I got footage of hotel staff stealing my money

rustycc

Hi people, I'm here to update you with the end of the story.

Packed up my stuff and moved to a different place.

Next on the list was telling the owner about it, she talked to the person who has stolen the money. 

Big drama went on for 10 minutes, people became emotional (I felt a bit bad) and got my money back together with a refund for the rest of my stay.

That's it, no plan B or C needed to be launched ????.

22 hours ago, impulse said:

First, get a lawyer to tell you if it's legal to film people in a Thai hotel room without their knowledge- even your room.

They may not be the ones who go to jail.

Great first post, BTW.  Short and sweet.  Usually, they go on for several paragraphs with eye watering, stomach churning detail.

It wasn't worth getting a lawyer, didn't need to go to the police.

Yeah that's kind of an introduction post ????

3 minutes ago, rustycc said:

Hi people, I'm here to update you with the end of the story.

Packed up my stuff and moved to a different place.

Next on the list was telling the owner about it, she talked to the person who has stolen the money. 

Big drama went on for 10 minutes, people became emotional (I felt a bit bad) and got my money back together with a refund for the rest of my stay.

That's it, no plan B or C needed to be launched ????.

Commonsense approach, well done !!

22 hours ago, Traubert said:

Love the American answers

'Get a lawyer!!!'

"Get a lawyer" may be tongue in cheek, but it's also a warning that things you'd do back home without a second thought can get you in serious trouble with Thailand's defamation (and LM) laws combined with their computer crime laws.   Saying anything that causes someone or a business harm can result in a lawsuit, and even criminal prosecution for defamation.  Use a computer to get the word out, and they can pile on computer crimes. 

Ask some Euro reporters how they've been doing with their stories about some Thai business practices.  Stories that wouldn't have raised an iota of a defamation charge in the west, but could have resulted in long jail time for the reporters (and even those who repost someone else's stories)

• Like 1

On 5/19/2019 at 7:28 AM, XenZen said:

So everyone here takes ALL their money from their place, and ALL their valuables from their room before leaving????   LOLOLOLOLOL

any condo can be entered by management, so i expect everyone here must take all their cash and valuables with them every time they leave.  and the lock on the door, should be replaced every day....lol

lol

Only valuables I take to a hotel / condo room are cell phone and a wallet (with ATM, ID, etc..)  Those go with me when I leave the room (why shorts have pockets)

If you have a lot of money you leave that in a Bank, pretty simple

Depends on the hotel. If 4-5 stars then go talk to management. If below that level and not a part of an international chain or top end Thailand hotel, then get out of there and don't risk anything.

There might also be a sign that says: "Hotel is not responsible for any lost or stolen items etc". If it does say this then stop your Joe detective of Ah HA Gotcha and just leave it alone.

Politely ask hotel manager to do something with it really ? Cause in some other way I do not realise how you will punish them. As well as call to police. As a foreigner I am not sure if it worthy though. Better to leave bad review in TripAdvisor or so later.

On 5/18/2019 at 10:34 AM, mike787 said:

All posts are excellent suggestions...especially getting the hell outta there FAST.  No telling what danger you will be in.  This is Thailand, you apply western logic with confrontation, the money you lost will be the value of your life taken away...Be careful.  Many great suggestions though... Good luck whatever you do. 

give some examples of what u seen

19 hours ago, impulse said:

"Get a lawyer" may be tongue in cheek, but it's also a warning that things you'd do back home without a second thought can get you in serious trouble with Thailand's defamation (and LM) laws combined with their computer crime laws.   Saying anything that causes someone or a business harm can result in a lawsuit, and even criminal prosecution for defamation.  Use a computer to get the word out, and they can pile on computer crimes. 

Ask some Euro reporters how they've been doing with their stories about some Thai business practices.  Stories that wouldn't have raised an iota of a defamation charge in the west, but could have resulted in long jail time for the reporters (and even those who repost someone else's stories)

so leaving a google review is jail time? 

OP what city and hotel?  

Being a cleaning lady in a 3rd world country is shit.  Do not tempt them with money.  She needed school uniforms for her kids or they can not go to school maybe. 

On 5/18/2019 at 4:31 PM, worgeordie said:

You leave your wallet,with money in,in a hotel room, 

first thing to do is find some brains,why would you

do that.

A first time post so probably a troll.

regards worgeordie

yea, i'm thinking it's one of the, all too familiar now, 'newbie' troll posts. don't encourage them by engaging.

• Like 1

just leave your money in your luggage and lock the two zippers together or if you use the hotel safe use a lockbag so they can not skim a little money thinking you wont notice

Edited by rembody