road safety in Thailand

3 hours ago, samuttodd said:

There is money in safety though.   Reduced expenditure in human suffering and loss of life first and foremost.

money in sales of protective gear.

money in collected revenue from fines levied via enforecement of compliance with appropriate safety measures.

The folks that have been lost from accidents were contributors here.  They had families, and jobs etc. They had influence and importance to those left behind.

There is value to human life.  

Far beyond monetary value.

That whole drama of the kids trapped in the cave is an example.

The country pulled together,  and outsiders of the Kingdom also lent a hand.

those boys that were saved were saved because human life has value.

It is unfathomable that the same folks that went to such lenghts to save those kids wouldn't go to the lenghts of simply putting on a helmet, hanging up the cell phone and riding right when running errands on a bike.

Of course common sense can not be legislated,  but perhaps appropriate value to life and the wellbeing of others could be better than it is.

Thai folk are not interested in your suggestions...Same as the BiB.....

If they were, underage kids going to school on a m/cycle with no crash hat would have been sorted....

4 hours ago, samuttodd said:

There is money in safety though.   Reduced expenditure in human suffering and loss of life first and foremost.

money in sales of protective gear.

money in collected revenue from fines levied via enforecement of compliance with appropriate safety measures.

The folks that have been lost from accidents were contributors here.  They had families, and jobs etc. They had influence and importance to those left behind.

There is value to human life.  

Far beyond monetary value.

That whole drama of the kids trapped in the cave is an example.

The country pulled together,  and outsiders of the Kingdom also lent a hand.

those boys that were saved were saved because human life has value.

It is unfathomable that the same folks that went to such lenghts to save those kids wouldn't go to the lenghts of simply putting on a helmet, hanging up the cell phone and riding right when running errands on a bike.

Of course common sense can not be legislated,  but perhaps appropriate value to life and the wellbeing of others could be better than it is.

Read between the lines. I'm referring to brown envelope money. Bringing logic & common sense into the issue, as you have elected to do, is like water off a duck's back to Thais.

Until you can teach Thais to obey rules and use common sense then you're on a non starter. I've been trying to get my stepdaughter to get lighter windows in her car, because it's difficult to see through them at night, to no avail. My wife takes her side saying "It's normal for Thais". I'm peeing against the wind, you just can't help some people. 

On Monday you clean the beach. 

Tuesday teach English for free. 

Wednesday is plastic-bag-free-day. 

Thursday you feed the Soi-Dogs. 

Friday is climate-change-protest. 

Saturday you help in orphanage. 

On Sunday you singing in church. 

Are you really so bored? 

On 5/18/2019 at 8:53 AM, samuttodd said:

not trying will not help. 

Somebody mentioned that there was a push to make people drive like the japanese... The driving there is not the point.   The culture is.

The japanese value others more than self.   They consider others feelings and comfort more than that of themselves.   It is a cultural difference,  and to change cultures is not realistic.

Changing safety practices can be done.   Just look at the advancements in safety gear in automobiles in the last 40 years.   Airbags, antilock brakes, multipoint seatbelts.   Those things save lives and because they come as part of the equipment,  are no brainers to employ.

The governance here presently is more reactive than proactive which is a major problem when you're talking safety. IMO driving while impaired is the biggest safety issue here on Thai roads with Thais and foreigners both breaking this law with basic impunity. Personally like to see a minimum 1st offence sentence of 1 year in prison with foreigners deported for life.

Is there a reason foreigners here are so interested in the safety of locals on the road. Is anyone worried about the standard of driving in India or Pakistan or Nigeria or....and the plight of locals there.

Is it cultural imperialism? 

I don't want to curb your obvious enthusiasm but unfortunately you are flogging a dead horse when it comes to road safety here, particularly motorcycles.

How many times have you seen the following:

No helmets.

No lights.

No licence.

No tax.

No insurance.

more than 3 on a bike.

Riding the wrong way (against the traffic flow).

Underage riders.

Riding on the pavement, and probably many more I have omitted.

Even if you were the richest person in the world and bought each and every person a real (Kite mark or equivalent) helmet, or had a roadside stall giving away and fitting free light bulbs they wouldn't bother. It isn't in their psyche, 

When they are racing along the 4 kilometre stretch of dead straight road outside our house with no helmet or visor do you think that they consciously give any thought as to what may happen if a bug of some sort hits them in the eye or face? NO. Do you think that they give any thought to whether a cat or dog is gonna run under their wheels? NO.

They just cannot think that way.

Save yourself from some sleepless nights worrying about this and find something else to contribute to, like an orphanage or something.

Just my 2 penneth worth.   

Parents educating kids? You mean like allowing 3 kids no helmets and all under 15 riding to school.....

get real.....there is either no understanding or belief in the cause effect equation... 

26k die every year....and all they have are 7 dangerous day slogans and campaigns with check points that have nothing to do with enforcing road safety and how to drive....

