Tukcom Pattaya Tai -- Public Sitting Space All Gone Now

Jingthing

Some may remember there was a row of seats near the front of Tukcom. They were always full. People doing what they do in public. It was a lively, civilized scene.

TORN DOWN to be replaced by a row of -- ATM machines.

Then in the basement adjacent to Tops there were about six sets of tables and chairs. Often full. People eating snacks they bought in the store or elsewhere, talking, etc. 

Sometimes strangers would meet there and talk, no, not what you're thinking. 

REMOVED!

Then there were just two tables on the other side, perhaps for a few days. Any kind of scene already RUINED.

Then … even those stragglers -- REMOVED.

Now there is a counter of some sort, refuse being left on it, people leaning against it pathetically, I spotted a ROACH. How apt.

I really don't get it. How short sighted. A little bit of a public space … too much. 

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, KittenKong said:

I expect they want people to pay to sit down. In Starbucks for example.

That's obvious but that's not the point. 

Lots of people can't afford to go to Starbucks often. 

There's such a thing as a place having a little bit of SOUL. A tiny little bit of a public culture. They killed it. I think that's sad. 

Remember all the free "sitting-opportunities" on Beach Road? = If you want to sit in Pattaya, you have to pay for it.
The 2 to 3 steps leading up to some 7/11 stores as the last resort? Bring along a foldable Camping-Chair?

Pattaya is sorely lacking in parks. One at Pratumnak on the side of a steep hill is about it.

Malls have some seating but it can be hard to find a free seat. In Central Marina some Thais take up 2 or 3 seats by crashing out for a nap. Security should turf them out.

I have sat in cafes in parks in Bangkok and Chiang Mai and it is great to pass an hour this way.

Any spare land in Pattaya is a coach and car park. 

Build some multi-storey parking and get some proper parks with grass, flower beds and shady trees. Have cafes and massage places too in them so the owners have some rental income.

1 hour ago, champers said:

Pattaya is sorely lacking in parks. One at Pratumnak on the side of a steep hill is about it.

Malls have some seating but it can be hard to find a free seat. In Central Marina some Thais take up 2 or 3 seats by crashing out for a nap. Security should turf them out.

I have sat in cafes in parks in Bangkok and Chiang Mai and it is great to pass an hour this way.

Build some multi-storey parking and get some proper parks with grass, flower beds and shady trees. Have cafes and massage places too in them so the owners have some rental income.

Hey we still have the Bali Hai Leisure Park..

2 hours ago, champers said:

T21 has adequate seating.

3 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I expect they want people to pay to sit down. In Starbucks for example.

HeHe! I see the humor in this.

If referring to Starbucks / Beach Road, one can sit for half the price at McDonalds as far as Coffee is concerned. Only 20 meters away. Same view, same noise, same air-pollution, same passers-by, same Motorbike salesmen wanting to sell you a 500 Bht quality Swiss watch.

- It's just if one sits at said Starbucks, the local Female Population frequenting Beach Road will deduce that one is a 2-week millionaire, thus applying Starbucks-Prices when it comes to administer a classic Thai Massage. 

You got to love the "inner-workings of Pattaya.

PS: The Coffee at Starbucks isen't any better than the cesspool effluent that is served at McDonalds.

Plenty of free sitting space in Harbor mall... Free WiFi too.. not many stores though...lol

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk

A decent civilized mall has "FREE" PUBLIC AMENITIES. That includes toilets, public seating and often more frills like free entertainment (indoors and out) and play areas for children. The enlightened view of a mall is that a mall is one of the third places in society (after work and home). I call it short sighted to kill all the seating at Tukcom because people aren't coming there just to sit. They're in the mall mostly for other reasons and usually to spend some money. By making it more pleasant (acknowledging that humans sometimes need a toilet or want to take a sitting break) they create a more attractive environment that people will want to come back to more often, and when they do of course, they will usually be spending some money. 

4 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Free AC is one of them.

Yes, that is true, but still a good percentage of people in malls to cool off are buying SOMETHING. Even if it's just some water at Boots.

Let's get real here. Tukcom is a depressed mall and it's been in decline. Removing the last PUBLIC amenity aside from toilets is NOT helping their case. 

