Drainage farmland!

Costs a fortune. I looked at some, around 300 x 300 and they wanted B1,300 per metre.

Or concrete bottom and block sides, which is what I'm going to do....but only 200m in length.

Try that PVC liner (your other topic) PS interesting project, good luck with it.

12 hours ago, grollies said:

Costs a fortune. I looked at some, around 300 x 300 and they wanted B1,300 per metre.

Or concrete bottom and block sides, which is what I'm going to do....but only 200m in length.

Try that PVC liner (your other topic) PS interesting project, good luck with it.

Thank you, yes indeed interesting, and especially when the thais just look at you, and wonder why we buy so many tanks, and looking at the ditches, that not going to last, and also digg out more land. Well,  ????

We will se in the end, when finished everything, how it turns out. I know from when I was a kid, and was rised on a farm, it was hard work, and aiming for the resoults in the long term, not short term. That is what I tell my gf now, that we might fail one time and two times, but we will make it right in the end. One tree out of 150 is not looking to good, but the rest even got new leaf, so far so good. And when we have all water in place, we will try different vegetables. Tomatos is nr 1 in my list, but I understand they do not eat that much locally here yet. 

The main problem, is to find what you need, and when you find what you need, the quality is quite bad unfortenly. Ship shit cost alot of money in the long term. 

4AA85BA8-8245-4EE2-941E-19811D20A7F9.jpeg

FCBBA2EA-4DD0-42A4-9963-5C9F5663BB70.jpeg

Can I ask a question? why don't you just dig a pond ,you would have to line it ,that sand land will not hold water well ,then just use an pump and sprinklers .that is what we do for the garden if the wife puts in any new trees we just take a spur  off the main and put a sprinkler in 

Looking at your photos, you have got your system in place but as I see it you still have to get the water to the plants all those tanks around here one tank about 2700 baht, they have got to be filled up .mains water. Don't know your set up dig a pond near a building, house? roof water will help fill the pond,

One thing, they are a thread running the OP asked about coupling for those water tanks, I have looked at a few they all have a very coarse thread, not a normal tread difficult to find couplings, but I see you have used the normal PVC couplings, are  your tanks different or have  you found a way ,of attaching the PVC couplings. 

17 minutes ago, kickstart said:

Can I ask a question? why don't you just dig a pond ,you would have to line it ,that sand land will not hold water well ,then just use an pump and sprinklers .that is what we do for the garden if the wife puts in any new trees we just take a spur  off the main and put a sprinkler in 

Looking at your photos, you have got your system in place but as I see it you still have to get the water to the plants all those tanks around here one tank about 2700 baht, they have got to be filled up .mains water. Don't know your set up dig a pond near a building, house? roof water will help fill the pond,

One thing, they are a thread running the OP asked about coupling for those water tanks, I have looked at a few they all have a very coarse thread, not a normal tread difficult to find couplings, but I see you have used the normal PVC couplings, are  your tanks different or have  you found a way ,of attaching the PVC couplings. 

We are digging a pond, so all is going to come together, but Im not sure we will make a liner in it before the rain sets in. If not, we will cement the whole thing, as we will do with the dikes when the dry season starts, after the rice is cut. First then we can get machine and truck in to the land. 

The tanks have different treads, but I use a normal pvc coupling 2 inch, and force them on with silicon. I will try that and se how they perform over time, but so far working good. 

08D8FBEE-5E84-45C6-8F82-AED9DDEE497C.jpeg

7 hours ago, Tagged said:

We are digging a pond, so all is going to come together, but Im not sure we will make a liner in it before the rain sets in. If not, we will cement the whole thing, as we will do with the dikes when the dry season starts, after the rice is cut. First then we can get machine and truck in to the land. 

The tanks have different treads, but I use a normal pvc coupling 2 inch, and force them on with silicon. I will try that and se how they perform over time, but so far working good. 

You're digging that pond by hand? Wow. A large backhoe would set you back B14,000 and dig it in half an hour. A small backhoe would cost around B5,000 and do it in a couple of hours.

Gotta be cheaper than a couple of labourers taking two weeks plus the excavator could have done your drainage channels in the same day.

31 minutes ago, grollies said:

You're digging that pond by hand? Wow. A large backhoe would set you back B14,000 and dig it in half an hour. A small backhoe would cost around B5,000 and do it in a couple of hours.

Gotta be cheaper than a couple of labourers taking two weeks plus the excavator could have done your drainage channels in the same day.

Well, I know, the idea was to have a borhole by now, before the rice was planted, but of different reasons we did not make it this year. 

