No alcohol sales all day today: Jail for lawbreakers

rooster59

2 hours ago, mike787 said:

What the heck is wrong with Thailand: drink = jail, mandatory health insurance, Visa restrictions, 800/400K in the bank, motorcycle deaths, foreigners committing suicides, stabbings, sheer idiocy here...people have gone mad!  And they call this paradise?  At what COST?  Is home country that bad, that this place looks like heaven? Looks worse than hell...

You having a bad day Mike? 

Maybe you could down a cold one mate ????

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Happy Grumpy said:

It isn't a ban on toilet cleaning products.

Nowt wrong with Sangsom , better then the revolting Thai whiskey and better than that crud called Chang.  Good job I have some Sangsom left as my local off licence is closed today so tonight Sangsom with ice and orange .

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Not holier than thou, I enjoy a whisky or two myself on weekends. Just can't understand how people get so dependent on alcohol as a crutch they can't do without it for a single day, or can't plan ahead to have supply beforehand.

Well your post referred to alcoholics and not being able to do a day without alcohol. That is why I said the holier than thou bit.

You post does not consider other factors like people being on holiday, something they may have saved for all year not being able to go for a social drink. In fact they may not be able to go out at all as many places will not open.

I like to watch football on a bar / pub and tonight it is the FA cup final. This restriction does limit the choice to do that.

I accept that this is the law. I don't particularly like it but that will make no difference, the law is the law but I am too old and boring to go out and try and hide my beer in a coffee mug. You class me as an alcoholic assuming I can't go a day without alcohol because I would prefer the restriction did not exist. You may think I am alcoholic, I think that argument is flawed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

What about all the people who will lose their livelihood for that day?

Er - isn't it supposed to be a holiday? Do liquor sellers here get annual leave? Probably not; however, 6 days mandated annual leave is not over-generous. I suspect the reason Thailand has so many public holidays is an example of Thainess in operation. Sorry, drifting a bit off topic.

46 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

I know, but the choice was this or Hong Thong.

I can see we are getting into discussion of the creme de la creme of whiskys in Thailand, as consumed by all the HiSo lakorn actors.

So I have all the correct papers and pay all the correct taxes in Thailand. Yet, I go to tourist attractions and they treat me with the same regard they would a backpacker in a Chang wife beater. Why is it when it comes to religion days they blanket ban everyone the same? I'm a farang with zero religion, why ban me from doing anything in the name of their religion? Anyway, we all know where to buy beer and I'll be heading there later to raise a cold one to lord Buddha with the Thai Buddhist owner.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IssanCalling said:

Since when was Buddha a Lord. 

I will just leave that there... 

Born a prince and if I've understood correctly, the dude partied like there was no end until he started figuring it out. Definitely didn't spit in the bottle.

Edited by DrTuner

After 500 close calls with soi dogs, and 500 close calls while in a pedestrian crosswalk.. I can honestly say I have a lot less respect for their religion than I did when I first came 20 years ago, but still am respectful of it.. 

If they have enough police to enforce this .They would be better off putting them on the traffic policing . i only see them at road blocks for helmet fins . Just another law for today that will not be enforced.  

4 hours ago, Lemonltr said:

According the the Thai public holiday list publication, Visaka Bucha day is Monday 20th. Banks closed. 

According to other sources, it's today: Monday is only a holiday because of the fact that it falls on a weekend day. 

2019 18 May Sat

Visakha Bucha Day

5 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Monday is a national day off because the holiday falls on a weekend. 

How many holidays is there a year. A day off for a holiday that falls 

on a weekend. As someone mentioned earlier school 2 days? Then a holiday.

Yes many countries do such but every other day up here in the NE is a holiday. Maybe do like the Chinese if given an extra day holiday then you have to work on Sunday the next week,

NE education level is unfortunately low. Village concerts every other day..... (not quite but close) with underage children way over the alcohol limit... oh wait their not supposed to be drinking.

I would imagine there's more than a few cases where revenue trumps culture and religion?

Duty-free sales? (please don't tell me that airside is "not in Thailand")

Hotel mini-bars?

The fact that consumption is not outlawed, only sales, just points to the paternalistic social structure - backed up by the PtB - which loves to lord over the commoners (who are the only ones who live day-to-day and cannot plan purchases, or stockpile, ahead of holidays). 

Calling it "culture" is, well, insulting. As is blindly demanding everyone respect something meant to keep the masses dumbed down, and on the farm.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, IssanCalling said:

Since when was Buddha a Lord. 

I will just leave that there... 

He was an Indian Prince so not sure how the great unwashed would have addressed him.

PS

FA Cup tonight 11pm. Can it be watched if sober?

17 minutes ago, Penicillin said:

Ok, everyone that is an alcoholic and  was offended, raise your hand.

Wait, wait, wait - put your glass down first, you might spill some...

????

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Guitarzan said:

You should learn to respect the country you are living in and the Buddhist culture and traditions!  The more people like speak the worse it is for the rest of us. 

You should learn to respect the freedom of free speech; something that many Thai people are fighting for 

• Like 2

Just now, Orton Rd said:

Buddhist culture are you serious? ask any Thai 'Buddhist' what the four noble truths and the eight fold path to enlightenment are and i guarantee you will get a blank look, they are the core of his teachings. What he did not teach was praying to statues, bribing god, selling amulets and banning peoplle buying a drink. I just bought two large changs!

Not to mention monks selling "lucky lottery numbers"

• Like 1