SURVEY: Trade Wars -- necessary or not?

Scott

SURVEY: Trade Wars -- necessary or not?  

119 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 5/22/2019 at 6:18 PM, xylophone said:

Something to consider...............China accounts for over 95 percent of the world's production of rare earths. Therefore, having control of these elements puts China at a powerful position esp as they are used in electronics production/manufacture etc, and cutting off the supply to the USA for example would prove catastrophic.

Trump doesn't necessarily hold a trump hand here.

I still think China is all talk and no action, a true paper tiger. Looks like Australia is already stepping rare earth mining.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-05-29/china-gears-up-to-weaponize-rare-earths-dominance-in-trade-war

rare-earth-oxide-production-by-country.gif

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/19/2019 at 12:56 PM, GalaxyMan said:

Don't like the choices. I am against retaliatory tariffs, but understand their need at times, like vis-a-vis the situation with China and the US. At the same time, I am for free trade, all things being equal, which is the real kicker, isn't it? I hate unfairness more than anything in life, which is stupid, as it's anything but a 'fair' universe.

Your opinion is so perfect I don't have to offer my own.

As for China's trade practices, this just in from Reuters. China had sued the WTO claiming it was a market economy to get relieve from retaliatory measures. They were loosing so badly they pulled the suit before a judgement could be rendered.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-china-wto-eu/china-pulls-wto-suit-over-claim-to-be-a-market-economy-idUSKCN1TI10A?il=0

Archived