BANGKOK
sidjameson

Learning to swim in Thailand

I started swimming aged 6, now in my 70's and still go swimming, strange thing is I have never been able to float, even in the sea when I lived in Australia and body surfed for hours at a time.   Not heavy boned, slim build, when I lay on my back I slowly start sinking, feet first with a slight roll.

Been looking at swimming lessons here for a child but seems a bit of a rip off.

10 x 30 minute sessions for 6500 baht + 2000 baht sign up - reward for sign up - swimming diaper.

Our lad has been in a pool 8 times to date and each time he's been in 7+ hours. 

Taking him for a 30 minute lesson will end in a tantrum and for 600 baht we can book a hotel close by and spend all day in a pool with him.

3 hours ago, Bkkjimbo said:

Been looking at swimming lessons here for a child but seems a bit of a rip off.

10 x 30 minute sessions for 6500 baht + 2000 baht sign up - reward for sign up - swimming diaper.

Our lad has been in a pool 8 times to date and each time he's been in 7+ hours. 

Taking him for a 30 minute lesson will end in a tantrum and for 600 baht we can book a hotel close by and spend all day in a pool with him.

Surely he could stay in the pool after the lesson.

Where we are there is a 20M salt water pool.

I know an adult who tells me she is charged 700thb ...not sure if one hour or half an hour ... I will ask...that includes pool fees.

I see children learning very quickly as the time I swim is around 4pm and children have finished school.

I sometimes see group lessons...

It is a lovely pool ... I'll post a pic later ...there is also a small restaurant at the side...

9 hours ago, JAS21 said:

Surely he could stay in the pool after the lesson.

Where we are there is a 20M salt water pool.

I know an adult who tells me she is charged 700thb ...not sure if one hour or half an hour ... I will ask...that includes pool fees.

I see children learning very quickly as the time I swim is around 4pm and children have finished school.

I sometimes see group lessons...

It is a lovely pool ... I'll post a pic later ...there is also a small restaurant at the side...

New_20170215_073320.jpg.cfecc0874ecfe9e3d07b123e98368dc4.jpg

I'm not sure if the thread starter ever took any lessons, but I hope he did. I am 35 years old and never swam one day in my life. I am afraid of the water.

I could take lessons here in New York, but they are kind of expensive. I can use an upcoming Thailand trip and take more lessons, practice swimming in pools/beach, and enjoy warmer weather during a span of 2 weeks.

I'm comfortable in Chiang Mai and Bangkok, but if there is somewhere better in Thailand where I can maximize my swim lesson potential (like Hua Hin for example).

I'd probably be going back in March 2020. Any advice appreciated. Thanks. 

On 5/22/2019 at 2:25 PM, Speedo1968 said:

I started swimming aged 6, now in my 70's and still go swimming, strange thing is I have never been able to float, even in the sea when I lived in Australia and body surfed for hours at a time.   Not heavy boned, slim build, when I lay on my back I slowly start sinking, feet first with a slight roll.

small lungs? 

some people are negatively buoyant 

• Thanks 1

On 12/14/2019 at 10:14 AM, InterestedSugoya said:

I'm not sure if the thread starter ever took any lessons, but I hope he did. I am 35 years old and never swam one day in my life. I am afraid of the water.

I could take lessons here in New York, but they are kind of expensive. I can use an upcoming Thailand trip and take more lessons, practice swimming in pools/beach, and enjoy warmer weather during a span of 2 weeks.

I'm comfortable in Chiang Mai and Bangkok, but if there is somewhere better in Thailand where I can maximize my swim lesson potential (like Hua Hin for example).

I'd probably be going back in March 2020. Any advice appreciated. Thanks. 

Quite a few swim instructors here on Koh Samui.

Search iswim samui

Edited by Tropicalevo

Most importantly, remember that you stay on the surface of the water due to the air in your lungs. Therefore, breathe deeply and do not panic! 😃