Court seizes 897m baht from former secretary of disgraced commerce minister Boonsong

rooster59

He was accused of being unusually rich by the National Anti-Corruption Commission and his case was brought before the Supreme Court by state prosecutors who demanded the seizure of his allegedly ill-gotten gains.

Is that really a chargeable offense in Thailand?  I often wonder how many of the police and military officers could withstand such scrutiny of their finances?

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Unusually rich? That's an understatement. How the hell does a government servant accumulate 897 million baht without anyone noticing after the first 50 million?

No checks & balances, no transparency, free-for-all.. the list is endless and unfortunately endemic!

8 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Now, if we started seeing these kinds of arrests and convictions of CURRENT army officers, and high ranking policemen, governors, and mayors, then it might lead us to believe the army is sincere, in their constant declarations in regard to the fight against corruption. But, do you notice that anyone who they go after is always a former, and never a current official?

Just declare the money came from a dead friend who left it to you, works for others in government.

10 hours ago, neeray said:

This is great news, "seizure of his allegedly ill-gotten gains". Now if only the other thousands of overtly rich civil servants, generals, police-franchise-holders and similar ilk received the same treatment, I'd say that there is a spark of hope for Thailand.

And of course there should be NO EXCEPTIONS. No person should be above the law !

I will WATCH for future seizures.

If they did, the budget would be in surplus for years

9 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I can't imagine anyone being stupid enough to keep the money in Thailand.

Frequent foreign holidays with a suitcase of cash or gold, and the temptation to grab would have been gone.

Of course the 900 million might have just been their loose change 'walking around money'.

Cash and gold with rayon x airport ? Bath is not convertible out Thailand.

2 minutes ago, ICELANDMAN said:

Cash and gold with rayon x airport ? Bath is not convertible out Thailand.

I always take 20Kbht when I go on holiday to Vietnam and Cambodia, no problem changing it.

In Cambodia all the banks are happy to open Baht or USD accounts for you, interest rates around 8%.

Laos and Burma, also happy to accept Thai baht in payment.

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I always take 20Kbht when I go on holiday to Vietnam and Cambodia, no problem changing it.

In Cambodia all the banks are happy to open Baht or USD accounts for you, interest rates around 8%.

Thailand Bank also very happy open USD EURO YEN accounts but the money have to stay country not out same Vietnam and Cambodia. But you are lucky man with your 20 k bath you not have problems export same this poor former minister with 900 m or more ????

On 5/18/2019 at 8:37 AM, neeray said:

This is great news, "seizure of his allegedly ill-gotten gains". Now if only the other thousands of overtly rich civil servants, generals, police-franchise-holders and similar ilk received the same treatment, I'd say that there is a spark of hope for Thailand.

And of course there should be NO EXCEPTIONS. No person should be above the law !

I will WATCH for future seizures.

Keep dreaming????

4 hours ago, the guest said:

How many other officials have money stashed-away? 

Almost all of them, he should have said he borrowed it all from a friend who then (conveniently) died. He is only disgraced because he got caught, just a little bit too greedy.

Archived