What was your best use of money ever in Thailand?

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

OK, here's mine.

I warned before that it was boring.

Soon after I moved here I bought a home exercise rowing machine. Low - Middle range, wouldn't impress a serious gym rat at all. About 35K baht.

I've used it religiously and it still works as new. 

I think it's logical to give using it some or even a lot of credit for promoting my health. 

So it's no contest for that to be the best use of my money in Thailand.

A lot of people buy such equipment and either don't use it, or it breaks quickly. Same with gym memberships -- pay but don't go. 

Well that was disappointing......????

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

we underestimate the power of being social.  a gym membership is 1000000000x better than something you use in your house, alone, alone, and alone.  the brain isn't wired for such loneliness activity.  but it's ok.  

best money i spent was a ticket to a place with good air.  

NEW REPORT TODAY:   POLLUTION affects every organ in your body, and it's all negative.

be healthy out there.  

22 minutes ago, SenorJorge said:

Things are cheaper here if you know where to shop.  Maybe not by much but they're cheaper

Let us in on the secret? start with buying a kilo of butter & Cheese - please!

7 minutes ago, XenZen said:

we underestimate the power of being social.  a gym membership is 1000000000x better than something you use in your house, alone, alone, and alone.  the brain isn't wired for such loneliness activity.  but it's ok.  

best money i spent was a ticket to a place with good air.  

NEW REPORT TODAY:   POLLUTION affects every organ in your body, and it's all negative.

be healthy out there.  

Like I said, gym rats won't be impressed. You do you. 

1 minute ago, Briggsy said:

Not in Thailand you didn't!

Well deduced, but as luck would have it, I am in another time zone right now.

But good detective work, even though you didn't think the problem through (that maybe I am out of Thailand at this time).

My GED certificate.  It took a long time to get it because the Maths paper is insanely hard.  Advanced algebra, physics, number scales the whole deal.

How many numbers are there between 4 and 5?

The Social Studies, Science and English were easy.

Now I can go to university.

I hate to say it but the thai fascination with gold jewelry is really not very smart.  Even 24 carat gold has horrible resale value.  I was an egotistical superfluous moron obsessed with money and luxury goods years and years ago.  I had a spiritual reawakening and decided to sell it all off.  I no longer needed to project myself in that fashion. The gold brokers wouldn't give me a fraction of what it was really worth.  I ended up selling it myself and taking a fifty percent hit off the market (SCRAP!) VALUE!!!  Bullion and solid coins are the only things worth a damn.  I hope your lady can use it if she's ever in a jam.  But gold jewelry is really only worth the sentiment.

3 minutes ago, johnray said:

My GED certificate.  It took a long time to get it because the Maths paper is insanely hard.  Advanced algebra, physics, number scales the whole deal.

How many numbers are there between 4 and 5?

The Social Studies, Science and English were easy.

Now I can go to university.

I Christmas treed it and passed.  I think the machine was broken that day.  I'm happy for you brother.  You schooling here in thailand?  Good luck

I hate to say it but the thai fascination with gold jewelry is really not very smart.  Even 24 carat gold has horrible resale value.  I was an egotistical superfluous moron obsessed with money and luxury goods years and years ago.  I had a spiritual reawakening and decided to sell it all off.  I no longer needed to project myself in that fashion. The gold brokers wouldn't give me a fraction of what it was really worth.  I ended up selling it myself and taking a fifty percent hit off the market (SCRAP!) VALUE!!!  Bullion and solid coins are the only things worth a damn.  I hope your lady can use it if she's ever in a jam.  But gold jewelry is really only worth the sentiment.

What are you talking about? Thai gold is 97.5% pure. You can sell it for a standard set price, now 19,300 baht for a BAHT weight of gold. You don't haggle a price. That is the set price. It's set by the stock exchange. You obviously know nothing about Thai gold and sounds like someone might have ripped you off along the way. 50% off, scrap value, ha ha ha. Nuts.

