Looking to upgrade a Lenovo ThinkPad computer

Bubbha

I am looking to upgrade a Lenovo ThinkPad computer (specs below) that I bought in 2014 – namely switching out to a SSD and increasing memory.

Can anyone recommend a reputable shop/vendor at Fortune Town or Pantip who could do this for me?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Lenovo ThinkPad T440 (2014 purchase)

Intel Core i5-4200U (1.60 GHz, 3 MB L3 Cache, up to 2.60 GHz)

Memory 4 GB DDR3L

Hard Disk1 TB 5400 RPM

I did this last year, for a slightly older Thinkpad (T412/2516 - i5-560).

Memory 2x4GB for 8 GB bought in the U.S., carried back

SSD: Samsung EVO SSD 250 GB bought here

reseated CPU*

new battery (bought in the U.S., not OEM, can find OEM/off brand here, Lenovo has a shop in Fortunetown which stocks batteries).

new AC brick (Original failed). (bought on Lazada here, shipped from China)

full cleaning - many Everything Bagel bits found in the keyboard

* the most challenging bit, everything else can be done by anyone with a screwdriver and access to Youtube.

Running Win10/64. Runs cooler, faster, quieter.

Probably should have just bought a new one? Was looking at the T480S - they often have some significant sales (25% - 35% off), just need the timing right during a trip back home.

The hardest bit was the memory; I bought that in the U.S., brought back after a trip.

This place in FortuneTown has/had the memory modules but quite expensive, and a no-name brand.

http://www.memorytoday.com/ftopict-71.html

I'd compare the total upgrade kit price vs. a new unit carefully.

OP, you'll get all needed parts at an Advice shop and they might do the upgrade while you're having a coffee somewhere. 

If your notebook runs well, you can clone your HD. I've just upgraded a Lenovo ThinkPad for a friend and I like them a lot. Decent quality. 

My Dell is nine years old and goes strong. 

according to lenovo, you can add an 8gigabyte ram stick in the slot. it has 4 gigs soldered in already. supports 12 gig maximum

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/T440s-maximum-RAM/td-p/3674272

on ebay you can find name brand 8gig ram for about 30 usd

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Micron-8GB-16GB-32GB-PC3-12800-DDR3L-1-35V-1600MHz-SODIMM-Laptop-Memory-Lot/352666453964?hash=item521c8f07cc:m:mfOUyizvsVysMX_RwepPeCg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/8GB-For-Crucial-8GB-2Rx8-PC3-12800S-SODIMM-RAM-Laptop-Memory-Intel-DDR3L-1600Mhz/113744858985?hash=item1a7bb8cf69:g:ho8AAOSw5qJcDjLB

i have ordered ram on ebay several times and never a problem. 

you can swap the hard drive for a 2.5 inch sata ssd . size of your choice.

if you are happy with screen and weight the upgrade will be noticeably faster and assuming the ssd costs 100 usd then the total about 130 usd is significantly less then a new laptop.

1 hour ago, Advocate said:

Upgrading a 5-year-old computer is irrational. Don't waste your money.

sometimes true.

i upgraded a 2012 macbook pro i7 with 16 gigs ram and an ssd to run high end sound production and it runs great. well worth the price and much much less than a newer similar spec macbook.

will also get a larger ssd for an older lenovo carbon x1

Fortune Town.  3rd floor rear, behind Banana & JIB

'Pro-Corner Computer Repair"  Very reliable and reputable shop. Nick, the manager speaks excellent English.  I've recommended them many times and always get positive feedback.  He will candidly tell you if it's worth it or not to do.

Closed Sundays.

7 minutes ago, dddave said:

Fortune Town.  3rd floor rear, behind Banana & JIB

'Pro-Corner Computer Repair"  Very reliable and reputable shop. Nick, the manager speaks excellent English.  I've recommended them many times and always get positive feedback.  He will candidly tell you if it's worth it or not to do.

Closed Sundays.

nick is a very smart and nice guy. did university in usa

hello, I have a 4 years old Acer that was working fine until now. Suddenly it still work, but slowly. For example when I launch Google Chrome I can see it open the window quite slowly, and even a explorer for files window will open slowly. But once tabs are open, video or anything else is working fine. I tried the SAFE MODE without drivers and still, the computer is slow.

This computer has windows 10, SSD and 12go RAM.

What could be the problem ? Could it be a RAM or motherboard problem ?

Any other idea ?

thank you so much.

