Transport Minister opens Pattaya’s new pedestrian bridge

rooster59

Transport Minister opens Pattaya’s new pedestrian bridge

tewit kemtong

411281c72f98adf2e8bf9aac5db6d026.jpg

BANGKOK, 17 May 2019 (NNT) - Transport Minister Arkhom Termpittayapaisith has presided over the opening ceremony of a Central Pattaya pedestrian bridge outside the Redemptorist Foundation for People With Disabilities, in Chonburi province.

Department of Rural Roads Director General Kritchathep Simali and Pattaya City Mayor Sonthaya Khunpluem welcomed the transport minister.

The Department of Rural Roads director general reported that his agency had built the Central Pattaya underpass which opened to traffic in August 2017 to alleviate traffic congestion on Sukhumvit Road and promote tourist safety measures in the neighborhood of the Central Pattaya intersection. The department has focused on the promotion of a better quality of life and convenience for the disabled and has built the pedestrian bridge for the disabled above the underpass outside the Redemptorist Foundation. A translucent elevator is provided at the pedestrian bridge for the disabled who no longer need to board a minibus just to cross the road.

The 42.78-meter-long pedestrian bridge and translucent elevator is so passers-by can see the disabled using it and help in case of emergency. The elevator has a panel of Braille buttons, a bell, a telephone and a CCTV camera linked with the Central Pattaya control tower. A siren warning system and UPS reserve power system have also been installed at both levels of the bridge. The 14.58 million baht construction of the pedestrian bridge has been completed and it is now open for public use.

nnt_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright nnt 2019-05-18

Oh dear, lack of priorities again.  As far as I can see, all of the pavements are in such disrepair, or don't exist at all, that not many disabled people can get anywhere near to this new hi tech bridge.  It's all smoke and mirrors with this planning crowd. 

12 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

// not many disabled people can get anywhere near to this new hi tech bridge.  It's all smoke and mirrors with this planning crowd. 

Ridiculous comment :crying:. They did not put this bridge randomly! but in the area of Father ray Foundation and the big Redemptorist Foundation for People With Disabilities. I always see many of these poor people on wheelchair in this area of Sukhumvit and the nearby Soi Paniad Chiand.

12 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

Ridiculous comment :crying:. They did not put this bridge randomly! but in the area of Father ray Foundation and the big Redemptorist Foundation for People With Disabilities. I always see many of these poor people on wheelchair in this area of Sukhumvit and the nearby Soi Paniad Chiand.

so why is my comment Ridiculous?  This is one very small location, there are so many others in Pattaya where you can expect to see many more disabled people than in this location, like close to the three hospitals for example. Have you ever seen the many wheel chair users on the soi next to Central Big C, trying to negotiate the traffic with no pavement whatsoever.  How do the disabled get across Beach Road, or Second Road in safety, answer they can't. Your comment shows why this kind of PR planning gets plaudits, from people who just don't get it.  The officials will now sit back on their backsides and say that they have done the job, which they haven't come close to doing, or even plan to do. It's as close to an expensive political PR stunt as you can get.  

15 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Have you ever seen the many wheel chair users on the soi next to Central Big C, trying to negotiate the traffic with no pavement whatsoever. 

This Soi is the Soi Paniad Chiang I cited in my previous post. :wink:

And BTW I reacted to your post because it seems to say that this bridge will be nearly useless for wheelchair people. It will not. :smile:

48 minutes ago, Paul Robson said:

The gradient of those ramps you can see look rather steep for wheelchair access ?

I think you will find those are the steps.

There is an elevator on each side of the road

46 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Oh dear, lack of priorities again.  As far as I can see, all of the pavements are in such disrepair, or don't exist at all, that not many disabled people can get anywhere near to this new hi tech bridge.  It's all smoke and mirrors with this planning crowd. 

But the lawn is well kept, for the photo shoot anyway  :whistling:

15 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

And BTW I reacted to your post because it seems to say that this bridge will be nearly useless for wheelchair people. It will not. :smile:

Not at all, it will of course be useful, my comment was about priorities and the need for  longer term infrastructure planning for the disabled, and incidentally, for everyone else. I would have been a tad more impressed if the opening had been followed by the announcement of a longer term plan. 

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

so many others in Pattaya where you can expect to see many more disabled people than in this location,

The ramp into immigration on soi 5 is at an impossible angle.

How about opening a plain & simple pedestrian bridge over 2nd Rd, across from the Avenue, so walking tourists and locals don’ have to perform the “chicken crossing the road act” maneuvering between songtaews, speeding cars and “ting-tong” motorbike drivers going the wrong way????

4 hours ago, Paul Robson said:

The gradient of those ramps you can see look rather steep for wheelchair access ?

Those are pedestrian stairs not ramps but there are elevators/lifts at both ends of the bridge for wheelchair users and those with mobility problems that cannot use steps, if the lifts can be kept maintained and functional.

4 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

A wheelchair path was constructed on Soi Paniad Chang (aka Soi Yume) from Pattaya Neua (opposite the bus station) down to Big C Extra (Pattaya Klang) some years ago, in response to wheelchair users being killed or receiving a further disability.  Sadly, there are many cars, motorcycles, trash cans and other obstacles blocking this wheelchair path, thereby forcing wheelchair users to use the roadway further away from the kerbside and putting users at a greater risk of being hit by vehicles than previously.

4 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Paniad Chang that runs on the eastside of Big C Extra in Pattaya is a great example. There is a school for the disabled and the wheelchair bound students are forced into the streets. There is a marked lane for wheelchair use, but as in all things, the selfish scooter/car drivers and vendors have taken it over. This photo op is a great ego booster for some, but does little for a city-wide embarrasement when it comes to equal access for the disabled.

16 hours ago, sykray said:

Those are pedestrian stairs not ramps but there are elevators/lifts at both ends of the bridge for wheelchair users and those with mobility problems that cannot use steps, if the lifts can be kept maintained and functional.

Bet they aren't working before the month is out. How many steps are there to be negotiated to get into the lifts? 

Archived