WHO praises "crusading" Thailand for 40% rise in tax on cigarettes - even if it was deferred

rooster59

WHO praises "crusading" Thailand for 40% rise in tax on cigarettes - even if it was deferred

who.JPG

Image: Daily News

Thailand has been praised by a World Heath Organisation representative for its actions in discouraging smoking. 

And it has been revealed that 8,000 people die in Thailand per year from second hand smoke alone.

Dr Daniel Kertesz was speaking at an event at the Rama Gardens hotel to mark World No Tobacco Day that falls on Friday 31st of May. 

Dr Kertesz said that raising tobacco tax 40% across the board was the best way forward to stop more people from taking up smoking and stopping those that already do. 

This was originally  the Thai plan from this October. However due to representations from farmers it was deferred for a year to October 2020. 

Next year the cheapest pack of twenty will be around 90 baht. For now it remains around 60.

Rolling tobacco is however facing the earlier increase to bring the cost more in line with regular cigarettes. 

The WHO website praises Thailand for "leading the crusade against tobacco". 

They said that a plain packaging initiative will be introduced in September of this year - a world first for a low to mid-income country. No colors or brand names will be allowed on packaging.

Dr Prakit of an anti smoking group in Thailand said at the meeting that in 2017 more than 72,000 people died in Thailand from smoking related diseases. 

More than 8,000 people a year die in the country from second hand smoke, he said. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-05-18

6 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Dr Kertesz said that raising tobacco tax 40% across the board was the best way forward to stop more people from taking up smoking and stopping those that already do. 

After vaping, but no profit for the Thai Tobacco Monopoly in that.

Next year the cheapest pack of twenty will be around 90 baht. For now it remains around 60.

That's a 50% increase, so how can just the tax increase by 40% ?

The WHO website praises Thailand for "leading the crusade against tobacco".

Other Countries have long ago introduce similar measures. How is Thailand leading the crusade? It is following.

No colors or brand names will be allowed on packaging.

No brand names? So how will you know what you are smoking? 

More than 8,000 people a year die in the country from second hand smoke, he said.

How do they know?

Couldn't being one of the countries with the highest level of air pollution be a contributory factor?

37 minutes ago, loong said:

That's a 50% increase, so how can just the tax increase by 40% ?

Other Countries have long ago introduce similar measures. How is Thailand leading the crusade? It is following.

No brand names? So how will you know what you are smoking? 

How do they know?

Couldn't being one of the countries with the highest level of air pollution be a contributory factor?

Haven't been on beach road for years but I remember the last time sitting waiting for a mate to turn up all I seemed to be breathing was exhaust fumes from buses and pick-ups sitting parked up with engines running. That I reckon is a lot worse than tobacco smoke.

Conversation goes like this.

Doctor.   Sorry to tell you that you have cancer.

Joe.   But I've never smoked in my life.

Doctor.   Do any of of your friends smoke?

Joe.     Some of them.

Doctor.    Ah 2nd hand smoke cancer.

Joe.  Do I have time left to burn the rest of my sugar cane crop and spray insecticide on my farm?

Doctor.   Yes, just don't go near any smokers.

Another idiot who does not know that most of the cancer deaths are caused by the poison allowed the travel in the air in Thailand. And the poison allowed by the farmers to spray over the land. ThaiVisa knows about this problem but just followers what is said by some hight up.

but what can we really expect 

4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Thailand has been praised by a World Heath Organisation representative for its actions in discouraging smoking. 

I can't believe it, medicines (Cannabis) are strictly regulated, cigarettes can be bought and smoked, that world.
Let's stop with these fakes!

2 hours ago, Danny Crane said:

If they legalize vaping they will give Thai people an easier option to quit cigarettes. Worked for me for over 3 years now (except when I holiday there ????).

So true, but as you can see people who smoke spend more money, and all that tax money goes to pay for new submarines, tanks, armored vehicles, fighter jets, ....

smoking-vs-vaping-comparison.jpg

6 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Why not ban cigarettes altogether?  

Because they are a money-maker for the corporations who sell highly addictive cigarettes to their addicts, the health care industry makes a killing from treating the health issues of cigarette addicts, and the government gets to tax cigarette addicts to death, while they are living that is.  

Personally I don't think the WHO gives a rip about the health of the population.  If they really cared, they be demanding a ban - but they don't.  So it's just hot air and malarkey. 

From what I hear the prices will continue to rise over the next few years until they are no longer affordable.
Thai Tobacco Monopoly will take over the Ganja biz and revenue from Ganja will replace Tobacco.

Yes, get poor people addicted to nicotine, and then tax them!!

Educate, restrict advertising, enforce penalties for sale to minors, restrict public smocking........and if you are concern about public health and smoke, Stop the burning of fields, and open air garbage burning.

7 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Still get the Khmer Texas and 5star coming in through UTPao at 300 a carton...wont stop anyone, look at UK and the beer/fag runners

And Klong Thoey and all the oder ports and all the land borders.. Thai Tobacco will loose a lot of money, but there won't be much less smokers.

Until they consider legalising vaping as a viable alternative, any hikes are purely aimed at raking in more cash.

If vaping is banned, then smoking should be banned ten times more strongly...

Archived