3 hours ago, myjawe said:

hello, I have a 4 years old Acer that was working fine until now. Suddenly it still work, but slowly. For example when I launch Google Chrome I can see it open the window quite slowly, and even a explorer for files window will open slowly. But once tabs are open, video or anything else is working fine. I tried the SAFE MODE without drivers and still, the computer is slow.

Any other idea ?

thank you so much.

Could be rogue software eating up the performance. Check in task manager. Another option would be a clean reinstall of the OS which is usually found on the D drive.

I went back to see how much I spent (8 GB Mem, 250 GB SSD, battery, AC brick) - $175 (USD) all in, so ~ 5,600 THB today.

For the OP, it looks like 8 GB SODIMM would be ~ 2,000 THB (here in Thailand), while a 250 SSD would be ~ 1,900.

For me, the step down from a 500 GB spinner to a 250 GB SSD was no issue - as a travel/work/mobile laptop I keep the data to a minimum - and use a Sandisk 128 GB USB stick for back-up, a 500 GB SSD might more like ~ 3,600. It's quite easy to clone the drive, Samsung provides the SW in the kit, or you can DL it. The Windows license remains valid after a HD/mem swap/upgrade, although you can get a valid WIn10 license on eBay for ~ 200 baht these days.

I was, and am still, looking at a new Thinkpad (on sale in the U.S.) for ~ $1,000 (USD). Instant sale price on in-stock, pre-config T480s units plus e-coupon amounts to a ~ 25% discount: list $1,300, net $975. Shipping is free, my state sales tax is 6.25%.

15 hours ago, myjawe said:

Any other idea ?

thank you so much.

Software/settings corruption.

OP,

ThinkPads are  easy to upgrade....ThinkPads are made that way....easy access to components.  Upgrading to a 8GB (or maybe 12GB depending on your specific model) of RAM and a 500GB or 1000GB SSD should be easy and cheap.  And then that 2014 i5 model ThinkPad will run durn near as fast as a 2019 i5 ThinkPad for day to day computering....and of course you will have saved a bunch of money since RAM and SSDs are pretty cheap nowdays.   And of course by just cloning the old drive to the new drive you will not have any problems in software staying activated like you may have if buying a new laptop as with a new computer the software will detect you have switched computers, new motherboard, new BIOSs, etc....but just upgrading RAM and cloning to a large drive will not cause any software activation problems.

T440 Specs

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/pd100264

T440 Hardware Mx Manual

https://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/t440_hmm_en_sp40a26000_01.pdf

On 5/19/2019 at 9:41 PM, notmyself said:

Could be rogue software eating up the performance. Check in task manager. Another option would be a clean reinstall of the OS which is usually found on the D drive.

Thank you, for sure not a software problem and I have already done a Window reset (but keep my personal files).

So I am quite convinced that it's a hardware problem, but what ?! Now I only use this laptop to watch videos, buts its sad because it has SSD and 12GO RAM.

42 minutes ago, myjawe said:

Thank you, for sure not a software problem and I have already done a Window reset (but keep my personal files).

So I am quite convinced that it's a hardware problem, but what ?! Now I only use this laptop to watch videos, buts its sad because it has SSD and 12GO RAM.

CPU overheating can cause performance issues but would generally be OK from a cold start and then worsen. You could also try removing one of the RAM cards (8+4?) and see what happens.

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 10:53 AM, Advocate said:

Upgrading a 5-year-old computer is irrational. Don't waste your money.

Most or maybe even all ThinkPads are sturdy and reliable notebooks. I have one which is about 10 years old. I replaced the HDD to a SSD and it works just fine.

Obviously it's not a super fast computer but it works just fine with Windows 10 for office work, internet, looking at videos, etc.

5 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Most or maybe even all ThinkPads are sturdy and reliable notebooks. I have one which is about 10 years old. I replaced the HDD to a SSD and it works just fine.

Obviously it's not a super fast computer but it works just fine with Windows 10 for office work, internet, looking at videos, etc.

Lenovo have built up a good name over the years for as you say, sturdy and reliable portable computers. I used to collect laptops etc. via my niece in the UK and bring them back to Thailand when I visited. I'd install errrm. anyway and given them to the local kids, via their parents. Gave them all free wifi too. 5-6 years ago there was no more demand because everyone had a smartphone so they (laptops) now just get lost. I stripped down a few old ones of my own a couple of months back just to able to transport the modules.

What else... yeah Win10 does a good job at adapting to its environment which means older hardware can perform all that is asked of it. It's all marketing to buy new when most everyone has one that will suffice. 

Archived