What was your best use of money ever in Thailand?

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Jingthing said:

You might want to post how much you paid for the thing or experience in Thailand and an explanation of why you consider that it was the best use of your money ever here.

The cost of securement is not important my Thai wife will not want for anything when I peg it.

My UK family also can take advantage with holidays or for long stay if they wish in the future. 

The Sin Sod money I gave my in-laws and the wedding we paid for. It set a good tone at the start of our marriage with her parents and siblings. At 37 my wife finally fulfilled the traditional rural Thai expectations as the only daughter and the village got a modest wedding as any Thai to Thai commoners would provide.

We splurged ฿1200 I think for an ice cream vendor which was well received and I went through the tables with a liter of Crown Royal pouring a sip for anyone daring to take a shot of farang whiskey. It was mostly the elderly who were happy to take a drink.

The attendees were quite generous with the money given to the newlyweds which told me her family was well liked and respected and I split it 50/25/25 wife my wife,mil and fil in that order. The in-laws were surprised they didn’t get it all as they had paid in to all the other people’s functions for forty years and were now being rewarded but I told my wife it was our money and they can have half. They got over it.

The biggest reason the money was well spent was my mil controlled most of the sin sod and went on a capital improvements mission of their house which hadn’t had repairs in thirty years since it was built.

She had stored materials to contribute and lifted the second story with framing, siding, soffits and replaced the leaky roof. Built a covered front porch and installed double doors where there was a single. Installed tile in two rooms and bathroom that were bare concrete. She extended a covered breezeway area where they eat and she does here cloth loom weaving and crafts to make money above her rice farming. Next there was the detached kitchen and cooking building and a well pump at her fish/irrigation pond.

She started all of this with less than ฿200k after papa got his cut but spent the money wisely, called in her favors and put her rice and crafts money with it for almost two years to whip the place into shape and have a very modest, functional and dry home for their later years.

Good that she was driven and did this when she had time as papa never helped much before other than tend his cows but sure won’t be helping now as he had a stroke and is paralyzed on the right side. Most of her time goes to feeding, bathing, diapering and trying to figure out what he’s asking for with his unclear speech.

The money didn’t pay for it all but it gave her the lift to get started and she followed through which makes me feel good every Sunday when we bring some food and cook, eat and visit with them.

Wow.. Big sinsod.  How much was she making before you married her?  I paid for the dad's bad knee and I help him out a little every month.  My dad has his own pension so he's ok.  I just hope I can get over to see him soon.  Visa issues are a real pita.  For me and for her.  I really need medical care in the usa too.  I think I'm going to have to go to india.  

Edit;  My best investment I guess is the engagement ring I got my wife.  She's my best friend.  Our relationship isn't "easy" but any relationship worth keeping isn't.  She's a good person and she really cares about me.  Without her I don't think anyone would here.

I bought an expensive bed about 5 years ago from homepro...hard to say if the purchase was better or the same with something similar in farangland as when I was younger I could sleep most anywhere, doorways, highway ditches or even on a mate's floor if I was lucky...

but we all get old and those days are over and my bed is the most welcoming place in the house...snuggle in with the kindle AC and the fan on and dream about some instant noodles with miso the next morning...belgian made and cost about thb20k...

for awhile afterwards the wife refused to sleep with me in the new bed in protest at what she thought was a ridiculous expense...tutsi takes another swig of vodka and sez 'oh yeah? it's all because you guys liketa sleep in a pile of rags on the goddammed floor!'...but she preferred sleeping with her grandchildren anyway even though there was room in my bed fer everyone...

Wow.. Big sinsod.  How much was she making before you married her?  I paid for the dad's bad knee and I help him out a little every month.  My dad has his own pension so he's ok.  I just hope I can get over to see him soon.  Visa issues are a real pita.  For me and for her.  I really need medical care in the usa too.  I think I'm going to have to go to india.  

Edit;  My best investment I guess is the engagement ring I got my wife.  She's my best friend.  Our relationship isn't "easy" but any relationship worth keeping isn't.  She's a good person and she really cares about me.  Without her I don't think anyone would here.

Less than $8k Sin Sod and wedding cost was far less than a dignified U.S wedding which none of her family and friends could have attended so what would be the point of having it there was my logic. The newlyweds money was over ฿50k which covered 2/3rds of the wedding cost and was a pleasant surprise coming from people I didn’t know in an Issan rice farming village. I don’t know how much she was making before we married but it was less than she was making running a pad Thai shop alone in Bangkok as the delinquent credit card notices showed up after her name and address went into the amphur registry. The ones she thought were forgiven because they didn’t know where to send the notices, lol.
We do what we can afford and it’s nice you helped her father. What goes around comes around and you’ve got her to share your life with.

