Poll -- Record your "Long Stay" health insurance requirement predictions

Health Insurance Requirements Prediction Poll  

200 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

I think there should be a requirement even for short term tourists to prove on arrival that they carry travel insurance 

Taken into account how easy it is for a German eg (all mandatory members of the social health system) to get an affordable travel insurance that should be easy. Just check their health insurance card when they embark. And make sure Thai hospitals can make their claims to the Western social health systems.  

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, simon43 said:

They cover you for life.  they cannot increase your individual annual premium, no matter how many times they pay out on any claims that you might make.  They can only increase your premium for everyone in the saqme age band.

It's ridiculous to calculate permiums by age bands. Everyone has a different medical history. They should give a big bonus to those that come up with a medical record and no pre-existing conditions in it. 

1 hour ago, rumak said:

their way of saying thank you....

I had my life-expectancy estimated by my medical record. They say I can get more than 100 years old if I don't have an accident. How much would my premiums be at the age of 100?

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I predict China will become another place for us to retire in a short time frame.

VISAs are very easy now, and cheap if you're not American and buy outside the west.

A few years ago China killed off long stay retirement visas if I remember correctly.

They cover you for life.  they cannot increase your individual annual premium, no matter how many times they pay out on any claims that you might make.  They can only increase your premium for everyone in the saqme age band.

Yes which is consistent with other non thai companies. But you realise premiums will go up likely higher to what they told you? it seems they told you premium now not estimated in 14 years time. People often fall for that

Compulsory insurance for all countries. In the case of Thailand there are enough bludgers here already using up the system meant for poorer Thais. When they {foreigners} get sick or have an accident they they cry please help me by go fund me etc. If you can't afford insurance you shouldn't be here, go home and bludge on your own country.     

17 hours ago, mania said:

I think it is a pretty easy assumption that all forms will eventually require medical insurance.

Folks now without would do well to decide what they want to do about it in the future.

Meaning find suitable insurance now or start planning an exit

Especially if one has hard assets in Thailand to sell

Why would you need 400k coverage when you've got 800k in the bank or income to that effect... i'm assuming you're suggesting retirement visa ext. would be included. 

I would rather put an additional 400k in the bank and have it collect interest, than throw away 60k a year for 400k of questionable coverage...... (ins. companies always have ways out of paying...).

It's clear to me that the ins.  companies have been working behind the scenes to lobby for this huge windfall... its amazing that they've slipped this legislation in without debate or clarity or alternatives to insurance. 

5 hours ago, mania said:

I think it is a pretty easy assumption that all forms will eventually require medical insurance.

Folks now without would do well to decide what they want to do about it in the future.

so thats the house ,the car , the wife ,our son ,(will i have to include his girlfriend as well>)  ?

If the road is blocked, you find an alternate route, there is no need to panic or "go home" !

Just because 1 visa classification condition has changed there is no need to panic and scream, just use another of which there are several.

May not be quite as convenient but there are always options. Speculating on what might happen will just lead you down a path of unnecessary worry.

If you want to play that game, "what if " you get killed in an accident next week, it was all a waste of time and energy wasnt it, as it always is playing the "what if" game.

Why do posters on TV always want to do TI's job for them! Let them try and sort it out themselves and then realise it can't be done. They have already delegated the financials to Banks. Let's wait and see who they delegate this too!

27 minutes ago, steve C said:

Compulsory insurance for all countries. In the case of Thailand there are enough bludgers here already using up the system meant for poorer Thais. When they {foreigners} get sick or have an accident they they cry please help me by go fund me etc. If you can't afford insurance you shouldn't be here, go home and bludge on your own country.     

I will certainly not repatriate to that disgusting "country" (EU Germany) that issued my passport. 

There's other ways to manage life and not be a burden to Thailand than the private health insurance solution. 

4 hours ago, 473geo said:

Poll is misleading - as of now 38 voted - 25 for 1st option is not the 23% as showing -more like 65%

I dont do polls on here because it usually comes back to bite you.....most often in the form of another advertisement.  A similar poll on FB, which nobody on here knew about, and if read by Thai Immigration, would have them believe an overwhelming majority of over 50's wanted compulsory health insurance which is totally wrong.  Somebody starting a poll usually means somebody is wanting to make money from you.

4 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Yes, they know the boarding requirements for visa, tickets etc, so checking another document is not that hard

Modern communication , put the policy number into a system, then is comes back as valid or not, the systems are available, not an impossibility.  Some one will always try to rip off a system, but most abide by rules and regulations.

You ever tried too read the the many pages of the Terms and Conditions of an Insurance Policy ?

2 hours ago, tomster said:

I am such a person, Thai wife and our kids, the kids have Thai and UK passports but she only has Thai.

I thought long and hard about going back to the UK (or Germany, I have a German passport as well) but decided that it was just too far from Asia.

Instead I went to Cambodia. Not everybody's cup of tea, but the people are 1000% more genuine than the Thai's and the country is growing like crazy (all Chinese money of course but where in Asia is that different).

