Folau sacked by Rugby Australia over social media post

1 minute ago, Baht Simpson said:

Just one more thing. I see his tweet says homosexuality, not homosexual acts, so he's even misquoting the Bible. You see how dangerous this becomes?

Well so many interpretations of the book of myths over the years, another one maters nought

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

The amount of money Folau earns is irrelevant. He should not be hounded out of his profession for expressing his religious beliefs.

Would he, one wonders, be in the same leaky boat if he had spoken out similarly as a follower of Muhammed instead of Christ?

Right now, it is the so-called regressive, radical left and their obsession with identity politics, which is leading us down the slippery slope to an authoritarian hell on earth.

Folau can earn money elsewhere, such as Brunei where his views are in tune with the sharia law.

His money is highly relevant, as it makes him a high profile sportsman. He's just too stupid to keep his mouth shut. And yes, I think he would be in the same leaky boat as far as Rugby Australia is concerned if he was a Muslim saying the same things publicly.

The  concept of original sin is unique to Christianity. Acceptance of the dogma a new-born baby starts sinning as soon as it greets the world is further evidence of the mental absurdity of people such as Folau.

It's regressive when hatred and intolerance  is tolerated in the name of free speech.. Are you sure you would not be more comfortable back in the days of the British Raj?

3 hours ago, Baht Simpson said:

Just one more thing. I see his tweet says homosexuality, not homosexual acts, so he's even misquoting the Bible. You see how dangerous this becomes?

You must be reading a modern version of the Bible as the original does not use those terms.

Actually I do not think that he will be missed by the Australian team as he often had his bad days when he did not want to get his hands dirty. If you watched the NSW V Qld game today you would see how dangerous Beale is at fullback when he does not need to pay second fiddle to Folau. But if anyone wants to bet on Australia in the World cup send me a PM for a quote.

12 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

You must be reading a modern version of the Bible as the original does not use those terms.

He uses The Modern International version in all his tweets which explicitly mentions practicing homosexuality as having sex with another man. 

1 minute ago, Baht Simpson said:

He uses The Modern International version in all his tweets which explicitly mentions practicing homosexuality as having sex with another man. 

He should read an older version but then many people would not understand what it said.

1 hour ago, GreasyFingers said:

Does the original include the Apocrypha? Now that's where you can see Christianity in its true colors.

43 minutes ago, Baht Simpson said:

Well, firstly you state it was a "fair and frank exchange of views". The original tweet was nothing of the sort. It was a dictum, "homosexuals are sinners", complete with the requisite punishment in bold letters "Hell awaits you."  Since then Folau has said that Jesus means more to him than even his friends or family so there is no room in his mind for an even discussion.

You are nit-picking. But to unpick your nits. . . 

My "fair and frank exchange of views" was made in reply to a Forum member's posting to underline the fact that anybody who felt offended by Folau's tweet could respond accordingly, via social media, as many did. 

If you are unconvinced that white, straight males are the new pariahs of society, simply Google "hatred of white males" and read some of the being mud slung at us from all directions.

It is not only acceptable but wise to "turn the other cheek" to most insults. People who use insult to injure can usually stand anything except being ignored. Race or sex or irrelevant in this context and should be in all other areas of an equal society.

We'll have to beg to differ on the origin and purpose of those "phobia" words. They can be used to denote prejudice and bigotry, but all too often, like "hate speech",  are used to stifle any criticism of the most vocal minorities.

All forms of communication affect people's thought processes. By banning contrarian viewpoints social media platforms like Facebook and Twitter can easily influence public attitudes to important issues.  

There may be more platforms available then ever before. However, free speech which fails to toe the official line all too often results in individuals being  de-platformed, particularly  conservative and right-wing voices. 

2 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

You are nit-picking. But to unpick your nits. . . 

My "fair and frank exchange of views" was made in reply to a Forum member's posting to underline the fact that anybody who felt offended by Folau's tweet could respond accordingly, via social media, as many did. 

If you are unconvinced that white, straight males are the new pariahs of society, simply Google "hatred of white males" and read some of the being mud slung at us from all directions.

