O-A Visa health insurance

50 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

I love guys like you ,"why dont you go back",well do you want the full list ,wife of 20 years ,son ,house ,car .furniture , etc etc ,my life is here and if i could get govt ins at my age with no restrictions i would get it ,but we cant ,so please stop with the "holier than though attitude" i will not run away if i have to go to hospital ,i have been many times ( nothing serius) and paid and if i do have a serious illness i will pay with my own cash at a govt hospital , so why waste 60 or70k a year on a policy that will never pay out?

If you get cancer it will cost much more than your "wasted 70k". And if you have Severe problems after treatment your money might not cover the expenses. 

Did you have a health insurance in UK? 

So there is no reason to deny in Thailand. 

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I apply for a new passport, to replace the old one that has expired.

Kind of like one would do with an expired O-A visa.

Exactly, you obtain a new one, which some would call a renewal.

'Replace' would have been a better choice of wording though.

57 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

I love guys like you ,"why dont you go back",well do you want the full list ,wife of 20 years ,son ,house ,car .furniture , etc etc ,my life is here and if i could get govt ins at my age with no restrictions i would get it ,but we cant ,so please stop with the "holier than though attitude" i will not run away if i have to go to hospital ,i have been many times ( nothing serius) and paid and if i do have a serious illness i will pay with my own cash at a govt hospital , so why waste 60 or70k a year on a policy that will never pay out?

wifeof 20 years ,son ,house ,car .furniture , etc etc ,my life is here and if i could get govt ins at my age with no restrictions i would get it ,

Well, I can't see any reason for you  not to go back. 

House, car, furniture is easy to sell. And your son will be happy to get a proper education finally. 

And as you can read there is an offer for health insurance even in old age. It's not more than 2000 pounds a year. 

I hope instantly that the govt will implement a health insurance as necessary if applying for visa/extension.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

The National Health Service covers all British citizens or those with permanent residency.

I know. Therefore I recommend everybody who is complaining and argueing to go back under the wings of NHS. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

I know. Therefore I recommend everybody who is complaining and argueing to go back under the wings of NHS. 

so youre encouraging them to leave their families behind??

8 hours ago, 9a9a said:

Sorry if this has already been covered but I keep hearing conflicting stories. Will people on marriage or retirement extensions require health insurance when they renew their extension. Thanks.

Conflicting stories ,   just about sums it up ..??

Live in hope , good luck.

Edited by elliss

Just now, AYJAYDEE said:

I asked you if you did. Hence the use of a "?". And if you didnt, what is your suggestion for their families?

If you have to go back you can do it with your dependants (wife, children) 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

Our beloved homeland .  Surely somebody there , misses me and wants me to come home .?

Just maybe , doubt it , so sad ..

6 minutes ago, AYJAYDEE said:

I asked you if you did. Hence the use of a "?". And if you didnt, what is your suggestion for their families?

If you go back to UK, the whole family is covered by NHS, which will save you 2000 pounds /year at least 

2 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

love guys like you ,"why dont you go back",well do you want the full list ,wife of 20 years ,son ,house ,car .furniture , etc etc ,my life is here and if i could get govt ins at my age with no restrictions i would get it ,but we cant ,so please stop with the "holier than though attitude" i will not run away if i have to go to hospital ,i have been many times ( nothing serius) and paid and if i do have a serious illness i will pay with my own cash at a govt hospital , so why waste 60 or70k a year on a policy that will never pay out?

I'm with you on that one, it would be useful if it protected the family from. Medical bill liability but I don't see it that way...

Perhaps if they had said you would  get  medical insurance account, and you would be guaranteed at least upto the accumulated premiums you had paid in, unconditionally, it may give it some credibility. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

If you go back to UK, the whole family is covered by NHS, which will save you 2000 pounds /year at least 

But you do need to have around 60K sterling in the bank for your Thai wife and children to get them in to the UK I believe?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

If you're on Marriage or Retirement Extensions the insurance requirements don't apply to you.

When there is a precipitous drop in O-A visas, they will realize their mistakes. Till then, enjoy your stay. People are not stupid to travel to their home country, get police report, health report and on top of that buy a worthless insurance for 60K. They can get an extension inside Thailand for 1900 Baht. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, davemos said:

Hi all I currently have this in my passport and have to return in June to Australia (tax) How may I extend it and do I  need insurance .Will immigration accept a Australia health policy ? 

IMG_20190515_160312.jpg

If you return to Thailand before 15th August 2019 you will be stamped in until that date. You can renew your extension in Thailand anytime after July 15th. 

If you intend return after that, the Extension will have expired and you will be stamped in on a 30 day Visa waiver and you would need to start the Extension process again. You could also enter on a tourist or Non-Imm O visa obtained in Oz. None of these requires medical insurance. If you decide to obtain a Non-Imm OA from Canberra, that will likely require medical insurance. It will have to be whatever the Embassy is prepared to accept. 

Edited by jacko45k

15 minutes ago, Mango Bob said:

Somebody explain to me why the insurance doesn't apply for an extension of stay but only when you get an 0/A visa.   Does not make any sense at all.  I believe you will need the insurance for an extension of stay.  No one has said that those already here are Grandfather in and do not need it if they stay and continue with the extension of stay.   People are playing word games here because they don't want it to apply to them.  I am surprised to experience people here just don't say we don't know until the rules come out by immigration.  

Just because it can't be explained doesnt mean it can't happen. This is Thailand remember. No one really knows if it applies to extensions or not.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

As I understood from different Media in Europe also marriage or retirement visa/extension require a health insurance. 

But here is the point :

I really don't understand why so many people here on TV are against an insurance issued as a requirement for a long stay. 

Guys, It's about your own health, your own life! Why you neglect yourself and your family? 

I understand that some don't have the money. But then, why not go back to NHS? 

In many, many countries in EU it is impossible to stay without insurance. Over 70s get free healthcare i.g. Ireland. 

So what those with preconditions will do one day in Thailand? Die on the Street or run away, not paying the bills. 

So to me it seems narrow minded to say NO to a health insurance in Thailand if you want to stay long time. 

I have been using O-A visa for 6 years now. But I only stay in Thailand around 6-7 month a year.

I have always insurance, but the idea of paying for insurance for the half part of the year I’m NOT in Thailand is just ridiculous. I use a REAL insurance with good coverage not the crap they suggesting in the new rules. But that is expensive. And NO way will I pay this for many month I don’t need it just to get a visa.

There is other places to spend my time and money than Thailand if this really will become the new rules.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bokningar said:

I have been using O-A visa for 6 years now. But I only stay in Thailand around 6-7 month a year.

Why bother with O-A? An METV will do almost as well and the requirements are much less onerous apart from one or possibly two visa runs

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

Why bother with O-A? An METV will do almost as well and the requirements are much less onerous apart from one or possibly two visa runs

O-A is sorting my visa for 2 years in 1 go. No need to get all the paperwork and travel to Thai embassy many times. I always buy 1 way tickets and decide later when to return. To and from Thailand same, freedom (stay as long as I want, home and in Thailand). And I don’t have to leave for no god reason every 90 days. But this and the TM 30 enforcement I’m not sure Thailand as much as I love it here will be my place to spend the winters any more.

• Like 1