One of the very overlooked places for people with Thai family's that want to leave but don't want to go to far from Thailand is Siem Reap. Great city, very tourist based but expanding rapidly and a new airpoort being built that will reallly increase the overall size of the city.

And if your wife is from Isaan, it's 2.5 hours to the Surin border, back home for the weekend is easy. A handful of cheap, good quality international schools for the kids, huge selection of restaurants, easy visas even for freelancers and online workers, 100% company ownership if needed, Grab app that works perfectly, good (great) wine for $10 a bottle, cheap fast internet, airport with great Asean connections, housing similar to Thailand (not quite as good yet), really not that many neagtives.

Bit on the hotter side of warm, can get dusty, loads of tourists constantly, but they are confined to the tourist areas mostly and the are generally not looking for sex, mainly just backpackers, Chinese and wealthier Europeans.

If I was a single guy I wouldn't like it, way too boring. But for mixed family's looking to "soft exit" exit Thailand and get away from all the ridiculous new rules and anti expat feeling, currently Siem Reap is a easily doable, affordable option.

What type of long term Visa could my Thai Girlfriend aged 41 get in Cambodia ?

13 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

You ever tried too read the the many pages of the Terms and Conditions of an Insurance Policy ?

Yep but the valid dates, countries covered and policy holders name are the main thing for the insurance, it is up to the consumer which policy they purchase, not the airlines.

1 hour ago, steve C said:

Bullschlassach, they reek in a whopping 65 billion USD from tourism revenue, their measly 9 million minus (over all) are a non-topic really, standard cost of business, nothing else.

And especially with their extremely poor safety standards everywhere here the better part of it is solely on them in the first place!

An epic insurance scam, that's what it is.

6 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

I found hitting the magic age of 70 increased my policy fees, by 75% and have no pre existing conditions. Never made a claim.

That sucks. Sorry about that. 

9 hours ago, elviajero said:

When was that confirmed?

Pretty clear cut that anyone applying for a non-immigrant O-A VISA in their own country will have to provide evidence of HI from m July 2019.

1 hour ago, Jumbo1968 said:

This is quite similar to reading a TVF thread on anything that upsets the expat community.

If I recall correctly,  in the very first article about the proposed health insurance the spokesman mentioned something about money in the bank for those unable to get insurance. 

Panicking over nothing methinks.

Quote "

•  

“The Cabinet has already approved the new rule,” Health Service Support Department director-general Nattawuth Prasert-siripong revealed yesterday. 

RELATED: Thaivisa Health Protect: Medical insurance for expats in Thailand 

According to Nattawuth, the new rule applies to both new applicants for the non-immigrant visa (O-A), which offers a stay of up to one year, and those wishing to renew their visa. Each renewal is valid for one year.

Overseas policies okay too

“Such health insurance is good for foreigners too,” Nattawuth said. 

Foreigners can buy valid health insurance from longstay.tgia.org or if they wish to use health insurance that they bought overseas, they must ensure that the coverage amount is no less than what is required by the rule. “We are going to discuss with relevant authorities on to how to check the validity of health insurance bought from overseas,” Nattawuth said. 

Asked about foreigners who cannot buy health insurance because their health risks are considered too high, Nattawuth said relevant authorities might consider requiring them to have higher deposits in bank accounts so as to make sure that they have enough to live in Thailand.

7 hours ago, oxysong said:

All those 50 plus and laughing with low insurance costs,..your time will arrive

While it may not be common, I'm sure there are those who, like me, have medical (dental, vision and prescription drug) coverage paired with pension for life. I expect these days such coverage for new hires is extremely rare, but if you were hired 50 years ago or thereabouts it may have been more common.

im not laughing with low insurance costs, but for me/us the prospect of our time arriving re: insurance isn't a problem.  Others who started working back then may not have med insurance for free but may have pensions that are tied to realistic inflation rises.

Or maybe there are those who realized that medical insurance costs needed to be given serious consideration when doing retirement planning and they have, sensibly been paying for it all along and fully appreciate that it will become far more expensive in time.

Actually those unable to pay their medical bills are being subsidized by those of us who can pay. The for-profit hospitals favored by farang have to find a way to make up the losses incurred by dead beat patient. Assuming they don't have a magic money machine, they need to raise prices to cover losses. 

8 hours ago, mania said:

..what about me ...I am 76 years old, staying in Thailand now with a yearly retirement extension and married with a Thai lady for more than 30 years.

I cannot find any company offering me a health insurance...and I cannot blame them because they are not in the business of providing health insurance but in the business of making money

..what about me ...I am 76 years old, staying in Thailand now with a yearly retirement extension and married with a Thai lady for more than 30 years.
I cannot find any company offering me a health insurance...and I cannot blame them because they are not in the business of providing health insurance but in the business of making money
If you listen to some of the nasty posters on here,they dont care just leave everything and piss off home.But then most of them own nothing,just live day to day on the barstool and it does not matter to them if they have to leave.most of us though are here with wives children ,homes and a REAL life.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

57 minutes ago, fvw53 said:

Could your wife take out private insurance in her name and you as a dependant??

Archived