I got footage of hotel staff stealing my money

rustycc

Hello,

After having read many helpful answers on this forum, I was thinking of this forum to be the perfect place to ask this question.

I recently noticed money disappearing from my wallet in my room. So I set up my action cam in the room and decided to capture anything and anybody that came in my room unnoticed. While entering my room I noticed something was off. So, I checked the trap it has sprung! The person is caught in the act and is visible. 

Now the next question is: what should I do now? 

Confront them with the footage and ask the money back or go straight to the police.

Thanks!

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Happy Grumpy said:

Leave it as cultural education.

You were being Western. Openly leaving money in a hotel room.

They were being Thai.

Your next lesson will be taxi drivers, and food stall double pricing. 

Enjoy!

All posts are excellent suggestions...especially getting the hell outta there FAST.  No telling what danger you will be in.  This is Thailand, you apply western logic with confrontation, the money you lost will be the value of your life taken away...Be careful.  Many great suggestions though... Good luck whatever you do. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, naboo said:

The first thing you should do is post the video here.

Yeah, and mention the name of the hotel.   That way, they have the OP on defamation and computer crimes.

• Like 1

Work out how much has been taken. 

Take the Video to the Manager of the hotel. Tell them you want your money back and that the Police are called and the thief is charged. If the management at the hotel are reasonable, they should take responsibility. 

If the Management at the hotel do not act responsibly, go to the Police and report the crime. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, worgeordie said:

You leave your wallet,with money in,in a hotel room, 

first thing to do is find some brains,why would you

do that.

Unless there's a safe in the room, what other choice do you have.

And the staff all have access to the emergency key anyway.

My last visit to Vietnam, big signs on the walls "Do not leave money in your room"

Went down to reception to leave my money in the hotel safe, reception had no idea, pointed at the sign in English, they couldn't read English.

So which is safer leaving it in my room, or carrying it in my pocket?

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, lipflipper said:

You were stupid enough in first place to stay in a hotel room that had no safe to put all your valuables in, you got robbed. What did you think might happen?? Sorry, silly me I thought you had a brain.

Sent from my CMR-AL19 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Lots of hotels don't have safes.

It's not unheard of for staff members to be able to open safes.

There's YT videos of hotel safes being opened with a potato.

Neither is it unheard of for them to nick the complete safe even if it's bolted to the rear of the wardrobe or even the wall.

• Like 1

So everyone here takes ALL their money from their place, and ALL their valuables from their room before leaving????   LOLOLOLOLOL

You don't own your house, so anyone can go and take anything.  then will will say you have no brains.

any condo can be entered by management, so i expect everyone here must take all their cash and valuables with them every time they leave.  and the lock on the door, should be replaced every day....lol

when you bring back a bar girl, you remove everything from your room and put it in safe keeping????

i've seen this story unravel before......police involved, thief went away, foreigners looked very unhappy and left.  i think 40,000 baht stolen, and i have a feeling the foreigners were told only 100 baht recovered.  LOL

when you get on a plane, are you always watching your belongings for theft after they were checked-in???

lol

Edited by XenZen
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Unless there's a safe in the room, what other choice do you have.

And the staff all have access to the emergency key anyway.

My last visit to Vietnam, big signs on the walls "Do not leave money in your room"

Went down to reception to leave my money in the hotel safe, reception had no idea, pointed at the sign in English, they couldn't read English.

So which is safer leaving it in my room, or carrying it in my pocket?

Carrying in your pocket ,much better with a money belt, unless you wander around

with Millions ,why tempt the maid by leaving it in the room,makes no sense at all.

regards worgeordie

• Like 1

So everyone here takes ALL their money from their place, and ALL their valuables from their room before leaving????   LOLOLOLOLOL

You don't own your house, so anyone can go and take anything.  then will will say you have no brains.

any condo can be entered by management, so i expect everyone here must take all their cash and valuables with them every time they leave.  and the lock on the door, should be replaced every day....lol

when you bring back a bar girl, you remove everything from your room and put it in safe keeping????

i've seen this story unravel before......police involved, thief went away, foreigners looked very unhappy and left.  i think 40,000 baht stolen, and i have a feeling the foreigners were told only 100 baht recovered.  LOL

when you get on a plane, are you always watching your belongings for theft after they were checked-in???

lol
Most people I know that rent, change the locks to their condos (including internal doors).

Sent from my SM-C710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

What to do?  "My friend works for a Thai TV station. He wanted me to talk to you first before ruining the reputation of your hotel with this video....." Then start your negotiations ............  And yes, bags packed and ready to leave as was previously suggested.......   

I usually leave the 'Do Not Disturb " card on the door handle when I go out unless I'm there waiting for the cleaning staff.

I leave 20 baht notes in shirt or pants pockets to test for honesty but large amounts are usually well secured .

Hope this link helps to

blend a little humor into the situation 

https://www.stickmanbangkok.com/readers-submissions/2003/07/hiding-money/

Edited by Seth1a2a