What was your best use of money ever in Thailand?

This could be for tourists, expats, or whatever.

It could be the thing you bought that you got the most practical use of over a long period of time (for example a La-Z-Boy reclining chair), or it could be just an experience you paid for that gave you an extraordinary amount of pleasure (like dinner at Gaggan). 

Sex tourism stuff off limits here.

You might want to post how much you paid for the thing or experience in Thailand and an explanation of why you consider that it was the best use of your money ever here.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

It could be the thing you bought that you got the most practical use of over a long period of time

Best use of money ever in Thailand,

My Thai wife, 100Kbht cash paid in advance to her mom (plus running expenses).

Shagged me as much as I wanted and produced my best son.

Worst use of money ever in the UK,

My Brit wife, 30Mbht paid in arrears to her (plus running expenses). 

Hardly shagged me at all and I never saw my kids again.

Paying 75,000 Baht for a 22 year old diesel Mighty X, 4 years ago. It was in pretty good nick after working in a local fabrication factory (surprisingly). It helped build a house out in the sticks, and then helped a great deal in a 200km house move. Still going strong (touch wood).

Some highly predictable posts and replies have been removed, please read the OP before you post: 

Sex tourism stuff off limits here.

For me,  the best money I ever spent here was 7000 baht for a bicycle.    I have really enjoyed it, and it has kept me young and spry.  I was able to get out on my own and really see things the right way.

I used to walk alot,  but it is hard to do so in the heat and sun.

being the only white guy in the area,  you really stand out and people want to engage and talk etc.  

But on a bicycle,  you are going too fast,  so you can get some solitary time and not be noticed.  You can see and experience things easier...and you stay much cooler than walking.

34 minutes ago, CGW said:

Without a doubt, "my house" important to me to have my own space and creature comforts ???? 

How is that your house? This is the worst use of your money. Talk to me again when Thais take all.

4 minutes ago, Pravda said:

How is that your house? This is the worst use of your money. Talk to me again when Thais take all.

My house in the UK was great until my wife kicked me out.

When you live with a woman you never own your home, so best to rent, and let the landlord deal with your woman.

Congratulations, first time this week the "Thai's will take it" subject has come up - really? after 31 years here...

Not a big deal anyway I have enough for another ????

Really, so in farangland you spend 10 times the amount on a house and they all live happily ever after......?  ????

2 minutes ago, transam said:

Really, so in farangland you spend 10 times the amount on a house and they all live happily ever after......?  ????

Guess he is judging by the standards he lives his life and the people he associates with :blush:

1 minute ago, JimSaints said:

One way ticket with Singapore Airlines from BKK to Europe - never have to deal with Thai Immigration is just heaven, not to mention a more pleasant climate and cheaper prices on basicly everything

I agree with the bit about thai immigration/police but a bit puzzled on prices.  Things are cheaper here if you know where to shop.  Maybe not by much but they're cheaper

I think the best use of money over here in Thailand was when I bought my wife lots of gold jewelry when I first came out, cause now it's real expensive. It's not really going to help me as I bought it for her, but it always helps knowing that she's got that nest egg if anything hits the fan.

gold.jpg

OK, here's mine.

I warned before that it was boring.

Soon after I moved here I bought a home exercise rowing machine. Low - Middle range, wouldn't impress a serious gym rat at all. About 35K baht.

I've used it religiously and it still works as new. 

I think it's logical to give using it some or even a lot of credit for promoting my health. 

So it's no contest for that to be the best use of my money in Thailand.

A lot of people buy such equipment and either don't use it, or it breaks quickly. Same with gym memberships -- pay but don't go. 

Archived