Enlightened management of such a place would be taking aggressive actions in the OPPOSITE direction. 

There is seating at Friendship just up the road and any number of coffee shops by the Buakao Junction that don't charge Starbucks outrageous prices. . They're only 50m away.

Tukcom is pretty much a dump anyway unless you want a sneid TV box or an overpriced laptop.

33 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Let's get real here. Tukcom is a depressed mall and it's been in decline. 

Because you cannot sit down? How petty.

A non true comment.  Every time I go there the place is packed and it is the most recommended tech location in the city.  

Not in decline at all.

Like another person suggested, spend 100 b and nurse a coffee or I think a cookie is 50 b at Starbucks they also have a second floor the aircon is great.

The higher up you go in Tukcom, the quieter and roomier it gets. I suppose all the vendors want to be near street level.

I would reccomend OP goes to Deli Diner and orders the Spaghetti and Meatballs.

OP needs to walk around the corner near Tops the tables and chairs are still there in fact a few more added.

People just hanging out no commitment to buy anything.

Also, plenty of seats at Starbucks a donut is 30 b should not set people back too much. 

????

IMG_20190518_151445829.jpg

IMG_20190518_152024203_BURST001.jpg

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

OP needs to walk around the corner near Tops the tables and chairs are still there in fact a few more added.

People just hanging out no commitment to buy anything.

Also, plenty of seats at Starbucks a donut is 30 b should not set people back too much. 

????

IMG_20190518_151445829.jpg

IMG_20190518_152024203_BURST001.jpg

Are you playing games?

I was there YESTERDAY.

The tables were all gone as I described in the OP.

Also to the left of tables in your picture there was a new very large vendor station which they had obviously rented out. Selling some kind of product I can't even name. 

TukCom building must have been built by the cheapest, inexperienced construction workers the owners could scrape up from Isaan. The place was still a dump after the building was renovated. And to add to the confusion of the place, it seems ever square meter of walking space of the first 3 floors has to be rented out for more revenue. Because the outside & inside is not “consumer friendly” I stay away from this dump.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

7 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

how 'bout a gofundme to rent a space and install tables and chairs?

I wouldn't. It's their loss as far as I can see to be so short sighted. That said whatever rent that vendor is paying to displace the tables really can't be much. Sometimes bean counters should be counting their own brain cell beans instead. 

Just now, baansgr said:

Public Space is a park. greenery, plants, trees....plastic chairs in a basement ????

I agree it's a low level of public space but it was really better than NOTHING. Obviously it's within a privately owned building. That really isn't the point to look at it that literally. 

A shopping mall, is today's 'public square' thus NEEDS 'people.'

Even if just sitting, not shopping, otherwise it looks (feels) dead. Think of walking into a bar or restaurant with ZERO (or few customers). NOT inviting.

Central Festival, to their credit for example, recently created an Expats Chess area (4th floor, towards the Beach) with about 10 tables. Kudos to the management!

2 minutes ago, galt67 said:

A shopping mall, is today's 'public square' thus NEEDS 'people.'

Even if just sitting, not shopping, otherwise it looks (feels) dead. Think of walking into a bar or restaurant with ZERO (or few customers). NOT inviting.

Central Festival, to their credit for example, recently created an Expats Chess area (4th floor, towards the Beach) with about 10 tables. Kudos to the management!

Thanks. Somebody gets it. 

18 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Every time I go there the place is packed and it is the most recommended tech location in the city.  

Not in decline at all.

It's the most recommended tech place here because it's the only tech place here. But the choice of products available is pathetic, and prices are often very high. JIB is about the only shop worth bothering with. Usually much better to hop on the bus to Bangkok for any tech shopping.

The upper floors are mostly empty these days: no shops or people. I remember when it was called Day/Night decades ago. Back then it was full from top to bottom and had a big food court on the top floor.

16 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Are you playing games?

I was there YESTERDAY.

The tables were all gone as I described in the OP.

Also to the left of tables in your picture there was a new very large vendor station which they had obviously rented out. Selling some kind of product I can't even name. 

Haha.  Seriously?

No, you are playing games I took that photo yesterday afternoon.

Stop making false reports go there and see for yourself or get your eyes checked....

Archived