Then we got the trees in the ground when the first big rain arrived, we thought we would be good for the summer until we got back from europe. Father and mother take care, but then we start worrying about a dry summer, well basically me, worrying, and the days have past and the rain never really started. The last week have been dry. Thats why it have escalated in to this primitiv project it have become ????

The guy started out with 100 baht pr cubic, but now rised his demand to 150. Totally we have to pay around 10K for the ditches and pond, + our work as well, but so far satisfying, and will make me and my gf more connected to the land I feel by hard work. 

It is all a learning projet for me, and I really enjoy it so far, and just adopt to the heat took me some time. 

After they cut rice, we will make it right with machine and cement. 

11 hours ago, Tagged said:

Well, I know, the idea was to have a borhole by now, before the rice was planted, but of different reasons we did not make it this year. 

Then we got the trees in the ground when the first big rain arrived, we thought we would be good for the summer until we got back from europe. Father and mother take care, but then we start worrying about a dry summer, well basically me, worrying, and the days have past and the rain never really started. The last week have been dry. Thats why it have escalated in to this primitiv project it have become ????

The guy started out with 100 baht pr cubic, but now rised his demand to 150. Totally we have to pay around 10K for the ditches and pond, + our work as well, but so far satisfying, and will make me and my gf more connected to the land I feel by hard work. 

It is all a learning projet for me, and I really enjoy it so far, and just adopt to the heat took me some time. 

After they cut rice, we will make it right with machine and cement. 

I'm with you on the rain. End of May and only a couple of showers all month. It keeps threatening with black clouds, thunder and wind, then just a spatter. El Nino year this year.

When they drill the borehole you'll get a good idea of where the water table is. Don't skimp on your pump, go submersible and get the biggest Franklin or similar you can. Also get the water tested, your local Ampur can tell you where. I love borehole water supplies, I've got three! ???? One hand-dug and unused, two drilled, one 18m for house and garden, the second for the chicken farm 70m deep.

Have fun, after all, that's what life's all about.

13 minutes ago, grollies said:

I'm with you on the rain. End of May and only a couple of showers all month. It keeps threatening with black clouds, thunder and wind, then just a spatter. El Nino year this year.

When they drill the borehole you'll get a good idea of where the water table is. Don't skimp on your pump, go submersible and get the biggest Franklin or similar you can. Also get the water tested, your local Ampur can tell you where. I love borehole water supplies, I've got three! ???? One hand-dug and unused, two drilled, one 18m for house and garden, the second for the chicken farm 70m deep.

Have fun, after all, that's what life's all about.

Well, we will make this small pond for this year, and now decided to try using clay to seal the pond. Next year after this years experience with collecting the water, we will know how much coming down from the jungle to our land, and about how much we can save every shower. Im still fan of water in those cubes as reserve. Then we can make a decission on a borehole or not. 

And at this very moment the rain start again. I hope it will last for a few days now. It was really dry and hot today. Very hot. 

On 5/19/2019 at 9:26 PM, Tagged said:

Looking at that pond and the land it has to water it should be at least 5-6 times bigger, to allow for usage and evaporation ,our pond is an old fish pond, November last year it was full ,now just sludge in the bottom, Ok this year we have had very little rain, we pump water with  just a 1 HP electric pump in to 1 inch main  pipes then in  to 1/2-3/4 inch pipes for the sprinklers, not a big system ,but as I said our pond is now all but empty,I would say over the past 2 months  evaporation was more of a problem . 

As Grollies said get a backhoe in, and 1-2  10 wheel trucks to take the soil away, some backhoes and trucks work as a team and they sell the soil on so reducing your costs. 

28 minutes ago, kickstart said:

Looking at that pond and the land it has to water it should be at least 5-6 times bigger, to allow for usage and evaporation ,our pond is an old fish pond, November last year it was full ,now just sludge in the bottom, Ok this year we have had very little rain, we pump water with  just a 1 HP electric pump in to 1 inch main  pipes then in  to 1/2-3/4 inch pipes for the sprinklers, not a big system ,but as I said our pond is now all but empty,I would say over the past 2 months  evaporation was more of a problem . 

As Grollies said get a backhoe in, and 1-2  10 wheel trucks to take the soil away, some backhoes and trucks work as a team and they sell the soil on so reducing your costs. 

Well, we will make the pond 3 times bigger after they cut the rice, so no big problem, and now for every time the pond is full, we pump the water inn to our cubes, and saves it, and when to little in pond, we get ampur to deliver. I have rigged a 150 meter hose trough the forrest from the closest road, so we will be good. 

Archived