O-A Visa health insurance

Only a guess.....however you already have your OA. When you trigger the second yr as you outlined, its not an extension. Its subsequent applications for a new OA in home country that would need insurance if its introduced. 

I couldn't figure out why Retirement non O renewal should not (we were first told) require insurance/whatever when OA DID require it. Just occurred to me non-O has the 800k deposit whereas OA does not. This deposit alone should cover the vast majority of medical events, maybe that's it.

I'd also note this seems to be happening because of a shortfall of 300mbaht in unpaid bills.

This is frankly a trifling amount compared to the potential disruption/extra IO work/complications of running an insurance scheme.........things that could potentially lose Thailand revenue from disgruntled expats.

The whole amount could be covered with a mere few hundred baht increase in processing fees for long stayers at immigration.

Sorry to swerve your topic.

Sorry if this has already been covered but I keep hearing conflicting stories. Will people on marriage or retirement extensions require health insurance when they renew their extension. Thanks.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

I think that many people would like to believe you, ubonjoe :smile:, but the original Thai announcement seems really unclear to most of us :ermm:.

By example why is Immigration mentioned and concerned if it's only for visa (in embassies) ? Why did Phuket Immigration chief say that it has been informed of the change to come but didn't yet receive the directives?... For me it could only be for the future Extensions, for both O-A and O visas. :ermm:

O-A doesn't require 800k (400k to be untouched) in bank indefinitely, if not for Emergency for what, certainly cannot use it to live on.

• Confused 1

Because he, like many of us read of the initial proposal published as news.

'Extraordinary' or 'Extensions' are tongue twisters for Thais, which is why many local IO's prefer the use of the words 'Retirement Visaaaa' or 'Marriage Visaaa'.

It not only confuses many expats, they confuse themselves when they read an article containing the word 'Visa' and believe it concerns them.

Many IO's have no idea of the difference between a Visa and an Extension, because they've probably never had the experience of travel and making an application for a Visa.

If you want further confirmation of who it affects, read this article.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1100622-mandatory-health-insurance-for-foreigners-aged-over-50-in-thailand-why-it-may-not-affect-you/?tab=comments#comment-14141726

Edited by Tanoshi

7 minutes ago, davemos said:

Hi all I currently have this in my passport and have to return in June to Australia (tax) How may I extend it and do I  need insurance .Will immigration accept a Australia health policy ? 

IMG_20190515_160312.jpg

Insurance requirement does not affect you at all.

The government just want people out of Thailand. They don`t care about us and have no sense for doing right. Insurance for visitors is right, but for us that use all our money here, is very bad doing, and af 80 years it is finish to make insurance if you didn't make it in many year. Price for peple near 80 years is 91.000,- Baht. 

And this didn`t compare with the rules for getting retirement Visa or married Visa.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

As I understood from different Media in Europe also marriage or retirement visa/extension require a health insurance. 

But here is the point :

I really don't understand why so many people here on TV are against an insurance issued as a requirement for a long stay. 

Guys, It's about your own health, your own life! Why you neglect yourself and your family? 

I understand that some don't have the money. But then, why not go back to NHS? 

In many, many countries in EU it is impossible to stay without insurance. Over 70s get free healthcare i.g. Ireland. 

So what those with preconditions will do one day in Thailand? Die on the Street or run away, not paying the bills. 

So to me it seems narrow minded to say NO to a health insurance in Thailand if you want to stay long time. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dania2019 said:

The government just want people out of Thailand. They don`t care about us and have no sense for doing right. Insurance for visitors is right, but for us that use all our money here, is very bad doing, and af 80 years it is finish to make insurance if you didn't make it in many year. Price for peple near 80 years is 91.000,- Baht. 

And this didn`t compare with the rules for getting retirement Visa or married Visa.  

Sorry, I can't follow you. 

You are enjoying the cheap food, cheap accomodation, any kind of cheap living..... 

But if a hospital stay is necessary you want to have it for free or make the runner. 

You saved a lot of money already. Now it's pay day. 

In your home country health care is free. 

So either you pay here for the health insurance or go back to where healthcare is free but living a bit more expensive. 

But don't complain 

4 hours ago, davemos said:

Hi all I currently have this in my passport and have to return in June to Australia (tax) How may I extend it and do I  need insurance .Will immigration accept a Australia health policy ? 

IMG_20190515_160312.jpg

What health policy in Australia covers you in Thailand?

Do you mean a travel insurance policy, purchased in Australia?

30 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

Sorry, I can't follow you. 

