Folau sacked by Rugby Australia over social media post

11 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

Cobblers. He can call you a sinner

I speak as a white, heterosexual male - that privileged (sic) majority loathed and vilified by so-called oppressed minorities, be they black, coloured, feminist, or members of the LBGTQ...XYZ community.

We have learned to turn the other cheek because being offended is the price of having a democratic society. Others should learn to do the same. Instead, the reverse is happening.

Silly, invented words like homophobia, transphobia and islamophobia along with the catch-all accusation of "hate speech" are increasingly being used to stifle criticism and inhibit legitimate debate. 

What absolute tosh. 

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Baht Simpson said:

As an atheist and a gay man I don't consider it hate speech either. I consider it for what it is, religious bigotry. 

Agreed ..... off to Supreme Court .... defence of religious freedom of speech, not advocating anything in this life .... let's see him play.

13 minutes ago, Baht Simpson said:

Leviticus 19:28, ”You shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor tattoo any marks on you: I am the Lord.

He seems to have given himself an exception on the tattoos. How convenient and typically hypocritical. 

images.jpeg

Possibly part of his cultural heritage though, also Leviticus prevents one from cutting ones hair, and wearing mixed material garments, working on sabbath.

Just now, RJRS1301 said:

Possibly part of his cultural heritage though, also Leviticus prevents one from cutting ones hair, and wearing mixed material garments, working on sabbath.

Maybe <deleted> your girlfriend before you get married is also part of his cultural heritage too, although his particular strict religious views - coincidentally the same as today's Prime Minister (not sure about tomorrow) - say otherwise

15 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

Cobblers. He can call you a sinner, according to his religious beliefs, and you can call him (as you have publicly here) a brainwashed bigot. 

Seems to me that's a fair and frank exchange of views. If you are offended, tough. And likewise the other way around.

I speak as a white, heterosexual male - that privileged (sic) majority loathed and vilified by so-called oppressed minorities, be they black, coloured, feminist, or members of the LBGTQ...XYZ community.

We have learned to turn the other cheek because being offended is the price of having a democratic society. Others should learn to do the same. Instead, the reverse is happening.

Silly, invented words like homophobia, transphobia and islamophobia along with the catch-all accusation of "hate speech" are increasingly being used to stifle criticism and inhibit legitimate debate. 

Social media giants like Facebook and Google are now blatantly conspiring with governments in order to control not just what we are allowed to say, but what we ought to THINK. 

This is a dangerous new development. Historically, curbs on free speech, far from making societies more tolerant, have almost invariably led to a violent backlash.

The rise of the ultra-right across the West is the writing on the wall we all should heed.

Australia does not have a Bill of Rights about free speech, religion ( freedom of ) covered in the constitution, the other things are civered under anti-discrimination legislation

17 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

Apparently he says he repents of that particular sin

Yet he's still happy to display them and hasn't had them removed. Even more hypocritical. It doesn't wash I'm afraid. Like the tattoos. ???? Also, he doesn't include tattoos on his list of sins, most of which are directed at others. 

1 hour ago, ThaiBunny said:

As a gay man myself I can tell you I'm still trying to find one. Most of us are sluts, and happily so

That barely matters. Because you are promiscuous, does not mean you do not lead a righteous life. I certainly am not making judgments here based on either sexual preference or degree of sexual activity. That is personal, and a person who professes to be "religious" has no business imposing his or her beliefs on the world. Wars have been started over such nonsense. Live and let live, right? Alot of straight men and women are sluts too. Barely matters. 

1 hour ago, Burma Bill said:

He will no doubt get a top job in Brunei - if rugby is played there!

Well, he belongs in Brunei. Although they probably do not have much tolerance for Christians, as they are probably judged to be on the wrong path too. Sharia is a very harsh belief system, and is founded upon a tremendous degree of ignorance, has nothing to do with spirit. It has no rightful place on this planet, and is a hateful set of laws based on zero understanding of "truth".

48 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Australia does not have a Bill of Rights about free speech, religion ( freedom of ) covered in the constitution, the other things are civered under anti-discrimination legislation

No but certain rights have been called out by the High Court. One is freedom of political expression, when politicians have attempted to restrict political advertising

52 minutes ago, Baht Simpson said:

What absolute tosh. 

What a tribute to free speech that is.

(Bit naughty, though, cherry picking bits of what I said and using out of context. You don't work for the BBC, by any chance?).

1 hour ago, ThaiBunny said:

In my opinion the whole SSM nonsense is simply letting the side down. The only true homosexual is the one who embraces sexual freedom and bears witness to it in the same way Israel Folau bears witness to his faith - publicly. In the 21st century what is the point of perpetuating a monogamous patriarchal relationship based on property law?

