O-A Visa health insurance

Let me clarify a point here please. I entered Thailand on a multiple entry non O visa on 2005 and have extended it for 365 days ever since then. Do I need health insurance when I next extend this in 2 or 3 months? Due to a stoke 2 years ago, it is unlikely I could get insurance now or if I could, the cost would be prohibitive. Also a friend is visiting Thailand for 4 weeks later this year on a visa exempt basis. He has just been diagnosed with lung cancer. He does not plan on taking out insurance. Could this give him a problem ehen trying to enter the country?

Thanks,

Alan

2 minutes ago, fifelad55 said:

Do I need health insurance when I next extend this in 2 or 3 months?

Nobody knows for sure.

Until we get a new explicit announcement, I would consider you don't need one.

25 minutes ago, fifelad55 said:

Let me clarify a point here please. I entered Thailand on a multiple entry non O visa on 2005 and have extended it for 365 days ever since then.

Just to be clear, you've been extending your permission of stay each year, not the Visa.

The Visa expired on it's enter before date.

Extensions are permits not Visas.

Do I need health insurance when I next extend this in 2 or 3 months?

No, the proposal for mandatory health insurance applies solely to new applications at Thai Embassies/Consulates for the long stay Non Imm O-A Visas.

Also a friend is visiting Thailand for 4 weeks later this year on a visa exempt basis. He has just been diagnosed with lung cancer. He does not plan on taking out insurance. Could this give him a problem ehen trying to enter the country?

No problem with entry, however it would be irresponsible for him not to take Travel Insurance covering medical expenses.

Edited by Tanoshi

1 minute ago, Tanoshi said:

At todays BKK exchange rate £19,413.

Thanks. I was just being a bit sarky in reply to Bigun's statement that one needed GBP 18600 to take your family to settle in UK, which is a true statement.

3 hours ago, Mango Bob said:

Somebody explain to me why the insurance doesn't apply for an extension of stay but only when you get an 0/A visa.

An extension of stay is;

1. Applied for at local Immigration.

2. Temporary.

3. A permit, not a Visa.

A The Non O-A Visa is;

1. Applied for at Thai Embassies/Consulates.

2. A long stay Visa type.

14 hours ago, Leaver said:

What health policy in Australia covers you in Thailand?

Do you mean a travel insurance policy, purchased in Australia?

19 hours ago, Dania2019 said:

The government just want people out of Thailand. They don`t care about us and have no sense for doing right. Insurance for visitors is right, but for us that use all our money here, is very bad doing, and af 80 years it is finish to make insurance if you didn't make it in many year. Price for peple near 80 years is 91.000,- Baht. 

And this didn`t compare with the rules for getting retirement Visa or married Visa.  

What insurance is only 91000 ? I can't find one under 440000 73 years no issues

1 minute ago, Tanoshi said:

An extension of stay is;

1. Applied for at local Immigration.

2. Temporary.

3. A permit, not a Visa.

A The Non O-A Visa is;

1. Applied for at Thai Embassies/Consulates.

2. A long stay Visa type.

so you dont know either

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Just to be clear, you've been extending your permission of stay each year, not the Visa.

The Visa expired on it's enter before date.

Extensions are permits not Visas.

No, the proposal for mandatory health insurance applies solely to new applications at Thai Embassies/Consulates for the long stay Non Imm O-A Visas.

No problem with entry, however it would be irresponsible for him not to take Travel Insurance covering medical expenses.

you dont know that for sure

6 minutes ago, AYJAYDEE said:

you dont know that for sure

Yes I do because I've understood the press statements, those by Thai Visa Protect and the Insurance providers who will be offering the Policies.

It clearly states it's only applicable to long term Non O-A Visa applicants.

If you can't get your fickle brain around that fact and want to make believe this in any way concerns extension applications submitted at local Immigration offices, you obviously don't understand the proposal put forward by the Thai cabinet.

If you know different, please post an extract from any statement made by the press or Health minister that states it affects 'temporary permission of stay permit applications'.

9 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Yes I do because I've understood the press statements, those by Thai Visa Protect and the Insurance providers who will be offering the Policies.

It clearly states it's only applicable to long term Non O-A Visa applicants.

If you can't get your fickle brain around that fact and want to make believe this in any way concerns extension applications submitted at local Immigration offices, you obviously don't understand the proposal put forward by the Thai cabinet.

If you know different, please post an extract from any statement made by the press or Health minister that states it affects 'temporary permission of stay permit applications'.

the press wouldnt know and the health ministry used the wrong wording no matter what group it applies to. and the things that have been said so far mention something more than Non O-A alone. So, like you, I dont know either

It's been explained to you in other threads using quotes from various sources who are dealing with the new proposal, but you still persist in blowing false smoke into the issue to cause confusion and paranoia, because you cannot understand what you read ….. if indeed you've read any of the updated reports clarifying exactly to what and whom the proposal affects, since the original announcement.

2 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

Don't tell me, pensioners in UK are starving.

