BANGKOK 16 June 2019 03:40

With the latest requirement for a Health Insurance Plan for an O-A Visa applying in own country, just wondering whether an Annual Travel Insurance Plan will do...thanks a lot.

It might be if it provided the required coverage.

"medical claims for outpatient must not be less than 40,000 Baht, for inpatient must not be less than 400,000 Baht"

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Only a guess.....however you already have your OA. When you trigger the second yr as you outlined, its not an extension. Its subsequent applications for a new OA in home country that would need insurance if its introduced. 

I couldn't figure out why Retirement non O renewal should not (we were first told) require insurance/whatever when OA DID require it. Just occurred to me non-O has the 800k deposit whereas OA does not. This deposit alone should cover the vast majority of medical events, maybe that's it.

I'd also note this seems to be happening because of a shortfall of 300mbaht in unpaid bills.

This is frankly a trifling amount compared to the potential disruption/extra IO work/complications of running an insurance scheme.........things that could potentially lose Thailand revenue from disgruntled expats.

The whole amount could be covered with a mere few hundred baht increase in processing fees for long stayers at immigration.

Sorry to swerve your topic.

Sorry if this has already been covered but I keep hearing conflicting stories. Will people on marriage or retirement extensions require health insurance when they renew their extension. Thanks.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

I think that many people would like to believe you, ubonjoe :smile:, but the original Thai announcement seems really unclear to most of us :ermm:.

By example why is Immigration mentioned and concerned if it's only for visa (in embassies) ? Why did Phuket Immigration chief say that it has been informed of the change to come but didn't yet receive the directives?... For me it could only be for the future Extensions, for both O-A and O visas. :ermm:

O-A doesn't require 800k (400k to be untouched) in bank indefinitely, if not for Emergency for what, certainly cannot use it to live on.

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)

Because he, like many of us read of the initial proposal published as news.

'Extraordinary' or 'Extensions' are tongue twisters for Thais, which is why many local IO's prefer the use of the words 'Retirement Visaaaa' or 'Marriage Visaaa'.

It not only confuses many expats, they confuse themselves when they read an article containing the word 'Visa' and believe it concerns them.

Many IO's have no idea of the difference between a Visa and an Extension, because they've probably never had the experience of travel and making an application for a Visa.

If you want further confirmation of who it affects, read this article.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1100622-mandatory-health-insurance-for-foreigners-aged-over-50-in-thailand-why-it-may-not-affect-you/?tab=comments#comment-14141726

Edited by Tanoshi

Hi all I currently have this in my passport and have to return in June to Australia (tax) How may I extend it and do I  need insurance .Will immigration accept a Australia health policy ? 

IMG_20190515_160312.jpg

7 minutes ago, davemos said:

Hi all I currently have this in my passport and have to return in June to Australia (tax) How may I extend it and do I  need insurance .Will immigration accept a Australia health policy ? 

IMG_20190515_160312.jpg

Insurance requirement does not affect you at all.

it says  right at the top

RE-ENTRY permit.

it can be used to enter Thailand before it expires  Aug 15th

thats NOT ur visa but expires the same day as ur visa does