But the whole idea of SSM is to bear witness to your love - publically. We're similar in that I would never want to marry but I don't see it as letting the side down. What business is it of mine? The idea of the "true" homosexual is a particularly dangerous road to go down. 

2 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

What a tribute to free speech that is.

(Bit naughty, though, cherry picking bits of what I said and using out of context. You don't work for the BBC, by any chance?).

The reason I "cherry picked" the bits I did is because I agree with the rest of your content. If I'd highlighted it all it would seem I was disagreeing with everything, which I don't. Not naughty, just standard practice. ???? The rise of the far-right is a different subject. 

2 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

1 minute ago, Baht Simpson said:

At my age promiscuity come under the heading "Nostalgia". ????

It's like that French term menage a trois. It means one thing to the husband, but to the wife it translates as "in your dreams"

1 hour ago, Krataiboy said:

Cobblers. He can call you a sinner, according to his religious beliefs, and you can call him (as you have publicly here) a brainwashed bigot. 

Seems to me that's a fair and frank exchange of views. If you are offended, tough. And likewise the other way around.

Social media giants like Facebook and Google are now blatantly conspiring with governments in order to control not just what we are allowed to say, but what we ought to THINK. 

This is a dangerous new development. Historically, curbs on free speech, far from making societies more tolerant, have almost invariably led to a violent backlash.

The rise of the ultra-right across the West is the writing on the wall we all should heed.

I think you are missing the point. I'm not getting paid millions while I express my views. Until recently, Folau was.

Like you, I am a white heterosexual male. While I don't disagree there are tactics such as reverse racism, it's a slippery slope towards white supremacist Nazism I consider we should avoid.

Are you so free of sin you won't join me in Folau's hell?

45 minutes ago, Baht Simpson said:

The reason I "cherry picked" the bits I did is because I agree with the rest of your content. If I'd highlighted it all it would seem I was disagreeing with everything, which I don't. Not naughty, just standard practice. ???? The rise of the far-right is a different subject. 

So what was "tosh"?

7 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I think you are missing the point. I'm not getting paid millions while I express my views. Until recently, Folau was.

Like you, I am a white heterosexual male. While I don't disagree there are tactics such as reverse racism, it's a slippery slope towards white supremacist Nazism I consider we should avoid.

Are you so free of sin you won't join me in Folau's hell?

The amount of money Folau earns is irrelevant. He should not be hounded out of his profession for expressing his religious beliefs.

Would he, one wonders, be in the same leaky boat if he had spoken out similarly as a follower of Muhammed instead of Christ?

Right now, it is the so-called regressive, radical left and their obsession with identity politics, which is leading us down the slippery slope to an authoritarian hell on earth.

53 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

"Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" suggests it will be the fun happening place

Lots of judgement on your style, have to be able to squeal,  do jazz hands, and have a sibilant "s" 

Love Lady GaGa and know all the words to Wizard of Oz:)????

6 hours ago, DoctorG said:

Why do they think they will suddenly be competitive? They hardly won anything even with their best player in.

/

Just look at the person making the statement. What a wonderful impact she's made on Rugby Union in Australia. 

1 minute ago, Baerboxer said:

Just look at the person making the statement. What a wonderful impact she's made on Rugby Union in Australia. 

She looks like she has been in a few scrums.

1 hour ago, Krataiboy said:

So what was "tosh"?

Well, firstly you state it was a "fair and frank exchange of views". The original tweet was nothing of the sort. It was a dictum, "homosexuals are sinners", complete with the requisite punishment in bold letters "Hell awaits you."  Since then Folau has said that Jesus means more to him than even his friends or family so there is no room in his mind for an even discussion.

Secondly, to put yourself as a white, heterosexual male in the same position as oppressed minorities is daft. If you had to put up with all the casual racist shit and homophobia that others do every day you would understand. Even in this thread someone has used the derogatory term "faggot."

Next, you seem to be suggesting that we should learn to turn the other cheek to people who insult us publicly. That's not acceptable with race or sexuality I'm afraid. 

Next, invented words like Islamophobia and Homophobia? All words are invented and they're invented for a reason, these ones to denote prejudice and bigotry. I'm not a big fan of the hate speech laws but it is interesting that it's the usual suspects that get caught in that net.

I partly agree with you on Twitter and Facebook. I don't believe that they can teach us how to think but I do think they are collusive in the promotion of misinformation. 

Curbs on free speech? Not really. I remember a few years ago Ann Widdicombe was on T.V., radio, her blog, a podcast, a political website and in a debate saying that she wasn't able to give her views. ???? There are more platforms than ever before to get your views across. But there are obvious limits as some have found to their cost, i.e. Danny Baker.

I can't comment on the justification for his removal as I don't know how the rules work but it does seem he left them little option, advertently or not.

Folau's tweets aren't about beliefs, they're about crime and punishment.

I'm sure we agree on the hard right and hard left.

Archived