road safety in Thailand

I'm tired of hearing about kids being crippled and killed in the land of smiles.  This is something that is a black mark up against such a fine country.

We can do something about it besides personally gearing up with appropriate protective equipment and driving responsibly.  

We can bring it to the forefront and confront it "head on" so to speak.

If you have photos or statistical information or real life stories about situations here that you can share to help bring this subject the attention it deserves,  we may be able to gain ground on it.

Any video or content that shows safety gear doing what it was designed to do would be appreciated and welcomed.

there is a fb page that was started to do so.   road safetyinthailand

Please add it and share it so that we can bring this situation to the forefront.

Strictly my opinion but Thais aren't interested in the concept of "we", as it relates to their country and outside help. You have used the word "we" 4 times in your post.

"We' are nobodies in the eyes of most Thais. For whatever reason, they generally don't want outside help of any kind.

I laud you for trying but get ready for the backwash.

There is money in safety though.   Reduced expenditure in human suffering and loss of life first and foremost.

money in sales of protective gear.

money in collected revenue from fines levied via enforecement of compliance with appropriate safety measures.

The folks that have been lost from accidents were contributors here.  They had families, and jobs etc. They had influence and importance to those left behind.

There is value to human life.  

Far beyond monetary value.

That whole drama of the kids trapped in the cave is an example.

The country pulled together,  and outsiders of the Kingdom also lent a hand.

those boys that were saved were saved because human life has value.

It is unfathomable that the same folks that went to such lenghts to save those kids wouldn't go to the lenghts of simply putting on a helmet, hanging up the cell phone and riding right when running errands on a bike.

Of course common sense can not be legislated,  but perhaps appropriate value to life and the wellbeing of others could be better than it is.

45 minutes ago, samuttodd said:

there is a fb page that was started to do so.   road safetyinthailand

If it's a falangs page it'll never work, Thais don't take any advice from a foreigner. You can try to "disguise" it as a Thai FB page, but even that is unlikely to make any difference. 

That said, it's great to highlight the risks to warn tourists.

A few weeks ago a female friend of mine got a ticket for driving without a license. She is in her mid 30s. I said I'll pay for your license if you go and get it. She got her medical certificate and then she had to go to school at the DLT. from 8-430. Now she has to go back and take the tests. I think Thailand might be getting a little more serious about road safety but it will take time.

why ??? that is the question.....no one can educate thais to be "good" drivers.

Your udea is a complete wasts of time

safety on roads MUST START in schools at a very young age.

Parents should be educating kids 

Having said this WHO educated the parents??

I think your banging your head against a brick wall.....

Why BOTHER ???

1 minute ago, essox essox said:

why ??? that is the question.....no one can educate thais to be "good" drivers.

Your udea is a complete wasts of time

safety on roads MUST START in schools at a very young age.

Parents should be educating kids 

Having said this WHO educated the parents??

I think your banging your head against a brick wall.....

Why BOTHER ???

I' guess I'll bang my head... Least I'll have a helmet on.

Just now, jmd8800 said:

A few weeks ago a female friend of mine got a ticket for driving without a license. She is in her mid 30s. I said I'll pay for your license if you go and get it. She got her medical certificate and then she had to go to school at the DLT. from 8-430. Now she has to go back and take the tests. I think Thailand might be getting a little more serious about road safety but it will take time.

it will take an  AGE!!! and will be a complete waste of time...thais do not want/never listen to advice on laws of the road/ road safety

not trying will not help. 

Somebody mentioned that there was a push to make people drive like the japanese... The driving there is not the point.   The culture is.

The japanese value others more than self.   They consider others feelings and comfort more than that of themselves.   It is a cultural difference,  and to change cultures is not realistic.

Changing safety practices can be done.   Just look at the advancements in safety gear in automobiles in the last 40 years.   Airbags, antilock brakes, multipoint seatbelts.   Those things save lives and because they come as part of the equipment,  are no brainers to employ.

