Where is the best area in Pattaya to stay?

Chas Wanledear

Just a general question. I have been looking around Pattaya, Jomtien, Naklua and across on the Darkside. I have only been here on holiday in the past, but now going to stay here for a year starting in July. I am lucky I can work from home so not worried about getting to or from an office etc.... So where is best to live, I don't care about girly bars etc, yes they are fun and enjoyable but not a necessity. I like Jomtien and like Darkside. Been looking around on property websites and there are lots of places available for a years rent.

Is there anywhere people can recommend or places to avoid?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The "Darkside" worked well for me, spent 15 years living there, the "madness" of downtown is just a drive away when you want it, need to have your own transport though, preferably four wheels.

8 minutes ago, CGW said:

The "Darkside" worked well for me, spent 15 years living there, the "madness" of downtown is just a drive away when you want it, need to have your own transport though, preferably four wheels.

Jomtien is good...convenient for wild evenings when feeling the urge...

19 minutes ago, mike787 said:

Jomtien is good...convenient for wild evenings when feeling the urge...

I lived in Jomtien for about two years before moving to the Darkside, 98 - 2000, it was quite back then, very few bars or decent restaurants.

35 minutes ago, madmen said:

Jomtien. Not far by baht bus and fairly quite

Not always the case with the baht bus from Jomtien to Central.

On a Friday or Saturday evening you can sit in the thing for an hour before arrival.  All the while sucking up the exhaust of buses and other vehicles.

I would choose Pratumnak and recommend the OP get a motorbike wherever he decides.

6 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Its a personal choice, i like beyond 3rd road which makes central Pattaya walkable. I don't fancy Naklua or Jomtien. Pratamak isn't a bad choice between central and Jomtien

I could not beat pratamnak. Quiet sea vuew condo to live and work, you have a nice uncrowded beach right there, yet walking distance or baht bus to downtown. The problem is, it felt to quiet and desolate knowing the wild downtown scene was right there.

I recall looking up at a empty condo building and saying to mysf 'is this it? Retirement, the end of the line, and becoming depressed, but thats another story.

The question is, as always, what do "you" want?

7 minutes ago, fhickson said:

I could not beat pratamnak. Quiet sea vuew condo to live and work, you have a nice uncrowded beach right there, yet walking distance or baht bus to downtown.

Quiet for sure, and I would even say dead as soon as the night arrives :sad:

Most Pratamnak is not on or near a bahtbus route and very few people would choose to walk to Pattaya: 2-3 km going up and down the hill ! You must have a bike if you stay in this area.

4 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

There is a soi in naklua, maybe Soi12, that lead to some temple of truth or something.

I loved that area....visited someone who had a nice bungalow there. Was lovely

I lived on that Soi in 97, the area was nice - problem was, even back then the traffic! getting back onto the main road was "challenging" that was the main reason I moved out to Jomtien.

The problem is, it felt to quiet and desolate knowing the wild downtown scene was right there.

I recall looking up at a empty condo building and saying to mysf 'is this it? Retirement, the end of the line, and becoming depressed,

I can understand all that, the "felt too quiet" thing puts me off, that's why i like best being walking distance to central, with life around me

On 5/18/2019 at 3:02 PM, madmen said:

Jomtien. Not far by baht bus and fairly quite

A huge big pain in the ass to take a songtaew there and back. Big queues of people at South Pattaya Rd intersection, so many Russians and the traffic jam to get there sometimes is very bad.

On 5/18/2019 at 3:37 PM, KC 71 said:

Walking Street emoji2.png

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Beach Rd, so you can have oceanfront views and views of all the hookers standing around waiting for customers.

A huge big pain in the ass to take a songtaew there and back. Big queues of people at South Pattaya Rd intersection, so many Russians and the traffic jam to get there sometimes is very bad.
Yeah high season is the big drawback. Russians storming the baht bus as if it were the last one on the planet

20 hours ago, mike787 said:

I second that...its excellent 24/7

girl2.jpg

WS may now be the biggest rip off commercialized tourist trap in the entire country. Definitely in Pattaya.

Many people have no clue and know no better.

But, if that is what one likes and is looking for, go enjoy...

My general view is that you want to be on the fringe of central pattaya and on or very near the baht bus route.

Central pattaya itself to expensive for anything decent and the craziness could get tiresome but lots of food options.

Jomtien seems to be more elderly people and its a ways from pattaya.

Naklua rd is ok within a couple of km's of Terminal 21 roundabout but in my opinion it gets a bit too Thai if you go deeper than that. The food options can be frustrating sometimes.

Dark side too far.

Someone mentioned third road - That could also be an ok option if near the baht bus route.

Just don't be one of these guys who lives in a crappy old apartment paying marked up electricity and water fees. Condos usually cost less and are often new and have gyms, pools and government rates for utilities.

I would be looking for condos in Third road, Naklua or North pattaya.

PM me if you need contacts.

I live at the Lumpini Naklua-Wongamat complex off Naklua Road. It is very quiet and on a baht bus route making it very close to the beach, T21 and a host of bars and restaurants in Naklua and beyond. There is a variety of condos to rent long term. It is worth a look IMO.

Just now, champers said:

I live at the Lumpini Naklua-Wongamat complex off Naklua Road. It is very quiet and on a baht bus route making it very close to the beach, T21 and a host of bars and restaurants in Naklua and beyond. There is a variety of condos to rent long term. It is worth a look IMO.

Agree. They have rentals advertised in front office although you can get cheaper deals if you find the agent yourself.

On 5/18/2019 at 8:59 AM, Delight said:

Can you drive a motor scooter?

If not that could limit your options

So areas such as Soi Bua Khao  would work if you cannot drive a motor scooter

Everything  is located on that street

Except sidewalks.

...and scooter parking places.

Do non tourists go to the beach?

It really depends on your taste and needs.Coming to Pattaya for 20 years now, I found my home away from home near the silver place (where I originally stayed) on 3rd street.Everything on walking distance.Fair price for room per month.Atmosphere very relaxed.I made friends with everybody around me.(I like beeing polite).Can have a quiet evening with people around me, can go downtown 'going out' .Most of my Thai friends went downtown with me for the first time in their life,( a 2 minute walk)since they understand it as a jungle.Sincerity is well respected.

Archived