BANGKOK

Let me clarify a point here please. I entered Thailand on a multiple entry non O visa on 2005 and have extended it for 365 days ever since then. Do I need health insurance when I next extend this in 2 or 3 months? Due to a stoke 2 years ago, it is unlikely I could get insurance now or if I could, the cost would be prohibitive. Also a friend is visiting Thailand for 4 weeks later this year on a visa exempt basis. He has just been diagnosed with lung cancer. He does not plan on taking out insurance. Could this give him a problem ehen trying to enter the country?

Thanks,

Alan

2 minutes ago, fifelad55 said:

Do I need health insurance when I next extend this in 2 or 3 months?

Nobody knows for sure.

Until we get a new explicit announcement, I would consider you don't need one.

Of course, if you're over 70 you can't get medical cover anyway!

12 hours ago, AYJAYDEE said:

so youre encouraging them to leave their families behind??

No, take 'em all with you, they'll be covered too.   LOL

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, fifelad55 said:

Let me clarify a point here please. I entered Thailand on a multiple entry non O visa on 2005 and have extended it for 365 days ever since then.

Just to be clear, you've been extending your permission of stay each year, not the Visa.

The Visa expired on it's enter before date.

Extensions are permits not Visas.

Do I need health insurance when I next extend this in 2 or 3 months?

No, the proposal for mandatory health insurance applies solely to new applications at Thai Embassies/Consulates for the long stay Non Imm O-A Visas.

Also a friend is visiting Thailand for 4 weeks later this year on a visa exempt basis. He has just been diagnosed with lung cancer. He does not plan on taking out insurance. Could this give him a problem ehen trying to enter the country?

No problem with entry, however it would be irresponsible for him not to take Travel Insurance covering medical expenses.

Edited by Tanoshi

2 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

No you cannot,unless you earn 18600 pounds a year,most pemsioners in the UK do not. And thats just the start.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

What's Bht 65k x 12 in GBP?

6 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

What's Bht 65k x 12 in GBP?

At todays BKK exchange rate £19,413.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tanoshi said:

At todays BKK exchange rate £19,413.

Thanks. I was just being a bit sarky in reply to Bigun's statement that one needed GBP 18600 to take your family to settle in UK, which is a true statement.

3 hours ago, Mango Bob said:

Somebody explain to me why the insurance doesn't apply for an extension of stay but only when you get an 0/A visa.

An extension of stay is;

1. Applied for at local Immigration.

2. Temporary.

3. A permit, not a Visa.

A The Non O-A Visa is;

1. Applied for at Thai Embassies/Consulates.

2. A long stay Visa type.

14 hours ago, Leaver said:

What health policy in Australia covers you in Thailand?

Do you mean a travel insurance policy, purchased in Australia?

19 hours ago, Dania2019 said:

The government just want people out of Thailand. They don`t care about us and have no sense for doing right. Insurance for visitors is right, but for us that use all our money here, is very bad doing, and af 80 years it is finish to make insurance if you didn't make it in many year. Price for peple near 80 years is 91.000,- Baht. 

And this didn`t compare with the rules for getting retirement Visa or married Visa.  

What insurance is only 91000 ? I can't find one under 440000 73 years no issues

1 minute ago, Tanoshi said:

An extension of stay is;

1. Applied for at local Immigration.

2. Temporary.

3. A permit, not a Visa.

A The Non O-A Visa is;

1. Applied for at Thai Embassies/Consulates.

2. A long stay Visa type.

so you dont know either

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Just to be clear, you've been extending your permission of stay each year, not the Visa.

The Visa expired on it's enter before date.

Extensions are permits not Visas.

No, the proposal for mandatory health insurance applies solely to new applications at Thai Embassies/Consulates for the long stay Non Imm O-A Visas.

No problem with entry, however it would be irresponsible for him not to take Travel Insurance covering medical expenses.

you dont know that for sure

6 minutes ago, AYJAYDEE said:

you dont know that for sure

Yes I do because I've understood the press statements, those by Thai Visa Protect and the Insurance providers who will be offering the Policies.

It clearly states it's only applicable to long term Non O-A Visa applicants.

If you can't get your fickle brain around that fact and want to make believe this in any way concerns extension applications submitted at local Immigration offices, you obviously don't understand the proposal put forward by the Thai cabinet.

If you know different, please post an extract from any statement made by the press or Health minister that states it affects 'temporary permission of stay permit applications'.

9 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Yes I do because I've understood the press statements, those by Thai Visa Protect and the Insurance providers who will be offering the Policies.

It clearly states it's only applicable to long term Non O-A Visa applicants.

If you can't get your fickle brain around that fact and want to make believe this in any way concerns extension applications submitted at local Immigration offices, you obviously don't understand the proposal put forward by the Thai cabinet.

If you know different, please post an extract from any statement made by the press or Health minister that states it affects 'temporary permission of stay permit applications'.

the press wouldnt know and the health ministry used the wrong wording no matter what group it applies to. and the things that have been said so far mention something more than Non O-A alone. So, like you, I dont know either

3 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

No you cannot,unless you earn 18600 pounds a year,most pemsioners in the UK do not. And thats just the start.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Well, there is always social welfare. 

Don't tell me, pensioners in UK are starving.