5 minutes ago, samuttodd said:

not trying will not help. 

Somebody mentioned that there was a push to make people drive like the japanese... The driving there is not the point.   The culture is.

The japanese value others more than self.   They consider others feelings and comfort more than that of themselves.   It is a cultural difference,  and to change cultures is not realistic.

Changing safety practices can be done.   Just look at the advancements in safety gear in automobiles in the last 40 years.   Airbags, antilock brakes, multipoint seatbelts.   Those things save lives.

agree but also vehicles can go faster. Speed causes many deaths....

I know it is controversial, but I strongly believe that Thais getting their new cars and motorcycles blessed by monks plays a huge part in the country's poor safety record. If people actually believe that they are protected by some sort of divine intervention, then what hope is there?  

Just now, Dmaxdan said:

I know it is controversial, but I strongly believe that Thais getting their new cars and motorcycles blessed by monks plays a huge part in the country's poor safety record. If people actually believe that they are protected by some sort of divine intervention, then what hope is there?  

no hope whatsoever.....

Its a persons BRAIN that decides what one does on any roads, anywhere anytime.....

5 minutes ago, samuttodd said:

You guys are a calloused lot.  

We are realistic! No disrespect meant but you seem to be naïve to the culture of Thailand.

I repeat from my original post, "I laud your efforts".

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

If you would like to pay your taxes here to pay for extra government services and education I am sure it would be appreciated.

Actually, it isn't. ????

I tried to pay additional taxes on xtra money earned at my Uni paid in cash and was told 'No.'  I had to stick with the declaration the Uni printed out.

Strange, eh!

It's not rocket science. 75 - 80% of road fatalities here are on two wheels. At a rough guess, 90% of said deaths occur because the rider was not wearing a decent helmet.

Two solutions. Subsidise good quality helmets, instead of buying tanks, submarines and helicopters. Compel helmet shops to junk their stock of sub-standard helmets.

Don't fine people for not wearing a helmet. Impound the bike/scooter for a month. Two months for a second offence. Three strikes is out, the bike is confiscated.

The Thais worked very hard to make their roadways some of the most dangerous in the world.  Don't think for one moment they will be willing to give up this legacy laying down.

This effort to make Thailand, a safe country to drive in is an example of why Thai Immigration is trying to rid Thailand, of western retirees.  The westerners have way too much time on their hands, and have crazy ideas like free speech, safety regulations, effective law enforcement, and anti-corruption watchdogs breathing down the necks of a corrupt Thai government.

Don't look now but the western retirees are already on the endangered list and in a few years will be extinct. ????

1 hour ago, samuttodd said:

You guys are a calloused lot.  

It's interesting that you care. Perhaps you have a kind heart. 

I can no longer bring myself to care at all for people who secretly or openly despise me because of where I was born. 

I worry about me, my immediately family in Thailand, and a handful of friends. Why would I waste time worrying about Thais? 

Let them worry after themselves while I try not to let them run me down. 

2 hours ago, samuttodd said:

Please add it and share it so that we can bring this situation to the forefront.

Wouldn't do any good Thai do not like being told what to do by others or farangies.

2 hours ago, samuttodd said:

it is a drag that the thread is here to begin with

Well it will be added into the many threads that have already been done to death (excuse the pun) on road safety in Thailand.

3 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

If you would like to pay your taxes here to pay for extra government services and education I am sure it would be appreciated.

Or lets ALL start a Gofund for safer Thai roads, then send ALL the money in for education and pay our taxes... Hows that?  Who wants to be first. I'll donate.

5 minutes ago, mike787 said:

Or lets ALL start a Gofund for safer Thai roads, then send ALL the money in for education and pay our taxes... Hows that?  Who wants to be first. I'll donate.

Or, we could just stuff all the raised money directly into some already rich Thai-Chinese guy's pockets. 

Same outcome either way 

Archived