BANGKOK 20 May 2019 05:50
rooster59

Germany designates BDS Israel boycott movement as anti-Semitic

4 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

I have been a proud member of BDS for a few years now. It aims to fight against the anti-Palestinian policies of the Israeli government. Their policies are racist and apartheid and like South Africa 30 to 50 years ago should be subject to sanctions. 

I personally have not bought anything made in Israel for many years now. When I discovered that Apple use some Israeli parts in their iPhones and computers, I stopped buying Apple as well. 

IT really is time to settle this conflict equitably and the only equitable way is a two state solution with Israel returning all annexed land.

I'm sure you're proud, but also not particularly informed. The amount of Israeli-related stuff in tech and medicine makes it quite difficult to avoid all related products. People into this nonsense usually focus on the more obvious, or convenient objects. Let's just say that not buying anything made in Israel doesn't really cover it. But whatever gets you through the day.

With regard to BDS rhetoric and politics, it usually inhabits the more extreme version of "solutions" - with a strong showing of half-cooked one-state notions. In the same manner, it is rather hard to claim wishing for peaceful, cooperative solutions when engaging in the sort of extreme rhetoric such as appearing in the post above.  

As for the German decision - I wouldn't label all BDS efforts and activists as being about antisemitism. There's obviously quite a lot of that, yes - but bundling everyone together is usually a bad move.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

About time. BDS and it's supporters are almost all anti-Semitic. The entire organization reeks of it.

Israel tried that before - many times - and every time they did they paid with blood as the Palestinians don't want a two-state solution. They want a ONE state solution, without Jews. And so does BDS.

Israel does what it does for security reasons, not apartheid or a desire to "rule" Palestinians. The average Israeli couldn't care less about the occupied territories EXCEPT that they are being used to launch attacks (rockets) against Israel on a regular basis. 20% of Israel's citizens are Muslim arabs, and a few percent are Christian as well. None are persecuted or discriminated against on a systemic level, and they are free to work and move about as any other citizen. Israel is the only real democracy in the region, and Israeli-Arab citizens have their own political parties and MPs in the government.

There are quite a few Jews, and even Israelis supporting the BDS movement. Does that make them anti-Semites?

Regardless of what the Palestinians may want, or what the BDS movement might push, Israel didn't quite "tried that before", certainly not many times. Employing a false narrative to counter a false narrative is not really helpful.

And no, the currently occupied Palestinian territories (ie, the West Bank) are not used to launch rocket attacks against Israel. There originate from the Gaza Strip, which isn't occupied by Israeli forces. There's quite a lot to be said about this, but probably not directly related to BDS-Germany thing.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, up-country_sinclair said:

The BDS movement is not anti-semitic, and this designation is clearly the handiwork of Israeli lobbyists.  Money talks in politics. It's all about the Benjamins.

There's enough convergence to make your own wholesale comment about as accurate as labeling all BDS supporters as anti-Semites. And in case there was a doubt where you stand, there goes the meme. Not expecting you'll actually bother to substantiate it, but eh...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Morch said:

There are quite a few Jews, and even Israelis supporting the BDS movement. Does that make them anti-Semites?

There are some Jews/Israelis who oppose the being of the Israeli state for Religious reasons , *Israel shouldnt be in existence until the Messiah returns and leads to the creation of an Israeli Jewish state* or whatever .

That is their reason for opposing the being of a current Israeli state .

Why would a German oppose the current Israeli state ?

• Confused 2

4 minutes ago, sanemax said:

There are some Jews/Israelis who oppose the being of the Israeli state for Religious reasons , *Israel shouldnt be in existence until the Messiah returns and leads to the creation of an Israeli Jewish state* or whatever .

Those are not the Jews Morch is referring to. I doubt the Haredim care one way or anothe about BDS. Here is one link, There are plenty of others

https://jewishvoiceforpeace.org/jvp-supports-the-bds-movement/

Edited by bristolboy
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Somehow doubt this refers to the majority of Jews/Israelis who support the BDS. Nor does it explain if Jews holding such religious views are anti-Semites, or what to make of all them Jewish/Israeli BDS supporters who don't belong with such groups. No idea what your ending question got to do with my post, sorry.

• Like 1