What was your best use of money ever in Thailand?

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, kenk24 said:

they were really smart.

What? Can they do math or something? 

All dogs are intelligent when properly trained and taken care of. 

1 hour ago, Cheops said:

What? Can they do math or something? 

All dogs are intelligent when properly trained and taken care of. 

I didn't ask them any math questions, but, when I stood up and walked toward the door, the bad tempered one had bad intentions and was lunging at me, ready to bite - - the other one, ran in front of her and cut her off, protecting me or maybe protecting her friend who would surely get punished if she did bite me... 

No math, but quite intelligent - - and just as people, some dogs are smarter than others - all things equal.

On 5/18/2019 at 9:16 PM, KMartinHandyman said:

The Sin Sod money I gave my in-laws and the wedding we paid for. It set a good tone at the start of our marriage with her parents and siblings. At 37 my wife finally fulfilled the traditional rural Thai expectations as the only daughter and the village got a modest wedding as any Thai to Thai commoners would provide.

We splurged ฿1200 I think for an ice cream vendor which was well received and I went through the tables with a liter of Crown Royal pouring a sip for anyone daring to take a shot of farang whiskey. It was mostly the elderly who were happy to take a drink.

The attendees were quite generous with the money given to the newlyweds which told me her family was well liked and respected and I split it 50/25/25 wife my wife,mil and fil in that order. The in-laws were surprised they didn’t get it all as they had paid in to all the other people’s functions for forty years and were now being rewarded but I told my wife it was our money and they can have half. They got over it.

The biggest reason the money was well spent was my mil controlled most of the sin sod and went on a capital improvements mission of their house which hadn’t had repairs in thirty years since it was built.

She had stored materials to contribute and lifted the second story with framing, siding, soffits and replaced the leaky roof. Built a covered front porch and installed double doors where there was a single. Installed tile in two rooms and bathroom that were bare concrete. She extended a covered breezeway area where they eat and she does here cloth loom weaving and crafts to make money above her rice farming. Next there was the detached kitchen and cooking building and a well pump at her fish/irrigation pond.

She started all of this with less than ฿200k after papa got his cut but spent the money wisely, called in her favors and put her rice and crafts money with it for almost two years to whip the place into shape and have a very modest, functional and dry home for their later years.

Good that she was driven and did this when she had time as papa never helped much before other than tend his cows but sure won’t be helping now as he had a stroke and is paralyzed on the right side. Most of her time goes to feeding, bathing, diapering and trying to figure out what he’s asking for with his unclear speech.

The money didn’t pay for it all but it gave her the lift to get started and she followed through which makes me feel good every Sunday when we bring some food and cook, eat and visit with them.

Sounds like they struck gold with you.

Still paying out are you.?

What is it with some guys? Doormats

32 minutes ago, Nsp64 said:

I expect you're married to a hiso Chinese lady, speak Thai fluently, & very wealthy.

:cheesy:

3 hours ago, Nsp64 said:

Can't you read?? What is it with you knuckleheads?

Oh I got it, too much beer drinking on your barstool!

Is it so difficult to understand that lots of foreigners do indeed marry good girls and stay happily married?

OMG, I desperately need coffee. I replied to the wrong post.

Apologies Nsp64!

7 minutes ago, Cheops said:

Can't you read?? What is it with you knuckleheads?

Oh I got it, too much beer drinking on your barstool!

Is it so difficult to understand that lots of foreigners do indeed marry good girls and stay happily married?

It sounded tongue-in-cheek to me...

7 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

It sounded tongue-in-cheek to me...

OMG, I just replied to a wrong post. I need some coffee now.....

Of course you are correct and that posters reply was spot on 555

4 hours ago, kenk24 said:

I didn't ask them any math questions, but, when I stood up and walked toward the door, the bad tempered one had bad intentions and was lunging at me, ready to bite - - the other one, ran in front of her and cut her off, protecting me or maybe protecting her friend who would surely get punished if she did bite me... 

No math, but quite intelligent - - and just as people, some dogs are smarter than others - all things equal.

That's indeed a smart dog! ????

Archived