What was your best use of money ever in Thailand?

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, faraday said:

6000 baht on a Jack Russell puppy. The fun & happiness that he brings to me & my wife is wonderful.

Thanks for mentioning that, that was something that I would have overlooked comparing baht to bite. Over the last 10 years here I have had 3 dogs and in my case they averaged about 15,000 baht. This isn't one up-man-ship from my part; I only mentioned the price because it is something I would normally not even think about. Would sound like buying friendship and companionship to me.

But as sad as it is, I think the 2,000 baht I spent on getting one of them put to sleep, to get him put out of his misery, was to date, the best use of money in Thailand I have made.

Apols for depressing the thread a bit.

20 hours ago, BritManToo said:

My house in the UK was great until my wife kicked me out.

When you live with a woman you never own your home, so best to rent, and let the landlord deal with your woman.

I'm very sorry to hear that your wife treated you this way.

Perhaps it will cheer you up to learn that my husband of nearly 3 decades decided to do something similar to me after we retired to Thailand?

1 minute ago, dick dasterdly said:

I'm very sorry to hear that your wife treated you this way.

Perhaps it will cheer you up to learn that my husband of nearly 3 decades decided to do something similar to me after we retired to Thailand?

I never revel in other people's pain.

I'm sorry it happened to you, and offer you my deepest sympathy.

13 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

Thanks for mentioning that, that was something that I would have overlooked comparing baht to bite. Over the last 10 years here I have had 3 dogs and in my case they averaged about 15,000 baht. This isn't one up-man-ship from my part; I only mentioned the price because it is something I would normally not even think about. Would sound like buying friendship and companionship to me.

But as sad as it is, I think the 2,000 baht I spent on getting one of them put to sleep, to get him put out of his misery, was to date, the best use of money in Thailand I have made.

Apols for depressing the thread a bit.

Know what you mean ☹️.

The loss of my 'baby' whippet (on top of the loss of one of my much loved soi dogs) after a two year 'fight' to extend their lives, left me devastated and depressed.  I'm still trying (and failing) to recover from the horror of those two years or so.

1 minute ago, dick dasterdly said:

Know what you mean ☹️.

The loss of my 'baby' whippet (on top of the loss of one of my much loved soi dogs) after a two year 'fight' to extend their lives, left me devastated and depressed.  I'm still trying (and failing) to recover from the horror of those two years or so.

What happened to the trouser snake?

2 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

What happened to the trouser snake?

He died, and his moved-in g/f was very upset to eventually realise that (as his wife), I inherited everything.

She did her best though to move and hide the expensive items, whilst immediately selling the small items of value.....

When she eventually realised that she was entitled to nothing, she then tried to play the sympathy card - not only to the lawyers, but also to me......

£200k invested in a condo in Nana 4 years ago. This has risen in value (including FX) to £300k (25% growth after tax per annum). It meant I could move from Hong Kong and rent out my house there which had previously produced no income. That gives me £30k per annum after all taxes are paid. In 4 years this saving has paid for 60% of the Condo in Nana. In 3 years it will have fully paid for the property.

Now, can the "never buy in Thailand" brigade beat that?

Definitely my vasectomy at Bangkok Hospital,

when I think of the millions of THB & all the troubles it’ll save me during my lifetime...

And more recently, 2 traditional Thai genital & prostate massages from a terrific girl in Bangkok.

18 minutes ago, Rod the Sod said:

£200k invested in a condo in Nana 4 years ago. This has risen in value (including FX) to £300k (25% growth after tax per annum). It meant I could move from Hong Kong and rent out my house there which had previously produced no income. That gives me £30k per annum after all taxes are paid. In 4 years this saving has paid for 60% of the Condo in Nana. In 3 years it will have fully paid for the property.

Now, can the "never buy in Thailand" brigade beat that?

I invested in a condo in 2010 back home. I put $225,000 and today it's worth double that.

I am separating from my wife and have contacted a few agents to rent a place. They are offering me a discount from the posted price without even me asking. This is in great contrast to where I own a condo back home and people are piling up to rent it. 

I think there is a definite advantage to owning a condo in Thailand - low maintenance and no taxes. I have to pay almost 50% of my rental income back home every month.

20 hours ago, thainet said:

Well deduced, but as luck would have it, I am in another time zone right now.

But good detective work, even though you didn't think the problem through (that maybe I am out of Thailand at this time).

Or that you could have bought any alcohol you want from any of the myriads little shops attached to condos who regularly ignore rules and regs.

21 hours ago, BritManToo said:
21 hours ago, CGW said:

Let us in on the secret? start with buying a kilo of butter & Cheese - please!

Beston Cheddar 350bht/Kg at Rimping.

Butter 65bht/500gm at YoK.

Doesn't the OP live in Pattaya/Jomtiem?       Seems any food source in CM would do little to no good for him or others not near CM. 

purchasing my BDP-103 Oppo Blu-ray player.  this sits at the heart of my AV system in conjunction with my Rega gear.  superb video and audio.  the internal DAC in the Oppo is not that great, so, i use a outboard DAC by NAD from the coax output.  unfortunately they are not made anymore, but Cambridge and Pioneer make similar units the can serve as a hub.  i am a film buff.

23 hours ago, samuttodd said:

For me,  the best money I ever spent here was 7000 baht for a bicycle.    I have really enjoyed it, and it has kept me young and spry.  I was able to get out on my own and really see things the right way.

I used to walk alot,  but it is hard to do so in the heat and sun.

being the only white guy in the area,  you really stand out and people want to engage and talk etc.  

But on a bicycle,  you are going too fast,  so you can get some solitary time and not be noticed.  You can see and experience things easier...and you stay much cooler than walking.

i agree, after the OPPO BDP-103

4 hours ago, CanuckThai said:

Most important and cherished purchases:  decent hybrid (mountain/road) bicycles.  Nightly tours, and easy enough to break down to throw in the back of the fortuner, for weekend "interesting" village discoveries.

me too, with huge halogen lights so i can see the tigers

200k baht sinsod, of which my parents in law paid for our wedding party with 700 guests and they gave my wife land as well. My parents in law are very good and lovely people, always taking care of me and my family when we come over for a couple of days. In the 15 years that I know them they never asked any money. Not 1 baht. My mil even bought me a high end Samsung phone after she got some money from the lottery ????

My wife gave me 2 great kids who are now 12 and 9 years old. We are still happily married.

27 minutes ago, Jane Dough said:

around 400 baht on Mach 3 razors

You can buy the lookalike mach 3 razors on AliExpress for 1/10th of the price. There are some really good quality copies out there, but you need to try out some vendors to find a good one.

Currently though, I use the real mach 3 sensitive version, after a branch of Big C near our home decided to sell their complete stock of this version for about 50 baht per pack. Since they are normally 400 to 500 baht, needles to say I bought the complete stock what they had 555 (about 15 packs). Come to think of it, this was also very good value for money ever spent. 

On 5/18/2019 at 6:11 PM, BritManToo said:

Best use of money ever in Thailand,

My Thai wife, 100Kbht cash paid in advance to her mom (plus running expenses).

Shagged me as much as I wanted and produced my best son.

Shagged which one? ???? ????

Archived