It is not only acceptable but wise to "turn the other cheek" to most insults. People who use insult to injure can usually stand anything except being ignored. Race or sex or irrelevant in this context and should be in all other areas of an equal society.

We'll have to beg to differ on the origin and purpose of those "phobia" words. They can be used to denote prejudice and bigotry, but all too often, like "hate speech",  are used to stifle any criticism of the most vocal minorities.

All forms of communication affect people's thought processes. By banning contrarian viewpoints social media platforms like Facebook and Twitter can easily influence public attitudes to important issues.  

There may be more platforms available then ever before. However, free speech which fails to toe the official line all too often results in individuals being  de-platformed, particularly  conservative and right-wing voices. 

You asked me to respond to your points and I did. That's hardly nit-picking. 

Yes, I've seen some of Folau's exchanges. They might be frank but they're hardly fair. Basically he just re-iterates that gays are going to hell purely for existing.  (see below)

I'm well aware of misandry. Even gays get that but I'm sorry it's not even on the scale that black people, women and gays have to endure. It's not even close. 

Turning the other cheek  is o.k. on occasion but often when someone gets away with insults and humiliation they feel emboldened and do it even more.  That's certainly true with gay insults.

I agree that homophobia has become somewhat of a catch-all word but generally people mean it to be prejudice or discrimination towards gays.

I'm not in favour of de-platforming but again I'm not sure how this works in colleges and the like so I shouldn't comment. 

52694.jpg

5 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Folau can earn money elsewhere, such as Brunei where his views are in tune with the sharia law.

His money is highly relevant, as it makes him a high profile sportsman. He's just too stupid to keep his mouth shut. And yes, I think he would be in the same leaky boat as far as Rugby Australia is concerned if he was a Muslim saying the same things publicly.

The  concept of original sin is unique to Christianity. Acceptance of the dogma a new-born baby starts sinning as soon as it greets the world is further evidence of the mental absurdity of people such as Folau.

It's regressive when hatred and intolerance  is tolerated in the name of free speech.. Are you sure you would not be more comfortable back in the days of the British Raj?

You are entitled to deplore this man’s adherence to religious beliefs which you and others (including myself, as it happens) find abhorrent.

However, he should have as much right to express them as you have to express yours - provided that in the process, the law is not contravened.

Hatred and intolerance need to be ventilated and dispersed by the oxygen of  free speech and open honest civil discourse.  When, as now under pressure from the "progressive" left, these twin pillars of democracy begin to crumble, society is on the slippery slope to totalitarianism.

5 minutes ago, Baht Simpson said:

You asked me to respond to your points and I did. That's hardly nit-picking. 

Yes, I've seen some of Folau's exchanges. They might be frank but they're hardly fair. Basically he just re-iterates that gays are going to hell purely for existing.  (see below)

I'm well aware of misandry. Even gays get that but I'm sorry it's not even on the scale that black people, women and gays have to endure. It's not even close. 

Turning the other cheek  is o.k. on occasion but often when someone gets away with insults and humiliation they feel emboldened and do it even more.  That's certainly true with gay insults.

I agree that homophobia has become somewhat of a catch-all word but generally people mean it to be prejudice or discrimination towards gays.

I'm not in favour of de-platforming but again I'm not sure how this works in colleges and the like so I shouldn't comment. 

52694.jpg

Whatever. But. . .

I simply don't recognise your depiction of homosexuals as downtrodden, vilified victims of a prejudiced society- at least certainly not in the UK where I come from.

The gay guys I know back home are pretty with-it, rounded and grounded individuals happy to live somewhere where they have the same rights as heteros, including marrying and adopting children.

I cannot imagine any of them having an attack of the vapours over Mr Folau's tweet of what his religion reckons will be their eventual fate. If any antipodean gays ended up crying into their cans of frosty, my gut reaction is to tell them to grow a pair.

53 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

Whatever. But. . .

I simply don't recognise your depiction of homosexuals as downtrodden, vilified victims of a prejudiced society- at least certainly not in the UK where I come from.