11 hours ago, XenZen said:

we underestimate the power of being social.  a gym membership is 1000000000x better than something you use in your house, alone, alone, and alone.  the brain isn't wired for such loneliness activity.  but it's ok.  

best money i spent was a ticket to a place with good air.  

NEW REPORT TODAY:   POLLUTION affects every organ in your body, and it's all negative.

be healthy out there.  

you have lost the plot if you intend to socialize at the gym

10 hours ago, SenorJorge said:

I though you said she only spoke 50 words of English?

18 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Best use of money ever in Thailand,

My Thai wife, 100Kbht cash paid in advance to her mom (plus running expenses).

Shagged me as much as I wanted and produced my best son.

Worst use of money ever in the UK,

My Brit wife, 30Mbht paid in arrears to her (plus running expenses). 

Hardly shagged me at all and I never saw my kids again.

I was going to say my gf, but still yet to early to say. In 10 years, I will know. Aside of the joke, my motorbikes for sure. 

First one a Honda CB500X at 260 000,- with accessories. And my 2. Bike a 1000 versys at 580 000,- with accessories. The 3. My car a new 2018 Triton megacab, bought now at 568 000,- and 4. But not in my name, my gf pcx 150. 

But I really enjoy making my gf land now, we bought for 30 000,- bath. Redicilous cheap price, but no road, and no electricity, and the big company the state as next neighbour. We will see in the long end, how that turns out. At the moment, I really enjoy working on it. Hard days, but satisfiying. 

45 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I though you said she only spoke 50 words of English?

Despite her English ability she does a lot for me.  Everything really.  Not only that but we still use google translate.  Her English is probably closer to 75 words.  I keep trying to work with her on that but she keeps talking with me in Lao and I'm trying to break her of that.  ????

10 hours ago, KMartinHandyman said:

Less than $8k Sin Sod and wedding cost was far less than a dignified U.S wedding which none of her family and friends could have attended so what would be the point of having it there was my logic. The newlyweds money was over ฿50k which covered 2/3rds of the wedding cost and was a pleasant surprise coming from people I didn’t know in an Issan rice farming village. I don’t know how much she was making before we married but it was less than she was making running a pad Thai shop alone in Bangkok as the delinquent credit card notices showed up after her name and address went into the amphur registry. The ones she thought were forgiven because they didn’t know where to send the notices, lol.
We do what we can afford and it’s nice you helped her father. What goes around comes around and you’ve got her to share your life with.

Oh I misunderstood I thought you meant you paid 200 in sinsod.

Most important and cherished purchases:  decent hybrid (mountain/road) bicycles.  Nightly tours, and easy enough to break down to throw in the back of the fortuner, for weekend "interesting" village discoveries.

18 hours ago, JimSaints said:

One way ticket with Singapore Airlines from BKK to Europe - never have to deal with Thai Immigration is just heaven, not to mention a more pleasant climate and cheaper prices on basicly everything

Where to in Europe Jim? With all the new Imm rules here, many are looking to relocate.

Forgeting my wife ,who i did not have to pay anything for .

it was a bar girl 25 years ago ,she was the most gorgeous girl you have ever seen ,i remember sex with her was out of this world , a year in all we spent together ,it was not love ,just pure lust and we liked each other and i cannot think of anything we did not try .????

3 hours ago, rodentwarrior said:

The best money I spend in Thailand was buying a ticket to go live in the Philippines, after 7 years in Bangkok.

Just the opposite way for me after years in the PI.....Only CM, not BKK....

20 hours ago, CGW said:

Without a doubt, "my house" important to me to have my own space and creature comforts ???? 

Agree entirely, even though it's only a rented house.

Nonetheless, it's very close to my decades long 'dream' ????.

Edit for clarity - I'm not that bothered by the 'house' (which is nice enough, just not as nice as my previously owned house in the UK), it's more the location and circumstances.

Just a few steps down to the beach/quiet, with very few neighbours (and they've only recently arrived, so 'accept' me (or more accurately, my dogs) being able to 'carry on as normal'/bugger all in the way of traffic/big garden etc. etc.

Not to forget, a lovely (Thai) landlord, who reduced the rent to enable me to continue living here ????.

Archived