You are enjoying the cheap food, cheap accomodation, any kind of cheap living..... 

But if a hospital stay is necessary you want to have it for free or make the runner. 

You saved a lot of money already. Now it's pay day. 

In your home country health care is free. 

So either you pay here for the health insurance or go back to where healthcare is free but living a bit more expensive. 

But don't complain 

Not against a foreign health insurance obligation, quite the opposite.
It is the way of inaccurate communication and the strange reasons why ONLY O-A visa holders should buy insurance products that are completely overpriced and partly useless due to the very limited coverage and possible reasons for exclusion. If the Thai Embassy should recognize my previous foreign health insurance with my next application, I would actually welcome a foreign health insurance obligation for everyone very much!

• Like 1

I love guys like you ,"why dont you go back",well do you want the full list ,wife of 20 years ,son ,house ,car .furniture , etc etc ,my life is here and if i could get govt ins at my age with no restrictions i would get it ,but we cant ,so please stop with the "holier than though attitude" i will not run away if i have to go to hospital ,i have been many times ( nothing serius) and paid and if i do have a serious illness i will pay with my own cash at a govt hospital , so why waste 60 or70k a year on a policy that will never pay out?
If you're on Marriage or Retirement Extensions the insurance requirements don't apply to you.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I liked the immigrant workers insurance plan a year or so ago,confined to govt.hospitals,some ex pats thought they could get onboard ,but were eventually denied,just beef that up for ex pats instead of leaving us to the mercy of private health insurance companies. Point is not everyone will ever use these health insurance policies

Edited by oxysong
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

If you're on Marriage or Retirement Extensions the insurance requirements don't apply to you.

From Chiang Rai Times:

According to Nattawuth, the new rule applies to both new applicants for the non-immigrant visa (O-A), which offers a stay of up to one year, and those wishing to renew their visa. Each renewal is valid for one year.

Since there is no such thing as a visa renewal I take it as read that they mean extension.

9 hours ago, cheeryble said:

Just occurred to me non-O has the 800k deposit whereas OA does not.

O-A visas do have a very similar financial requirement to retirement extensions, including meeting the financial requirement by showing the equivalent of 800,000 baht in one's home country bank account (as opposed to in a Thai bank account).

*5. Four copies of: 
               - applicant's bank statement (U.S.) showing a balance in the amount of not less than 800,000 Baht (current Thai exchange rate is available from the Bank of Thailand web site)
               - or an income certificate with a monthly salary of not less than 65,000 Baht
               - or a combination of a deposit account plus a monthly income totaling not less than 800,000 Baht a year.
      (When submitting the bank statement, a letter from the bank verifying the account and balance is to be presented)

http://www.thaiconsulatela.org/service_visa_detail.aspx?link_id=48

Since there is no such thing as a visa renewal I take it as read that they mean extension.
That doesn't seem to be the consensus on the many other threads on this topic. OX visas already require insurance and OA visas are similar but for a year and not 5 years. Extensions of Stay have different financial requirements and an Extension is completely different from a "visa renewal", whatever that is!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

O-A visas do have a very similar financial requirement to retirement extensions, including meeting the financial requirement by showing the equivalent of 800,000 baht in one's home country bank account (as opposed to in a Thai bank account).

http://www.thaiconsulatela.org/service_visa_detail.aspx?link_id=48

but they dont require 400,000 to always be in the account

Just now, brewsterbudgen said:

That doesn't seem to be the consensus on the many other threads on this topic. OX visas already require insurance and OA visas are similar but for a year and not 5 years. Extensions of Stay have different financial requirements and an Extension is completely different from a "visa renewal", whatever that is!

and thats what he said. people are using the word renewal improperly.

and thats what he said. people are using the word renewal improperly.
Hence the confusion! You can't "renew" a visa, and an Extension is not a "renewal" of a visa.

People can intepret it how they want. I'll go along with Ubonjoe and the majority of other posters. I guess we'll know for sure on 1 July.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AYJAYDEE said:

but they dont require 400,000 to always be in the account

That's why I said "similar," not identical. Yep, that is one of the new differences affecting retirement extensions that wasn't carried over to O-A visas...at least not thus far. Along with the new retirement extension rule about seasoning for the 800K in bank funds.

But the main difference has always been...with retirement extensions, the bank funds had to be in a Thai bank, whereas with O-A visas, any bank funds had to be in a home country bank account.

The prior poster seemed to be saying O-A visas didn't/don't have an 800,000 baht bank requirement. And in fact they do, as one of several options for meeting the financial requirement.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK