O-A Visa health insurance

8 minutes ago, Ozman52 said:

Plan B (in planning stage) is just across the border into Cambodia, with ! year visa easy, cheap and no income requirement. Other 1/2 can easily visit family, and a lot of Thai spoken/understood.

There are many retirees here on low income. If we spend B500,000/yr, and 10,000 leave, how silly will Thailand look? 

Well, I suppose there are some retirees who have chosen Thailand as a nice country to live, but not as a mousehole to avoid payments to healthcare 

47 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

It's been explained to you in other threads using quotes from various sources who are dealing with the new proposal, but you still persist in blowing false smoke into the issue to cause confusion and paranoia, because you cannot understand what you read ….. if indeed you've read any of the updated reports clarifying exactly to what and whom the proposal affects, since the original announcement.

I wish you were right, but I doubt it very much.  You are telling us only someone getting a visa from an embassy or renewing one (not extension) will require insurance.  But those living here applying for extensions will not.  So that person who gets an O/A visa will not in the future need insurance when they do an extension?  I think you are the one blowing smoke and playing work games with extension and renewing.  I say you and anyone else saying this is sitting on their brains.

2 minutes ago, Mango Bob said:

I wish you were right, but I doubt it very much.  You are telling us only someone getting a visa from an embassy or renewing one (not extension) will require insurance.  But those living here applying for extensions will not.  So that person who gets an O/A visa will not in the future need insurance when they do an extension?  I think you are the one blowing smoke and playing work games with extension and renewing.  I say you and anyone else saying this is sitting on their brains.

Once you go on to Extensions of Stay there are financial requirements.  The insurance is only required for OA and OX visas.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ozman52 said:

There are many retirees here on low income. If we spend B500,000/yr, and 10,000 leave, how silly will Thailand look?

At each news there are members to suggest that "many retirees would leave" (and it never happen) but here again how few people may be concerned? I mean that, except maybe some very old seniors, who would live as retiree in Thailand without a Health Insurance already? :ermm:

1 minute ago, Pattaya46 said:

At each news there are members to suggest that "many retirees would leave" (and it never happen) 

True; the more likely impact will be declining new applications from some countries as retirees face the prospect of significant additional costs and falling exchange rates

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

As I read in other media everybody applying for visa/extensions has to show insurance. 

So it's good to have a plan B. At last go back to NHS

So it has morphed into everybody applying for visas/extensions has to show insurance now? So much speculation.

Edited by userabcd

19 minutes ago, userabcd said:
So it has morphed into everybody applying for visas/extensions has to show insurance now? So much speculation.

It's still unclear and likely will be for a fair amount of time. People just need to wait.

Is that such a hard concept to grasp?

Edited by Jingthing

Just now, Jingthing said:

It's still unclear and likely will be for a fair amount of time. People just need to wait. Is that such a hard concept to grasp?

People demand certainty and hope - it's just human nature.  Tell them all will be well. What are they going to do if it turns out you were wrong? Sue you?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

And you think they have more credibility than the "experts" on this Forum!

Well, 

On TV we have a lot of clairvoyants, fortune tellers, advocats, detectives, doctors, and fools probably. 

So take your choice ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

But if a hospital stay is necessary you want to have it for free or make the runner. 

nobody wants anything for free - if we visit a hospital we pay the bill

what are you taking about - are you Thai

• Like 1

I wish people would stop spreading nonsense and inaccurate information on these thread

In case people hadn't noticed people applying for a 12 month extension of permission to stay in Thailand have to meet certain financial requirements "IN THAILAND" - either annual income equal to Bt800k a year or a Bank balance of Bt800k for 5 months not going below Bt400k for 12 months 

Now stop this stupid nonsense now it is getting tiring and it is the same people trolling baiting these threads talking out their ass

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, smedly said:

nobody wants anything for free - if we visit a hospital we pay the bill

what are you taking about - are you Thai

And if you Can't pay? For cancer it's easily up to 2-3 million baht. 

I strongly doubt you have that cash. Otherwise you wouldn't be against a widely common way of insurance. 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

I strongly doubt you have that cash. Otherwise you wouldn't be against a widely common way of insurance. 

oh dear

2 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

Well, I suppose there are some retirees who have chosen Thailand as a nice country to live, but not as a mousehole to avoid payments to healthcare 

I have chosen Thailand as a nice country to live, for more than 20 years, during which time I have not required health insurance. I also still have access to Medicare in Oz due to frequent return trips and employment. Having retired early due to an incurable medical condition, I find my savings somewhat depleted. I certainly have no intention of depleting them further on over-priced health insurance I neither want or need,

BTW there is a 3rd option to health insurance and paying 2-3 million baht for cancer treatment. We all end up there eventually.

29 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

So how would expensive mandatory 400 000 THB insurance help in this case ?

12 minutes ago, Ozman52 said:

I have chosen Thailand as a nice country to live, for more than 20 years, during which time I have not required health insurance. I also still have access to Medicare in Oz due to frequent return trips and employment. Having retired early due to an incurable medical condition, I find my savings somewhat depleted. I certainly have no intention of depleting them further on over-priced health insurance I neither want or need,

BTW there is a 3rd option to health insurance and paying 2-3 million baht for cancer treatment. We all end up there eventually.

That's fine for you. Two exit ways. One back to Oz, or the short Track. Seems not to be a very happy future. But at the end we'll go the same way 

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, bokningar said:

So how would expensive mandatory 400 000 THB insurance help in this case ?

Only a fool would by that with such a pathetic coverage. A few Baht more I suppose it's worth to spend 

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

Only a fool would by that with such a pathetic coverage. A few Baht more I suppose it's worth to spend 

So in fact supporting and arguing for the new rule as it has been presented would be equally foolish, right?

3 minutes ago, bokningar said:

So in fact supporting and arguing for the new rule as it has been presented would be equally foolish, right?

No, you did'nt understand. 

In our Countries everybody got a health insurance. 

But then, when you come to Thailand you wouldn't need it?? Though the risk of road accidents is 10 times higher than in EU, even more. 

So why it is in your mind to throw yourself and your family in such a financial desaster?

Of course you are free to find a better insurence than the offered one. 

The govt insurance might be the right start to give protection. 

• Sad 1

46 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

That's fine for you. Two exit ways. One back to Oz, or the short Track. Seems not to be a very happy future. But at the end we'll go the same way 

You forgot Plan B, Cambodia. There is also Plan C, 6 monthly trips home for a double entry TV.

14 minutes ago, Ozman52 said:

You forgot Plan B, Cambodia. There is also Plan C, 6 monthly trips home for a double entry TV.

Umm there is no double entry TV. There is METV available in home country. Also report of refused entry at Thai airport if deemed living in los on METV. Mind you the reason will be insufficient funds. Cambodia in some peoples opinion including mine is a sh.

2 hours ago, smedly said:

I wish people would stop spreading nonsense and inaccurate information //

Looks like you are one of them...

2 hours ago, smedly said:

// people applying for a 12 month extension of permission to stay in Thailand have to meet certain financial requirements "IN THAILAND" //

Not true. Many are using a Letter of Income from their Embassy and have no requirement about money "in Thailand".

• Thanks 1