Learning to swim in Thailand

Go to Youtube and search free swimming lessons.  If you do not have a pool, locate one near you...many hotels allow locals to use their pool for a nominal fee.

You have won half the battle...you desire to learn...

Get into the water...walk out to about chest high...lift your legs off the bottom and get into a "cannon-ball"...position...this exercise is to assure you that water is heavier than you and that you will float...if you just relax in the water...

Suntan lotion, ear spray to remove water that may have lodged in your ear...

Try dog paddle...or just kick your feet and use your hands and arms like oars to move you through the water.

Don't worry about speed...go slow...this is not the Olympics...????

• Like 2

Use a floating vest so you can get confident swimming around. If the water is still you should also learn to float on your back, it can be very usefull. With a good snorkeling kit I can swim forever in the sea. 

Edited by Tayaout

You don't say where you are located.  If close to Bangkok, the government run pools at many parks and schools often have learn to swim programs. Of course, they are conducted in Thai but you can easily learn by watching.   You do need a permit card for these pools. They can give you an application. The requirements usually include a health check.

Two such pools that come to mind:  Benjasri Park, next to Emporium Mall, Phrom Phung and the large Thai school on Sukhumvit, a few blocks past the Ekkamai bus terminal and BTS stop.

Good for you! When I married Hubby I didn't realize he couldn't swim.  I figured he did because he owned at least four swim suits and grew up in a seaside city.  On our honeymoon, we went to the pool at the hotel and he immediate stretched out on a lounger -- at an indoor pool!  I got into the pool and asked him what was his problem, come on, get in the pool.  He did and just stood in the shallow end.  We were the only ones in the pool, so I went up to do a little horseplay (it was our honeymoon after all) and I realized he was scared to death that I was going to jump on his back and get his head under water. 

So, the truth came out and he admitted he needed to learn to swim.

Like driving, this isn't something that you should learn from a family member, but rather from a professional.  Here in Chiang Mai, there is an organization called Bronco Kids Sports Center in the Old City and they have some instructors who speak English.  While the center is focused on giving lessons to kids, I think they'd be willing to do private lessons for an adult there.  Kru Payu goes out to swimming pools in condos, hotels and moo baans to give private lessons, which might be better than trying to use the pool at the kids center. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NancyL said:

Here in Chiang Mai, there is an organization called Bronco Kids Sports Center in the Old City and they have some instructors who speak English. 

Would I trust them not to drown my son .......... not in a million years.

I have been able to swim since i was 7 years old, could not imagine not being ale to swim, Best form of exercise there is. Taught the wife to swim  in about three days, Its all about confidence, Good luck once you ahve learned you will realize what you have been missing out on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's never too late to learn to swim, it is not only a wonderful sport for ones all round health but could be useful if you see someone in trouble in the water.

Now aged in my 70's I still swim when I get the opportunity.

Children are NOT born with a fear of water ( they have just spent 9 months in it before being born ), it is us as parents / adults who pass on that fear.

Both my daughters started to learn to be confident in a swimming pool, one at 3 months of age the other at 6 months.     One daughter went on to do competition swimming for school and county.

I was lucky to have a swimming pool near my childhood home in London and my father took me swimming from aged 5 years, horrible woolen swimming costume.     There were 3 pools, a ladies a general pool and a so called 'penny bare bums' for children who could not afford a higher entrance fee or a swimming costume.    I swam competitively in London for my school, later for London and when in Australia sea races, and body surfing.     Used to sea swim with a dog off the coast of Texel in Holland.

You have not stated where you are but there is a wonderful pool on the roof of The Mall in Korat, I have seen people training / learning there.    I live south of Khon Kaen.

Take the leap and enjoy !

It's much easier to learn in the sea as you're much more buoyant... but pick a really calm day with no waves.

Take a very deep breath, lie on your back with your head right back, and try to keep your stomach just under the surface... Get someone to help give you a little support at the small of your back if you need help to get there, and then slowly remove the support as you relax.  By keeping your head right back, your mouth and nose will be the highest points, and allow you the breath... but just breaths out a little, and then back in again, in regular short little puffs.  By keeping your lungs as full as possible, you'll maximize your buoyancy... OK. so now you can't float..!

Next gently sweep your arms back and forth like making snow angels, and by rotating your hand "into" the motion, you can get a little extra "lift", and this will allow you the breath more shallowly.

Next keep sweeping your arms, but alternate your hands between horizontal & vertical, and you'll start to make movement through the water.  Now you're actually swimming - congratulations.

Slowly move your lower legs up and down with your feet stretched out - but keep them just below the surface.  Move each leg opposite to the other - just gentle little kicks from the hips, knees, and ankles, don't move too quickly or aggressively, or you'll upset your balance and your head could dip under water.

And only when you're confident doing that should you try to swim on your belly, since you need to keep moving to keep your head sufficiently out of the water to allow you to breathe, (unless using a snorkel, which is actually another good way to build confidence, especially with goggles or a mask so you can see properly).