Last time I was in Tesco I was gob-smacked at the amount of brand label goods being bought by pensioners when there are identical generic goods available for half the price. Most seemed to believe that eating meat at least once a day was their god-given right when someone like me on an income significantly greater than the pension is quite healthy and happy on four or five meaty meals a week

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mango Bob said:

Somebody explain to me why the insurance doesn't apply for an extension of stay but only when you get an 0/A visa.   Does not make any sense at all.  I believe you will need the insurance for an extension of stay.  No one has said that those already here are Grandfather in and do not need it if they stay and continue with the extension of stay.   People are playing word games here because they don't want it to apply to them.  I am surprised to experience people here just don't say we don't know until the rules come out by immigration.  

As I said before in other media it was very clear that ALL visa/extensions will have required insurance. 

1 minute ago, ThaiBunny said:

Last time I was in Tesco I was gob-smacked at the amount of brand label goods being bought by pensioners when there are identical generic goods available for half the price. Most seemed to believe that eating meat at least once a day was their god-given right when someone like me on an income significantly greater than the pension is quite healthy and happy on four or five meaty meals a week

Very true 

1 hour ago, fifelad55 said:

Let me clarify a point here please. I entered Thailand on a multiple entry non O visa on 2005 and have extended it for 365 days ever since then. Do I need health insurance when I next extend this in 2 or 3 months? Due to a stoke 2 years ago, it is unlikely I could get insurance now or if I could, the cost would be prohibitive. Also a friend is visiting Thailand for 4 weeks later this year on a visa exempt basis. He has just been diagnosed with lung cancer. He does not plan on taking out insurance. Could this give him a problem ehen trying to enter the country?

Thanks,

Alan

As I read in other media everybody applying for visa/extensions has to show insurance. 

So it's good to have a plan B. At last go back to NHS

7 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

It's been explained to you in other threads using quotes from various sources who are dealing with the new proposal, but you still persist in blowing false smoke into the issue to cause confusion and paranoia, because you cannot understand what you read ….. if indeed you've read any of the updated reports clarifying exactly to what and whom the proposal affects, since the original announcement.

quotes using terms that do not carry any weight in the immigration act. none of your sources have defined what the word "renewal" refers to. you assume they mean what you want them to mean.  I don't know what they mean.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AYJAYDEE said:

quotes using terms that do not carry any weight in the immigration act. none of your sources have defined what the word "renewal" refers to. you assume they mean what you want them to mean.  I don't know what they mean.

Definition of renewal. 1 : the act or process of renewing

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/renewal

1 minute ago, ivor bigun said:

Nothing to do with that,you have to earn 18600 to be able to take your wife to live there,for her to get a visa

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

So, what is your plan B???? 

You got a too low income for UK to go with family and also you Can't pay insurance. 

Might be time for a move before it's too late. I read about Bulgaria, Romania or Hungary, where it's not expensive to live with low income. However it will have to have more Research. 

Good Luck 

You got a too low income for UK to go with family and also you Can't pay insurance. 

Might be time for a move before it's too late. I read about Bulgaria, Romania or Hungary, where it's not expensive to live with low income. However it will have to have more Research. 

Good Luck 

Who said i cant afford insurance,? Not me i just do not want to pay 70 or 80k a year for something that is of no use .i prefere to pay for my own hospital visits.

3 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

Who said i cant afford insurance,? Not me i just do not want to pay 70 or 80k a year for something that is of no use .i prefere to pay for my own hospital visits.

Where you can pay hospital by yourself in EU? 

Come to reality! You will have to pay in Thailand or choose an international insurance. 

One way or another you have to pay.

9 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

Good Luck 

Plan B (in planning stage) is just across the border into Cambodia, with ! year visa easy, cheap and no income requirement. Other 1/2 can easily visit family, and a lot of Thai spoken/understood.

There are many retirees here on low income. If we spend B500,000/yr, and 10,000 leave, how silly will Thailand look? 

36 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

As I said before in other media it was very clear that ALL visa/extensions will have required insurance. 

Hi Everyone,

Thai Visa Health Protect has a number of plans available, underwritten and powered by Pacific Cross Health Insurance.  We currently have an existing product suite though are also able to offer the plan approved for the visa requirement.

There also seems to be a lot of confusion as to who this applies to.  I thought it would be courteous to provide some info we have provided to our existing client base and brokers.  We have been inundated with inquiries, I will try to post more as I know, if anyone needs any help please email [email protected].

To Business Partners,
The purpose of writing to you is to update you on the status of the above visa requirements for foreigners.  

Pacific Cross has approval from the Immigration Department office to provide products in support of a "long stay" visa applicant for both types 1 year O-A, and 10 Year O-X.  However at this stage only the O-X 10 Year Visa minimum insurance requirements have been determined and a copy of these rules are shown below.

In line with this Pacific Cross has developed three "Long Stay" insurance plans to support the O-X 10 Year Visa applications.  These plans are know as Platinum 1, Platinum 2, Platinum 3, please note that only these plans from Pacific Cross are accepted by the Immigration Department at this point in time.

As previously intimated the insurance requirements for the O-A (1 Year Visa) have not yet been determined therefore please reassure your clients not to panic unnecessarily.  Policy holders may need to upgrade their plans so for us Pacific Cross Health Insurance we are working on how such changes will be accommodated.

Can you spot the hidden word 'extension'!
Edited by Tanoshi