The gay guys I know back home are pretty with-it, rounded and grounded individuals happy to live somewhere where they have the same rights as heteros, including marrying and adopting children.

I cannot imagine any of them having an attack of the vapours over Mr Folau's tweet of what his religion reckons will be their eventual fate. If any antipodean gays ended up crying into their cans of frosty, my gut reaction is to tell them to grow a pair.

"I simply don't recognise your depiction of homosexuals as downtrodden, vilified victims of a prejudiced society- at least certainly not in the UK where I come from."

I never said that. Where did you get that from?

"The gay guys I know back home are pretty with-it, rounded and grounded individuals happy to live somewhere where they have the same rights as heteros, including marrying and adopting children."

Well good for them. I'm from the U.K. too by the way.

"I cannot imagine any of them having an attack of the vapours over Mr Folau's tweet of what his religion reckons will be their eventual fate."

Who's getting the vapours? I thought we were just discussing the merits or not of Mr. Folau's remarks.

Anyway, I've enjoyed this discussion. I know it's a hard life being a straight, white privileged male but try to keep your spirits up. ????

Cheers Krataiboy

10 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

To be polite you would describe her as mutton dressed up as lamb. To be impolite it would be lipstick on a pig.

I fail to see what her physical appearance has to do with competence

Seems men fail to comment on other men's appearances, but find it very comfortable to critique women in positions of power.

It is the 21st century, I invite you to join it, and relook at you values,

Also check the mirror while you are at it,

6 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

You are entitled to deplore this man’s adherence to religious beliefs which you and others (including myself, as it happens) find abhorrent.

However, he should have as much right to express them as you have to express yours - provided that in the process, the law is not contravened.

Hatred and intolerance need to be ventilated and dispersed by the oxygen of  free speech and open honest civil discourse.  When, as now under pressure from the "progressive" left, these twin pillars of democracy begin to crumble, society is on the slippery slope to totalitarianism.

He has a right to express them. He has no right to express them under a lucrative contract which expressly prohibits such views. As I said before, he can do it on his own dime.

If you refer to the election results of yesterday in Australia, you'll find the progressive left didn't do too well. Which IMHO is a shame, because the majority of Australians squibbed a couple of moral challenges in their decision.

5 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

He has a right to express them. He has no right to express them under a lucrative contract which expressly prohibits such views. As I said before, he can do it on his own dime.

If you refer to the election results of yesterday in Australia, you'll find the progressive left didn't do too well. Which IMHO is a shame, because the majority of Australians squibbed a couple of moral challenges in their decision.

Just on the election result, Palmer and his scare campaign, spending and lining the pockets of R Murdoch, bought the election for the LNP, especially in Queensland

1 minute ago, RJRS1301 said:

Just on the election result, Palmer and his scare campaign, spending and lining the pockets of R Murdoch, bought the election for the LNP, especially in Queensland

What's the betting they will now bring forward their religious freedom legislation that would specifically allow Folau to make those sort of comments?

2 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

What's the betting they will now bring forward their religious freedom legislation that would specifically allow Folau to make those sort of comments?

Yes the full report sits unreleased, and has not been mentioned to my knowledge, for many months. there is already religious freedom, why do they require more??

ScoMo will be off from Kirribilli House this morning joining the happy clappers no doubt.

19 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

He will no doubt get a top job in Brunei - if rugby is played there!

Marine le Pen has suggested they expedite his application from French citizenship, she will make deputy leader of her Nazi party. Maybe he could also save French rugby from the forthcoming total disaster.

1 minute ago, KiChakayan said:

Marine le Pen has suggested they expedite his application from French citizenship, she will make deputy leader of her Nazi party and maybe save French rugby from the forthcoming total disaster.

French Rugby clearly stated several weeks ago there was no place for him in their game

3 minutes ago, KiChakayan said:

Marine le Pen has suggested they expedite his application from French citizenship,

Interestingly Le Pen has a significant gay following from people who feel threatened by militant Islam in France

20 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

Interestingly Le Pen has a significant gay following from people who feel threatened by militant Islam in France

Yes Hanson P had a significant LGBT following in Australia as well, one has to wonder sometimes

Archived