Photos for extension of stay based on marriage?

Hi guys,

I am in Thailand on a Non-O visa, and in the last 30 days of the visa's eligibility, I would like to upgrade this to the 1 year extension of stay based on marriage, for the sake of pure convenience and not having to keep leaving the country etc. (it'll also save many thousands of baht from all the travelling, hotels, restaurants, visa charges and the rest).

The paperwork, although extensive, confusing, and different between offices, is not my issue, I will get everything in triplicate, dated and countersigned, and my Thai bank book will be updated on the morning on the way to the immigration office. I might even have a yellow tabien baan by then if things go as planned.

My question is the photo requirements. How many photos are required? What types of photos do they want? Can I provide on an SD card, via an email attachment, or do they want them printed out? And if so, how big should they be, is black and white ok? I know there is a good chance that whatever I do will be rejected initially, but if I could find out from anyone who has done this recently it would be a huge help - I've read a lot of conflicting advice and heard different things from the people I have spoken to.

Thanks in advance.

No experience with the Ubon office, but to be on the safe side you'll want regular sized photo printouts on photo paper in color. Make sure to get two copies of every photo.

Get three times as many different photos as you think you'll need, and let them pick the photos they want. Have someone take the photos for you or use a tripod; they probably won't accept selfies.

In general, they'll want pictures of you on your bed, on your sofa, in your kitchen, outside the house with the house number clearly visible. Make sure you're standing close together, looking like a couple ????

In Hua Hin, they also wanted pictures outside our housing estate, where a sign with the name of the place is, as well as outside our house door.

Sometimes they also want pictures with a witness, so give the office a call about that.

• Thanks 1

I use 2 sets of photos printed on A4 photo  paper (plain paper allowed) with two 5 X 7" photos pers sheet. Only 4 photos supplied. One of the wife and I sitting on the edge of the bed and sofa together, one family photo showing the house number in it and one of the house from the street.

Here is my general list of documents and etc.. Marriage Extension Requirements 2.pdf

No witnesses needed here. A recent printout of the Kor Ror 2 marriage registry from an Amphoe will be needed.

Edited by ubonjoe
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, fishtank said:

I have never supplied a "bed" photo and never had a problem.

That is your choice if your office does not want one. I just do one as a another photo of us in an around the house nothing wrong with one of us in the bedroom sitting on the bed.

• Like 1

Joe , I work & live in a different province to my wife ( I have a Non O marriage visa) , I am registered at the immigration office at my place of work ( which is also where I live) , as is my work permit ...what do you think I will need to fulfil that part of the extension process ? bank side all sorted ....cheers 

3 minutes ago, cdmtdm said:

Joe , I work & live in a different province to my wife ( I have a Non O marriage visa) , I am registered at the immigration office at my place of work ( which is also where I live) , as is my work permit ...what do you think I will need to fulfil that part of the extension process ? bank side all sorted ....cheers 

Your wife would need to move where you are living at least temporarily for you do the application for a one year extension of stay based upon marriage.

"I will get everything in triplicate, dated and countersigned, and my Thai bank book will be updated on the morning on the way to the immigration office."

OP, better to have a letter from your bank, issued on the same day, stating that you've got the amount of XXXX on your account. 

Some IO's want it that way, an updated bankbook doesn't seem to be enough for them. 

Edited by Isaanbiker
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, cdmtdm said:

so perhaps better to use her house address ?

You would have to formally change your address to that address to do the application at the local immigration office.

9 minutes ago, cdmtdm said:

the point is that is the family home & I go home on weekends its an hour & a half drive ... but I sleep weekdays at the office site ...

You could do the application and explain you work during the week in a different province. You might have to be at your wife's home when they schedule a home visit.

20 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Your wife would need to move where you are living at least temporarily for you do the application for a one year extension of stay based upon marriage.

But what if they send some officers to ask neighbors plenty of questions about their marriage/relationship? Did they stop doing that?  

My apologies, question was answered while I wrote my post. 

Edited by Isaanbiker

Just now, Isaanbiker said:

But what if they send some officers to ask neighbors plenty of questions about their marriage/relationship? Did they stop doing that?  

That is only been done by a very few immigration offices.

There is nothing that states you have to be living together full time. Many have to live apart some of the time for reasons of their employment.

Plan B .....(as I can see this turning into nightmare) ...I work in Udon so every 90 days I could ride to Nong Khai go across the bridge & come back in again ...I have a multi entry Non O so I would then get another 90days ? keep doing this until the visa expires next year ....sound feasible ?

4 minutes ago, cdmtdm said:

Plan B .....(as I can see this turning into nightmare) ...I work in Udon so every 90 days I could ride to Nong Khai go across the bridge & come back in again ...I have a multi entry Non O so I would then get another 90days ? keep doing this until the visa expires next year ....sound feasible ?

Yes you could.

You can also apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife for any of the 90 day entries your wife would have to be with you when you do the application.

My stupid  office wanted 2  per A4 not black and white and well printed, the requirements change from year to year day to day and officer to officer, its all nonsense, I think sometimes Im gonna  do some stark  <deleted> naked with me and the Wife  shagging to "prove" were married.

Best go in a few  days before and get an answer and the officers name to refer back to when another officer  tells  you what you have is "no good"

Edited by gunderhill
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

thanks Joe , maybe I will just get a 60 day extension this time & then do the border run next time , this option also negates the 400k for 2 months prior ....I am lucky I guess are close to a border crossing to be able to do this .

ok update on the extension ....they allowed us to use the Udon address which is where I am registered , we then did all the necessary paperwork 3 hrs in total , with my wife in attendance & a witness ....next day they came to my office / residence & interviewed the building owner , collected her papers even though they had been given as part of the application already , photographs of the officer signing the papers with all of us in the shot , photos outside as well ....did not check the bedroom etc etc .... I was then given notice to return on the 17th of June with my bankbook updated & showing another small deposit on the day , then on the 26th of June I can pickup the 12 months extension , all in all they were very thorough , pleasant & professional , it was nice to get the outcome I was hoping for . One question will the 12 month extension be from the 26th of June or Feb when I received the new Non O visa? Cheers & appreciate the advice as always .

• Like 1

On 5/19/2019 at 6:15 AM, Myran said:

but to be on the safe side you'll want regular sized photo printouts on photo paper in color.

Wed. 22.04. Samui Immigration does not want printouts on photo paper (family photos and google earth)

On 5/19/2019 at 12:29 PM, gunderhill said:

Best go in a few  days before and get an answer and the officers name to refer back to when another officer  tells  you what you have is "no good"

I did, but the same officer is changing mind

• 1 year later...

I'm in the process of getting an extension, the agent I'm dealing with has asked for 20 travel photos, but my wife & I haven't travelled anywhere in years, and when we did travel we didn't spend our days taking photos of ourselves, any suggestions as to what we should do? Go out today and take photos of ourselves standing in front of temples and jungle??

2 minutes ago, MaiDong said:

I'm in the process of getting an extension, the agent I'm dealing with has asked for 20 travel photos, but my wife & I haven't travelled anywhere in years, and when we did travel we didn't spend our days taking photos of ourselves, any suggestions as to what we should do? Go out today and take photos of ourselves standing in front of temples and jungle??

I think you to need to find a different agent or do yourself. There is no requirement for photos of you traveling together.

I only need a total of 4 of us together in and around the house with one photo showing both of us with the house number.