5.3 million baht in unpaid fines last major holiday and we’re there any for running a red light or passing on a double solid line?

the unpaid fines tells you they just don’t buy into the regulatory- enforcement thing.... it has no meaning to them so not taken seriously....there’s no fear of non compliance...

On 5/18/2019 at 8:30 AM, samuttodd said:

It seems it would be very easy to enforce underage children from riding motos but for some reason very little is being done. I saw 

a little guy had to stand (fina type) to reach the handle bars. 

I dont know what the thinking is about this. First of all don’t leave the keys in the moto. Wife bought seems like a used 50cc for MNL

she’s been riding a bicycle selling vegetables from her garden everyday. 

Asked the relatives if we wanted to make a friendly wager (no money) if the 10 year old would talk grandma into driving it. 

One day after it was here the keys were left in and he was trying 

to start it... it didn’t figure out it’s a kick start.

very unsafe 

I think the best thing that foreigners in Thailand can do is set a good example.

I try to drive sensibly, talk to Thais on motorbikes at the lights. Let them know I think safety is a big issue and that we all have a responsibility.  Have my kids in helmets. Smile absurdly at people with kids not in helmets. 

I believe that you don't have to be Thai to make a difference, in fact being a foreigner sometimes helps. 

I will not be silent on it. And I know my colleagues at TV want to keep the issue at the front of the news. Yes, we get lots of clicks on the accident and "what to do about the accidents" stories. But keeping them in the public eye - in this case the tourists and expat public - is a good public service. 

It's up to all people at grass roots to effect change. The leaders in Thailand will do little without it.

Rooster

On 5/18/2019 at 8:46 AM, jmd8800 said:

A few weeks ago a female friend of mine got a ticket for driving without a license. She is in her mid 30s. I said I'll pay for your license if you go and get it. She got her medical certificate and then she had to go to school at the DLT. from 8-430. Now she has to go back and take the tests. I think Thailand might be getting a little more serious about road safety but it will take time.

They will not start to get serious until they change the joke driving test. Three simple off road manoeuvres is not a driving test. Driving tests are driving on the roads, not at what passes for a test centre with no other cars around. Stopping at a white line and driving in and out of a few cones is a recipe for the slaughter they have today, mostly avoidable but they just can't be bothered.

On 5/18/2019 at 2:52 AM, samuttodd said:

there is a fb page that was started to do so.   road safetyinthailand

My fb-search cannot find any page "road safetyinthailand", there is however a fb-page called "safetyinthailand".

Anyway, something similar have been tried before locally, where I live, both a facebook page, and a group of locals, but only foreigners, all long-stayers or expats. I was member, as I of interest showed up at first published meeting. Even we got covered by the local English language media, it had no effect at all, apart from some shared images on Facebook of accidents they passed. Some of the members had plenty of ideas, but the ideas never materialized.

Another similar group also tried it about the same time – we didn't know about each other – and got some few English language posters about safety up by the side of a main road, but they disappeared again, and nothing else had been heard from that group.

You need to get local Thais, preferably officials or politicians, involved.

On 5/17/2019 at 6:25 PM, neeray said:

Strictly my opinion but Thais aren't interested in the concept of "we", as it relates to their country and outside help. You have used the word "we" 4 times in your post.

"We' are nobodies in the eyes of most Thais. For whatever reason, they generally don't want outside help of any kind.

I laud you for trying but get ready for the backwash.

The answer has always been available to them this isn't rocket science like a drug addict you can't help someone who doesn't or unwilling to be helped.

It's like the pig farmer who had a family of Muslims move in next door who then demanded the farmer stop raising pigs. When in Rome, do like the Romans do. Don't try to turn Rome into another country. If ya don't like it, no one is requiring you stay.

1 minute ago, quandow said:

I doubt he'd be raising such a fuss if he didn't live in Thailand.

Why not ? There are do-gooders all over the world who think them jumping up and down on their soapbox will persuade other countries and/or people to change their philosophies to their own way of thinking.  Don't see many do-gooders wanting N Korea to change actually living in N Korea or activists wanting the Saudis to be ostracized as punishment for committing murders in foreign lands living in Saudi.

Thais do what they want. Accidents are daily in the news but nobody is interested. No police on the streets, so no law enforcement. I see daily motorcycle drivers with the helmet under the arm or in the basket, also I see daily kids on motorcycles. What will you teach them? The government is not interested, so why should I? 

I don´t know from which country you are, but be sure that when there would be no law enforcement the people would do the same what the Thais do - what they want.

On 5/18/2019 at 7:52 AM, samuttodd said:

This is something that is a black mark up against such a fine country.

Thais drive the way they actually feel but can't express themselves at any other time except behind the wheel.

Selfish and arrogant. 

6 hours ago, watcharacters said:

Not a member of Facebook.     Don't want to be such easy prey for the NSA.

You don't need to be a "member" or log-in to read a public group on Facebook – you should however check it, before you reply...????

Archived