2 months ago 

If I wanted to use the yellow house book and pink ID card they would only give me a two year license so had to get the residency certificate from Immigration.

On 5/18/2019 at 11:35 AM, owenm said:

When my 2 Yr licence expired, 3 mths, I needed a cert of residence and medical cert to renew. Only given out now to anyone on a current Non-Imm visa, not SETV or 30 days visa exempt. Also 2 wk waiting to take new compulsory test for all, Thai or farang. 

My licence was renewed to full 5 Yr. Still needed to do computer test with pass of 90%, and watch videos etc to get new licence. Not as straight forward as I expected but walked out with a new 5 Yr licence. This was in Bangkok. 

"Only given out now to anyone on a current Non-Imm visa, not SETV or 30 days visa exempt."

Not the standard. As long as one has a certificate of residence, DLT's will nearly always renew.

"My licence was renewed to full 5 Yr. Still needed to do computer test with pass of 90%, and watch videos etc to get new licence."

So you were renewing 2-5 but still had to do the computer test? Very unusual.

"Also 2 wk waiting to take new compulsory test for all, Thai or farang. "

There is no compulsory test for all for renewal, except of course reaction/light recognition.

Archived