we know what you bought online

bendejo

This is the future. Ads targeted to us through our devices. Imagine there is a data base of everything you have ever bought over the last ten years, and when you bought it. I swear we should all move to cash purchases for everything possible for so many reasons. It is a tough sell for some reason though. Lucky it s easy here in Thailand. One of the things i love about. 

When they start to feed ads based on what you're thinking as your fingers approach the keyboard it'll be time to really be concerned.

6 hours ago, utalkin2me said:

I swear we should all move to cash purchases

In-store tracking to analyze customer behavior is already being utilized. Even simple stuff, like motion detectors, is used (even here) to attract/entice customers in the aisle.

2 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

When they start to feed ads based on what you're thinking as your fingers approach the keyboard it'll be time to really be concerned.

In-store tracking to analyze customer behavior is already being utilized. Even simple stuff, like motion detectors, is used (even here) to attract/entice customers in the aisle.

I am actually ok with that. Let them have at it. It is their store. I am not saying I am a fan, but...

My big problem comes from say netflix analyzing your viewing patterns, for a service you paid for, and then using or selling the data. Stuff like this. There is some really scary stuff out there, seriously, like ability now to analyze vibrations in people home windows to spy on conversations and more. 

In my opinion, cash and lose the phone and you are pretty darned safe. Let them try to crack through that, I welcome the challenge. I know it is still possible but actually give us a chance. 

4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Only you can see your purchases. Google protects your privacy and security.

Oh, so only you have access to the page.  If you take comfort in that you need to give it some more thought.

That these records exist is the problem.  Any knowledge of you can be used against you (hear that, Joe Biden?). 

Some years back I found a bug in gmail.  Finding bugs in software is what I did for a living, and I put this bug through the paces -- no, it wasn't just me.

I then set about to inform Google.  It took a bit of digging, but I eventually found the page.  It said, in effect, that we don't take outside bug reports, but if you want you can leave it here, and most likely no one will read it.  Silicon Valley nerd arrogance in full glory.  No need to ask me how much faith I put into Google's tech operations.

10 hours ago, bendejo said:

Seeing this kind of stuff gives me the creeps.

Not to me ????  (see below)

Many tracking mails or invoices in my Gmail. Surely Google can do better than that.

purchases.jpg

1 hour ago, Pattaya46 said:

Not to me ????  (see below)

Many tracking mails or invoices in my Gmail. Surely Google can do better than that.

purchases.jpg

+ 1 Not for me either. There are other very annoying spy programs that give me the creep. 

Google purchases.png

3 hours ago, utalkin2me said:

and lose the phone

Unfortunately not that practical in this day and age. However you can negate a lot of it by rooting, excising all Google apps including Play Store, and installing a firewall to stop the apps you do want from communicating to all and sundry.

Most people cannot be bothered however......... 

Google's ability to track your purchases seems to be limited to inspecting your e-mailed receipts from what I see.  If you don't receive those receipts then Google won't know about the associated purchase.

Archived