5 minutes ago, Pravda said:

Best use of money: A ticket to Thailand.

Worst use of money: A ticket to Thailand.

The more I think about it the more I think you should probably consider a trip to the farms in Colombia.  Warm during the day and cool at night.  No ac required.  Respectful locals as long as you show the same to them.  Stunners everywhere

79 Baht on a meter radius about 1.2 meter length concrete drainage pipe. Obviously when I purchased it for the water nobody knew how I would use it!! I up ended it and sat our water tank on it as a temporary measure while we built the house, leaned a bit as set on gravel, was pleasantly surprised when the house was completed there it remained, reset vertical on a concrete base. Testament to my lateral thinking and providing enough water pressure for all our requirements.

Gotta be one of the cheapest water towers ever created

23 minutes ago, Wilsonandson said:

What are you talking about? Thai gold is 97.5% pure. You can sell it for a standard set price, now 19,300 baht for a BAHT weight of gold. You don't haggle a price. That is the set price. It's set by the stock exchange. You obviously know nothing about Thai gold and sounds like someone might have ripped you off along the way. 50% off, scrap value, ha ha ha. Nuts.

This was in farangland not here.  Old stuff, like 40+ years old.  Was told it was junk by over 50 brokers.  "Unsellable vintage garbage gold", one bloke told me.  Just how it was.  I didn't care.  I wanted money for plane tickets and got it.

6 minutes ago, 473geo said:

79 Baht on a meter radius about 1.2 meter length concrete drainage pipe. Obviously when I purchased it for the water nobody knew how I would use it!! I up ended it and sat our water tank on it as a temporary measure while we built the house, leaned a bit as set on gravel, was pleasantly surprised when the house was completed there it remained, reset vertical on a concrete base. Testament to my lateral thinking and providing enough water pressure for all our requirements.

Gotta be one of the cheapest water towers ever created

1.2m high? that gives you 1.6 Psi water pressure - without pressure losses, obviously you don't need a lot of water pressure :shock1:

Maybe the tank is 20' in height?

This was in farangland not here.  Old stuff, like 40+ years old.  Was told it was junk by over 50 brokers.  "Unsellable vintage garbage gold", one bloke told me.  Just how it was.  I didn't care.  I wanted money for plane tickets and got it.

Oh, sorry I didn't know. Drunk to much coffee today. I get a little cranky. Ha, ha. Thanks for clearing that up. [emoji106]

45 minutes ago, Wilsonandson said:

100% true. The other guy is talking utter rubbish. 

3 minutes ago, CGW said:

1.2m high? that gives you 1.6 Psi water pressure - without pressure losses, obviously you don't need a lot of water pressure :shock1:

Maybe the tank is 20' in height?

Don't need a lot of pressure house is single storey all taps are below the base level of the tank. waters runs well, wide pipe feeds into smaller pipes, little distance to travel, switch to the pump if more pressure is required which admitted makes for a better shower (gravity shower) if the tank is getting low.

Works for us - when it doesn't we will rethink it, but for now all good. I know when we build an additional bedroom and shower room, my wife wants this one raised off the ground so may need a rethink

For now I think the 79 baht was well spent.

2 hours ago, faraday said:

6000 baht on a Jack Russell puppy. The fun & happiness that he brings to me & my wife is wonderful.

I bought the wife a Jack Russell puppy.

He's mostly black and brown with small patches of white.

She's called him England.

Bought a Yamaha TTX from a farang about 8 years ago, 8300 km on the odometer. Paid 23,000 baht for it. Still going strong at 19,000 km. Highly useful for getting around Chiang Mai while cars struggle to make headway. It'll probably be a bargain for someone else after I leave here or cark it.

48 minutes ago, SenorJorge said:

All gold is billions of years old. There is no 'new' gold.

There is a small niche market growing for old rolex watches with that said, though.  But it's super small and those watches are hard to keep ticking.  The watches are small too.  Men wore tiny watches back then.  I like my ss casio

Archived