BANGKOK 21 June 2019 06:12
rooster59

Another Thai D-Day: Motorists must pay their traffic fines before being able to renew tax

12 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

If following traffic laws is too onerous for you perhaps flying is the best option.

Actually I can pay the tickets no problem. No big deal. In reality if and when they make the point system to stick to you drivers record, then absolutely will fly every time. Normally do fly but on this occasion we needed the care in Bangkok to get a couple of animals and to go have r&d at the beach for two day.

And THAI traffic laws are in a sense contradictory to what they really should stand for.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Just got 2 x 500 baht tickets in the mail from driving to BKK from CM. So many radar now it is almost better and cheaper just to fly and rent a car when visiting family there. Such a cash cow as everyone is getting them. Most places have a slow 90KM posted which doesn't do squat to save lives one bit. It is how they drive not exactly how fast if from 90km of 120km

Obeying the law is voluntary. Suffering the consequences is mandatory.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Benmart said:

Obeying the law is voluntary. Suffering the consequences is mandatory.

Consequences are nothing. My new civic RS is a little race horse that needs to breathe. 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, jackdd said:

So in the future many people will decide to not pay the tax anymore, and this probably also means they will not pay for compulsary insurance, which means a higher burden on government hospitals.

Especially motorbikes might decide to just take off their license plates.

Well around my way very few have license plates on in the first place so no worries there.

• Haha 1

Well I got two tickets for a Car I do not own ( never have ) but with the right address, as I was passing handed it into the local city Police station, who told me not their problem, well it was not mine and left them there on the desk . Their faces were wonderful to see. 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I am not sure how this threat is supposed to work given that large numbers of them don't bother to pay their road tax now. Many will view it as even more money saved by not paying any of it.

Correct.

In the bush nobody sees a policeman from one year to the next so all vehicles or motorcycles that don't travel into town 

pay absolutely nothing apart from fuel. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

And thus the popular western myth that speed cameras are just for making money and have nothing to do with road safety finally comes to Thailand.

Here's a clue; if one doesn't break the speed limit, one doesn't get a speeding ticket.

Of course we all know that farang drivers are much safer when breaking the speed limit than the locals are.

Touch of sarcasm! The majority of westerners are better drivers at speed and safer drivers than Thais as westerners take proper driving lessons and a proper test not like Thailand!

80/90 kph on dual carriage ways is living in 30's and should be brought up to current standards! Sticking to such slow speeds makes people more tired as it tends to be monotonous and you stop concentrating!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Andycoops said:

Correct.

In the bush nobody sees a policeman from one year to the next so all vehicles or motorcycles that don't travel into town 

pay absolutely nothing apart from fuel. 

True. Thai's know the routes and towns where police operate. Traffic police seem to be very much 'creature's of habit'.

Posted (edited)

Its going to rain baht.

Approximately 800,000 unpaid fines annually. 

So rumour has it.

And it's all Thais. 

(Farang pay tea money on the spot)

I just read the editorial and it says 5.3 million unpaid fines this year.

Its truly going to be a golden downpour (shower).

Edited by dallen52

6 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Just got 2 x 500 baht tickets in the mail from driving to BKK from CM. So many radar now it is almost better and cheaper just to fly and rent a car when visiting family there. Such a cash cow as everyone is getting them. Most places have a slow 90KM posted which doesn't do squat to save lives one bit. It is how they drive not exactly how fast if from 90km of 120km

So how fast were you going exactly?

6 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I am not sure how this threat is supposed to work given that large numbers of them don't bother to pay their road tax now. Many will view it as even more money saved by not paying any of it.

Would make sense to also gave to produce your driving license when renewing the vehicle too..

Oops, I forgot. 

This Is Thailand. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

The blanket speed limit of 90 on this route is a PITA. Some stretches should be 120, others below 90. It adds at least an hour of driving to the trip. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Sticky Wicket said:

A lot happening on July 1st!

What else....do tell?..(fear of missing out).

Edited by dotpoom

A lot of us are attracted to Thailand because it doesn't have the rules and regulations of the 'Nanny States' we come from (or at least they are enforced slackly). It would be a shame if Thailand ends up just as bad.

I'm always surprised by the number of expats on TV who actually support more rules, regulations and loss of freedom. Surely you can get that in spades back in your home country?

• Confused 1