No alcohol sales all day today: Jail for lawbreakers

rooster59

7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I have a different issue with this... 

Would a law have to be passed by Parliament for such an action to become illegal and a finable or a jailing offense?

The idea that someone in the Police Force, no matter how senior, can announce that something is illegal and therefor subject to fines is plan wrong. I'll use an extreme and unrealistic exaggeration to illustrate my point: What if the same senior members of the Police Force announced that wearing green T-shirts was against the law?

Is there actually ANY law at all against drinking alcohol today? or is just yet another ill thought out announcement which just shows the Police believe they can make up the law when they want?

If no such law exists I can't see how this announcement can have any legal bearing whatsoever.

There is no law about the consumption of alcohol only about the selling of the same. My local booze shop had no problem in selling me alcohol today. 

26 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

So when there's a speed limit sign saying 90 km/hr, you ignore it because someone is dictating to you?

Yep. I drive at whatever I feel comfortable with. Everyone else seems to do the same, so when in Rome............... 

1 hour ago, Wilsonandson said:

Just a quick hint to all the newbies in Thailand. If you go to a side street 'mom and pop' shop, you will be able to purchase alcohol there. They might wrap the bottles in newspaper, but you can still buy it descreetly. Obviously not near tourist areas such as Khao Sarn road.

This is the norm. All propoganda. For most Thai's it just means that 7/11 isn't selling alcohol. So fear not my worried chums. Shop smart today, and tomorrow everything will be fine.

That's it. No alcohol sales near tourist areas.

I had a little walk about 2 pm between Ekamai and Thong Lor. There are 2 small shops in the soi and both were openly selling alcohol. There was a group of Thai men sitting at the table drinking bottles of Leo.  They certainly weren't discreet. In fact they were quite noisy.

Yep, it's a stupid rule for sure, but at the end of the day, if you're really bored and want to go somewhere for a few beers, you can always find somewhere. I know a couple of places in BKK that never stop serving on these "holidays". But they shouldn't subject tourists to this nonsense. If I had booked a room in somewhere like the Oriental for my holiday and was not allowed to enjoy a sunset cocktail on the terrace or wine with dinner, I'd be pretty annoyed by that. It's also, quite simply, bad for business. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

Lucky numbers from the Monk ? you must be joking. The wife has not won for the last 4 draws on the local Monks numbers. I haven't either but then I pick my own numbers so expect not to win.

As for booze, its a sell out today where I live. Just walked across to the shop at 16:05 and all the Chang sold out, there is a party going on so had to settle for the last bottles of Singha.

As the dog said when it sat on the sandpaper RUFF!!!

10 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

Buddha would’ve let people decide for themselves; this is just another S.E. Asian country that has <deleted> in uniforms oppressing people.

Seems like the RTP just like to tell people how they must live. Or are they just setting up circumstances to collect more envelopes while appearing to be devoted to Buddha?  

• Like 1

• 8 months later...