If you are all skin and bones you may need some extra buoyancy to get started; a couple of empty small plastic water bottles shoved down the front of your shorts should provide enough extra you need.  But anyone with a "healthy" amount of fat should be fine without... Remember full lungs, and head right back.

I've used the technique for both kids and adults and it's rarely failed to get them started, usually in less than an hour or so... It really is all about confidence.  Only then think about "proper" strokes.  Good luck.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Snackbar said:

If you can swim, it’s very simple to teach another.

Use a buoyancy aid.

Understand flotation.

Develop techniques for motion.

Not brain surgery, is it

My Thai Mother inlaw worked at a hospital In Sahmt Sahkon. They had a swimming pool. There was a lot of foam floats about, I got some old bike inertubes cut them up and made bands of them to go around Children's and adults waists with the floats, within a few days many people where trying to use them and a lot got confidence to try and swim without them eventualy,

Edited by Thongkorn

Where are you ...our village has a salt water pool and swimming teachers seem to be there quite often.

I like the modern day teaching methods that they use ...of course anyone can teach another to swim but how well and how quick is another matter.

I started swimming aged 6, now in my 70's and still go swimming, strange thing is I have never been able to float, even in the sea when I lived in Australia and body surfed for hours at a time.   Not heavy boned, slim build, when I lay on my back I slowly start sinking, feet first with a slight roll.

Been looking at swimming lessons here for a child but seems a bit of a rip off.

10 x 30 minute sessions for 6500 baht + 2000 baht sign up - reward for sign up - swimming diaper.

Our lad has been in a pool 8 times to date and each time he's been in 7+ hours. 

Taking him for a 30 minute lesson will end in a tantrum and for 600 baht we can book a hotel close by and spend all day in a pool with him.

3 hours ago, Bkkjimbo said:

Been looking at swimming lessons here for a child but seems a bit of a rip off.

10 x 30 minute sessions for 6500 baht + 2000 baht sign up - reward for sign up - swimming diaper.

Our lad has been in a pool 8 times to date and each time he's been in 7+ hours. 

Taking him for a 30 minute lesson will end in a tantrum and for 600 baht we can book a hotel close by and spend all day in a pool with him.

Surely he could stay in the pool after the lesson.

Where we are there is a 20M salt water pool.

I know an adult who tells me she is charged 700thb ...not sure if one hour or half an hour ... I will ask...that includes pool fees.

I see children learning very quickly as the time I swim is around 4pm and children have finished school.

I sometimes see group lessons...

It is a lovely pool ... I'll post a pic later ...there is also a small restaurant at the side...

9 hours ago, JAS21 said:

Surely he could stay in the pool after the lesson.

Where we are there is a 20M salt water pool.

I know an adult who tells me she is charged 700thb ...not sure if one hour or half an hour ... I will ask...that includes pool fees.

I see children learning very quickly as the time I swim is around 4pm and children have finished school.

I sometimes see group lessons...

It is a lovely pool ... I'll post a pic later ...there is also a small restaurant at the side...

New_20170215_073320.jpg.cfecc0874ecfe9e3d07b123e98368dc4.jpg

• 6 months later...

I'm not sure if the thread starter ever took any lessons, but I hope he did. I am 35 years old and never swam one day in my life. I am afraid of the water.

I could take lessons here in New York, but they are kind of expensive. I can use an upcoming Thailand trip and take more lessons, practice swimming in pools/beach, and enjoy warmer weather during a span of 2 weeks.

I'm comfortable in Chiang Mai and Bangkok, but if there is somewhere better in Thailand where I can maximize my swim lesson potential (like Hua Hin for example).

I'd probably be going back in March 2020. Any advice appreciated. Thanks. 

On 5/22/2019 at 2:25 PM, Speedo1968 said:

I started swimming aged 6, now in my 70's and still go swimming, strange thing is I have never been able to float, even in the sea when I lived in Australia and body surfed for hours at a time.   Not heavy boned, slim build, when I lay on my back I slowly start sinking, feet first with a slight roll.

small lungs? 

some people are negatively buoyant 

• Thanks 1

On 12/14/2019 at 10:14 AM, InterestedSugoya said:

I'm not sure if the thread starter ever took any lessons, but I hope he did. I am 35 years old and never swam one day in my life. I am afraid of the water.

I could take lessons here in New York, but they are kind of expensive. I can use an upcoming Thailand trip and take more lessons, practice swimming in pools/beach, and enjoy warmer weather during a span of 2 weeks.

I'm comfortable in Chiang Mai and Bangkok, but if there is somewhere better in Thailand where I can maximize my swim lesson potential (like Hua Hin for example).

I'd probably be going back in March 2020. Any advice appreciated. Thanks. 

Quite a few swim instructors here on Koh Samui.

Search iswim samui

Edited by Tropicalevo

• 1 month later...